Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2020 7:39:38 PM EDT
Here's the rationale behind this three-day get-home bag. First, it is assembled around the premise that I have to travel 30 miles in three days to get to my own home, or a relative/close friend's, under adverse conditions. That would cover ninety-five percent of my normal local travel.

The most likely adverse conditions anticipated, in order of likelihood are: (1) Natural Disaster, primarily destruction from tornadoes or other high winds, but also fires or flooding. (2) Civil Unrest with violence and property damage, roads blocked. (3) Man-made Disaster, train derailment with chemical spill or toxic smoke, plane crash with extensive property damage and/or toxic smoke, highway pile-up with extensive damage and travel halted.

All of these scenarios anticipate injuries to self or others; that's the reasoning behind the
rather large amount of first-aid supplies. Conversely, I've included very little in the way of foodstuffs and cookware: just enough to boil water and make a hot drink with a carb-cookie on the side. That's more than enough for 72 hours.

It's meant to be suitable for all four-seasons. There is enough ground insulation and shelter to be adequate for winter use. It wouldn't be luxurious, but there's more than enough to prevent hypothermia here in southern Ohio.

I chose a Swedish military pack which doesn't look very military, but still works very well and is comfortable. I think it would draw a little less attention than full-on tactical molle equipment.

It's somewhat heavy, at just under 27 pounds. Depending on the actual conditions encountered, several pounds of equipment could likely be left behind without compromising any needs.

Please let me know if you see any gaping holes, or unnecessary items, in what I've packed.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Swedish 35 L, K pack                               5.78  pounds
gen II alice waist belt and pad

GI self-inflating sleeping pad                    2.10

8 x 10' tarp, six ball bungees,                   1.90
eight tent pegs, 50' 550 paracord
in stuff sack

SOL bivy in stuff sack                               0.52

Snugpak jungle blanket                            1.62
in stuff sack

First Aid kit part A  meds, instruments      2.62
in zippered pouch:

(4 pr.) nitrile exam gloves
(3) Sharpie markers
(1) instrument and suture kit
(4) Saljet 30-ml. saline rinses
(1) 12-ml. irrigation syringe
(1) CAT tourniquet
(1) Sam splint
(12) alcohol swabs
(4) povidone-iodine prep pads
(4) benzalkonium chloride towelettes
(4) Woundseal topical powder
(2) 3.5g Burn Jel w/lidocaine 2%
(4) triple antibiotic ointment
(4) .9g hydrocortisone cream 1%
(2) ammonia insect-bite wipes
(1) 4-oz. bottle of eyewash
(1) plastic eye cup
(2) diphenhydramine caplets
(8) ibuprofen caplets
(10) Anacin tablets
(12) Norco 5/325 caplets
(2) Loperamide HCL caps
(3) 4 5/8 x 3 3/8" moleskin padding
(2) mylar space blankets
(1) roll of 1" wide Gorilla tape

First Aid kit part B dressings, bandages     2.26
in stuff sack:

(4) 3x8" Telfa dressings
(4) 4x4" Kerlix dressings
(2) 4x4" petrolatum dressings
(2) 3x4" non-stick dressings
(2) 3x3" sponges
(2) 2x2" sponges
(2) 2x1.5" non-stick dressings
(2) HyFin Vent chest seals
(1) Watergel 2x6" burn dressings
(4) TegaDerm 2 3/8"x2 3/4" film
(2) knuckle bandages
(4) 1" band-aids
(10) butterfly closures
(2) 10x14 cm Lidoderm patches
(1) 3" x 4' QuickClot gauze
(2) 3" x 4.1 yd. rolled bandage
(1) 40x40x56" triangular bandage
(1) T3 Israeli bandage
(1) 8" abdominal bandage
(2) tincture of benzoin ampules
(4)  x 4" Steri strips
(2)  x 3" Steri strips
(2) 1/8 x 3" Steri strips
- assorted elastic bandage rolls
 and dressing tapes

3M 7800S  respirator with particulate      1.90
and gas filter cartridges, in
drawstring bag

Spare 7090 particulate filter cartridges   0.14

Spare 7253 gas filter cartridges              0.84

Mora fixed-blade knife and sheath         0.30

Multitool and sheath    

Spare glasses w/ clip-ons                        0.28
in hard-shell case

Streamlight Stylus flashlight with             0.20
two sets of spare batteries

8x folding binoculars in case                   0.50

AM/FM/SW/SSB radio with long-wire      0.92
antenna and earbuds (uses same batteries
as flashlight)

Cooking kit  Etekcity stove, propane
cannister, pot, lid, mug, and spoon          1.70

Sawyer water filter, backflush syringe,
water storage bags, in stuff sack             0.70

Fire starting kit: 2 Bic lighters, wire saw,  0.14
wet-lightable fire tabs

3 Pairs of merino wool hiking socks         0.70

1 weatherproof hat,
1 pair mechanic's gloves                          0.26

1 package of Datrex survival bars, 6 instant
coffee, 3 instant soups, 8 chicken bouillon   1.60

26.98 pounds
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see any rope, got to have a rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRxvC3nV_ho

lol couldn't resist. But maybe toss in some 550 cord it always comes in handy. Awesome first aid kit. I didn't see a stapler, I like a stapler better than trying to do stitches in the field. I think it's all a bit of over kill and more than you need. But you do you. It's a kick ass kit, lol I should have something like that in my truck when I am hunting....
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, impressive.

For as much as you have, including the stove, I’d say you may as well add some more high calorie but light weight freeze dried foods, and a few cans of sardines or tuna.  Then you could stay out for days.

Or ditch the stove/gas to save weight and just add caffeine pills, another emergency ration bar (maybe the cinnamon) and some jerky.  

Did you want food that would warm you up?  Looks like cold weather camping...

Med kit is fairly complete.  Stapler is something I have in all my kits.  And Imodium and Benadryl.  

I’d also add a knife.  6-7” fixed blade.  

If cold weather is the concern, a hatchet instead of the wire-saw.  Faster to cut firewood and you can use as a weapon, and entry tool.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I just read the OP.  Somehow I came in just below at the first pictures.

I would definitely add pepper spray/tear gas and a firearm, since neither is mentioned.  My preference would be a pistol caliber carbine (like an MPX) with 250 rounds and 4 mags for scenarios you described.  Or an 8” AR in 300 BLK that will fit inside that pack.  Accurate from a distance and good for work up close.  A pistol wouldn’t be sufficient in all those instances.

And maybe a poncho or wind/rain jacket.  Small, light, but you definitely want one if it is cold and wet.

And one of these for water access.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good.  I’d add

Photo copy overheads of your main hwy to your house. Attention to rivers and creeks, bridges and secondary roads. Good old fashion map. Or printed copies of satellite photos.

Photo copy of proof you live there.  After a disaster you may need to show proof you live there.  

Para cord.

Lighter

Outdoor faucet knob.

Attachment Attached File

Road flares.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd recommend trying things out. On a weekend maybe strap on your pack and try walking 10 miles (assuming you haven't).
I think you'll find that the more things you can eliminate the better. And you'll find that either A. 10 miles/day is easy and you can easy power through 15, or B. 10 is way too much and 3 days isn't realistic.
I'd also agree with others about adding defense. Even just a pocket pistol your not attached to, even if you CCW. A spare mag or 2 and a back up gun wouldn't hurt.

I'd also recommend adding more food. You CAN survive without, but your performance is going to suffer if you aren't maintaining a high caloric intake.

Also, something I've recently started exploring is a bicycle. You can travel exponentially faster on bicycle, and go many of the same places as walking (obviously not through thick brush). And if you find yourself in a situation, you can easily just abandon the bike and go on foot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd recommend trying things out. On a weekend maybe strap on your pack and try walking 10 miles (assuming you haven't).
I think you'll find that the more things you can eliminate the better. And you'll find that either A. 10 miles/day is easy and you can easy power through 15, or B. 10 is way too much and 3 days isn't realistic.
I'd also agree with others about adding defense. Even just a pocket pistol your not attached to, even if you CCW. A spare mag or 2 and a back up gun wouldn't hurt.

I'd also recommend adding more food. You CAN survive without, but your performance is going to suffer if you aren't maintaining a high caloric intake.

Also, something I've recently started exploring is a bicycle. You can travel exponentially faster on bicycle, and go many of the same places as walking (obviously not through thick brush). And if you find yourself in a situation, you can easily just abandon the bike and go on foot.
View Quote

Good advice on trying things out. Sleeping outside in your sleep gear is probably tied for your pack in importance.

The most important thing is your pack. How does it carry the load, is it comfortable & can you move fast over varied terrain? The faster you move the quicker you’re safe at home.

If it doesn’t work out (and you can afford it) get something that will. I’ve heard many recommend going with a backpacking bag like an Osprey Stratos or Kestrel between 28-38 liters.

On food I’ve switched to thinking protein powder, coconut oil, oats & peanut butter may be the best way to go for weight/calories/space & ease of use. All can be made without fire, but hot food is nice when it’s cold. Freeze dried is nice for weight, but requires water, pack space & heat.

Other stuff like some of the extra filters & med items could be whittled down, but that’s a trade off decision you’ll have to make. It’s easy to get carried away wanting to keep adding shit to your pack.

The most important thing you can take with you is what fills the space between your ears.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#12]
A consideration that few people think of.

Based on your stipulated ~30 mile range, I'm assuming that this is the average driving distance from home, for work? If you're driving, have you ever considered a folding bicycle for the trunk?

I have one of these:

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Yeah, yeah, that particular model's a little excessive (I got it at an incredible deal). There are cheaper models in the Montague line. The Paratrooper model was designed literally for that usage - Paratroopers.
https://www.montaguebikes.com/product-category/mountain-bikes/

But if I'm mobile enough to hike 30 miles home, it's a 2-3 hour bike ride depending on situational conditions. I agree that a GHB should focus on light and fast. This is about as fast an option there is, that can be folded up and stuffed in an average car's trunk, and unlike a lot of folding bikes, these are actually quite capable. I've taken mine on trails and it's held up just fine (it IS a hardtail, and I'm not going crazy hardcore downhiller on it).

Montague Paratrooper & Paratrooper Pro Folding Bikes Overview
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#13]
As for the bag and contents, it looks pretty good.

A few things to consider:
- the wet tinder expires. Be sure to check it every 6 - 12 months. The stuff dries out even in the original sealed micropouches and becomes useless for firestarting. An alternative that works quite well is either cotton balls or dryer lint dipped in vaseline. They used to store really well in the 35mm camera film canisters lol. These days, vitamin/medication bottles should do the trick.
- QuikClot is dependent on your blood's clotting factor (doesn't work well if you're on blood thinners). Celox Rapid doesn't. I also prefer the z-fold packages because they're a lot easier to use than a roll (like the QuikClot roll in your pack). One of those things you hope not to need, but if you wind up needing it, it needs to be maximally effective, and easier to use under duress is an advantage. Take a long bandage and roll it up, and another one folded accordion-style (z-fold). Dunk your hands in ice water until they're numb to simulate loss of dexterity, then see which one you can more easily stuff into a makeshift crevice/wound, without dropping the rest of it (and contaminating it).
MissingImage

- headlamp. Having a hands-free light source is going to be a huge help, whether it's using tools or medical gear. Zebralight (I know... Made In China) have unmatched runtimes and brightness levels. Their UI takes some practice to familiarize, but once you've familiarized yourself with it, it allows you to select the optimal brightness level for what you need, which is great for conserving batteries, not blinding yourself and/or being discreet.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the excellent suggestions! Some of the items mentioned are already there: 550 paracord ( you can see it in last photo; also on inventory list), and a Mora fixed-blade knife (see list). The stapler is an excellent suggestion, although I was planning on a different wound-closure technique. It involves affixing tape on either side of the wound, and then stitching the tape rather than skin. I've practiced it, and it's fast, painless, and (I've read) leaves a much smaller scar. I'll check into the stapler; I've never used one.

The sillcock key is a critical item I missed-- thanks!

Also great idea: laminated local maps or aerial photos, and photocopies of critical documents/licenses. Perhaps a basic compass?

Some items are not in the pack itself, but alongside it in the car next to the tools and vehicle spares. Broken-in hiking boots, rainsuit and boonie hat, water, etc. The idea of an additional firearm and ammo has merit. My EDC is a Walther PPS M2, but I can see the possibility of that being confiscated at a law-enforcement checkpoint. I'll think about burying a subcompact pistol and a small amount of ammunition in the tarp or jungle blanket.

I'll replace the wet tinder with dryer-lint-and-vaseline. I didn't know that the tabs deteriorated. Excellent observations about better substitutions for some of the first-aid supplies.
I'll also replace the flashlight with a headlamp. Makes much more sense.

The folding bike is a great idea. In the immediate aftermath of the multiple tornadoes I've been through, foot travel is almost always the only way. However, in other scenarios, the bike would make getting home a matter of hours rather than days.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the excellent suggestions! Some of the items mentioned are already there: 550 paracord ( you can see it in last photo; also on inventory list), and a Mora fixed-blade knife (see list). The stapler is an excellent suggestion, although I was planning on a different wound-closure technique. It involves affixing tape on either side of the wound, and then stitching the tape rather than skin. I've practiced it, and it's fast, painless, and (I've read) leaves a much smaller scar. I'll check into the stapler; I've never used one.

The sillcock key is a critical item I missed-- thanks!

Also great idea: laminated local maps or aerial photos, and photocopies of critical documents/licenses. Perhaps a basic compass?

Some items are not in the pack itself, but alongside it in the car next to the tools and vehicle spares. Broken-in hiking boots, rainsuit and boonie hat, water, etc. The idea of an additional firearm and ammo has merit. My EDC is a Walther PPS M2, but I can see the possibility of that being confiscated at a law-enforcement checkpoint. I'll think about burying a subcompact pistol and a small amount of ammunition in the tarp or jungle blanket.

I'll replace the wet tinder with dryer-lint-and-vaseline. I didn't know that the tabs deteriorated. Excellent observations about better substitutions for some of the first-aid supplies.
I'll also replace the flashlight with a headlamp. Makes much more sense.

The folding bike is a great idea. In the immediate aftermath of the multiple tornadoes I've been through, foot travel is almost always the only way. However, in other scenarios, the bike would make getting home a matter of hours rather than days.
View Quote

The stapler is something I'd reconsider. Although it's not the weight of a pair of pliers, it takes up space and adds weight (the whole oz = lbs).
Look into these instead. They don't work that well for the uber hairy folks, but since you mentioned the tape and suture option, this should work for you and take up little space/weight (at the cost of.... well, cost)
MissingImage

They even come with a 'practice' set, so you can practice applying it before you need the actual thing.

Couple that with Vetbond (vet version of dermabond)
MissingImage

or if you'd rather go cheaper
MissingImage

As for the Paratrooper bike, one of the reasons I got it, is that it's a pretty decent mountain bike, unlike the more compact folding bikes with the little toy looking wheels that are only intended for paved/smooth roads. In most cases, if you can hike the terrain, there's a good chance you can ride one of those unless there are a lot of gullies, deep water crossings etc. Even if you have to go around some obstacles, it's not a motorbike. It's a lot easier to lift it over obstacles. Over a 30-mile trip, with the exception of very specific types of gnarly terrain, even with maneuvering around obstacles/debris etc. it would be a lot faster. Look into the various puncture sealant or puncture resistant options for the tires.

And yes, laminated maps and a compass for finding alternate routes is a plus.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Where I live the water can be real muddy if it has rained lately.  I carry a few painter's strainers and a few coffee filters to pre-filter water.

MissingImage

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a well thought out kit.

If it were me, I'd have more thermal stuff for sleeping.

Long underwear and a hoodie are probably the most effective for the space they take up.

Maybe a fleece neck gaiter and watch cap.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I suspect that a 10 mile day with thirty pounds in that pack is going to suck real bad.  I would replace that pack with a commercial model with a real waist belt and padded shoulder straps.  You want to think like a backpacker, not an 18yo soldier.  The waist belt should carry the weight and the shoulder straps hold it vertical.  While hiking that can be adjusted to move some of the weight to the shoulders and relieve the hips.  Those should straps don't appear to have any padding and very little adjustment.  ALICE belts are mainly to keep the pack from bouncing around.  Trying to load the hips with that will suck donkey dicks.  The Swedish pack might be improved with a MOLLE waist belt and shoulder straps, IF it can be attached sufficiently.  I would still recommend a commercial pack.

Kelty MAP 3500 for $53

The Kelty MAP 3500 is a great pack.  I have one and have used it for overnight backpacking trips and as a travel bag.  That price is a steal.

Have you ever used a wire saw?  Do you really need a saw?

I would drop the suture kit and add another Israeli or OLAES bandage.  (If you are trained in suturing, the situation may be different.)

Bandaids and butterfly bandages are lightweight, but I've found that I generally have to add duct tape(90mph) or electrical tape to make it last any time if I'm doing anything.  I would add more gauze and tape and drop the bandaids.

The 7800 mask is pretty heavy and bulky.  Can you get by with some N95's or N100's and a pair of goggles?  You will be outside and likely avoiding contact.

I might have missed it, but I don't see rain gear for you or a pack cover.  Always prepare for wet and cold.  Ponchos suck, but have the benefit of covering you and your pack.  The Snugpak patrol poncho sucks less.  It has sleeves and is made to cover the pack.  I have monkey arms, so the sleeves are a little shorter than I like, but ti covers the important stuff.

A light fleece jacket might be needed.  The Snugpak blanket will be hard to wear while walking.  Snugpak also makes a patrol poncho liner.  It and the Snugpak poncho could take the place of the bivy and have a dual purpose.

Trash bags.  Heavy duty contractor bags have multiple uses.

No backpack is waterproof.  Even with a pack cover it's a good idea to pack everything inside plastic bags, inside your backpack.  At some point rain will find its way through your pack.

Clothing and footwear?  Do you normally wear suitable hiking clothing for work?  A good pair of broken-in bona-fide hiking boots is necessary.

Toilet paper, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, and Desitin(butt butter) in a ziplock bag.  Write "THANK YOU TRAILS-END" on the ziplock bag.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#19]
1. Ditch the binos

2. You have quite a cooking set up but other than some instant soup no cook able food. I’d ditch the stove, pot, and fuel and replace with 2k calories worth of protein and candy bars.

3. Check out the petzl e+lite for light and fast while still providing a workable amount of light.

4. I’d pare down the first aid kit a bit, but that’s me.

5. It says Ohio. I’m sure you sleep setup is fine in summer and shoulder seasons but I doubt it would be adequate in winter.  For summer I’d also re-think the tarp and look for a silnylon shelter or something more minimal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I skimmed the contents list and looked through the photos

My only initial question is since you said it was a bit heavy how much would the pack weigh without the frame? Or a similar sized hiking pack (not military-like to stay within your goals of blending in better) that would carry the weight without a frame?

I’m not familiar with that pack at all so the weight consideration of the frame may be a non issue, just curious
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#21]
That pack frame and waistband look mighty uncomfortable to me. I've been running a Kelty Redwing 50L with much comfort, room, and success and it travels in airplanes well.

MissingImage

The Etekcity I had literally broke in half so, as they are cheap, buy a 2nd burner as a backup. Otherwise get a Jetboil and coffeepress if you want a comfort item. MSR windburner or PocketRocket are also good options.

MissingImage

Add some Lipton noodle or rice packages with some canned chicken for a good meal. You'll need a few of those. Mountain House meals are worth it as well.

My gut feel is you've got too much first aid and can pare that down some but it looks well organized. I see you have hydrocodone in there. Might want some metronidazole and some antibiotics if something gets infected. Also more wet wipes to reduce chafing. Antibiotics you'll need to discuss with your doc but augmentin and doxycycline come to mind. Cipro if you know when to use it. Your fish will always appreciate your antibiotics.

Need more cordage and a decent handgun with 3 spare mags. I like 9mm these days especially with a keltec sub2k that uses my glock mags. But the keltec adds 4lbs.

Water filters are a requirement. Theres a ton of options and even iodine tablets work in a pinch but have gatorade to kill that iodine flavor.

Run your pack for 10 miles and camp overnight. You'll find what works and what doesn't. I don't know what you weigh but generally humping 20% of your body weight will get old quick. If you can get to 10 to 15% of body weight in your pack thats a lot better.

Don't overlook this thread: Recommended Reading
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#22]
If it were my pack I would ditch the extra filters, possibly just one extra. Also ditch the stove fuel. Fire starter if you need heat but carry food you don’t need to heat. Tuna, power bars, that kind of thing. Maybe throw an MRE or two in there. Also toiletries, bar of soap, tp. Water bladder, canteen.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#23]
If that's your GHB for 30 miles, I'd hate to see what you'd pack if you were actually far away

Get rid of redundancies, though. If you have steristrips, no need for the suture kit. If you have a multi tool, no need for the mora, etc. You don't need three sharpies. You don't need four scissors, your multi tool has scissors. If you're in a place where you need a gas mask, you're loitering, move faster.

You're trying to get home, not start a mobile health clinic, btw.

ETA - I'd ditch the stylus for a headlight, they're more versatile.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#24]
JMHO:

#1 would be for a better pack.  I see the Kelty redwing 50 recommended and I second that (that's what I use.)

Other than that I like your thought process and planning as mine runs similar.

I keep a full change of cloths in mine as it doubles as a go bag/ ghb.

I also toss two or three full MRE in that can be dropped if not needed.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Where are you storing it?  I've noticed that it is easy to keep extra seasonal stuff in a bag next to my hiking pack.  If I'm not dressed for the weather, I can change immediately before leaving.  
Is the pack comfortable for you?  If not, get a different one ASAP.
Have you tried all your food?  I found out one time that I had trouble eating my food when exhausted (felt like trying to eat cardboard pellets).  Make sure you have a minimum of 1K calories per day (and even that will have you tired and miserable, if you start in good condition).  Food and water is really critical for moving.

I'm not sure the binos and mask/filters are the best use of weight and space.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#26]
You’ll simply have to take your pack out on a few long hikes and see if it works for you.  I suffered several years of the medium and larger ALICE packs, so I don’t have much love for those designs; but they’ll work as intended, just not comfortably.

Are you an EMT or in the medical field?  That’s a large medical kit.  While I can appreciate the “good Samaritan” planning, I would consider another strategy.  Get a couple of cheap surplus wool blankets and store the med kits in a small shoulder bag.  You could always leave it, take it with you or cache it along your route, but if you have your vehicle, you have some items to help others if needed.  Keep a smaller, personal FAK in you pack.  You can “what-if” pack way too much weight if you’re not careful.  The kit is great, just have a plan if you have to start jettisoning weight.

What’s your water plan?  Yes, empty bottles (those Evernew collapsible bottles are excellent BTW) and a filter are good to have, but do you also have a case or jug of water in your vehicle and what water sources are available on the routes home?  While collapsible bottles are compact when empty, consider keeping a regular water bottle.  It just helps when filtering water or transferring water. My Sawyer filter is packaged with a small cup as sometimes water sources are literally a trickle or puddle and you need to collect the water before filtering.  

Surprisingly, I have to force myself to eat a hot meal the first day or two when backpacking.  It’s just the stress of hiking on the body and it affects your appetite.  I wouldn’t say don’t have something to eat, just figure out your appetite and how stress affects it.  Water is far more important.  For colder weather, a hot soup or drink is pretty important and can be critical if you get soaked and getting close to hypothermic.  Do have “ready to eat” snacks that you can eat on the go, the calories are beneficial and an empty stomach will distract you enough to cause a mechanical injury or make another stupid mistake.

Headlamp.  I strongly agree with the recommendation to get a headlamp.  Having both hands free is extremely important if you have to navigate out of a collapsed building, or maneuver through an urban area or woods at night. Even setting up your tarp at night is better with both hands and not needing to cram a flashlight in your mouth.

I like the Montague bike idea so much I now have two; excellent mountain bikes.  They’re a good investment and can be stored (folded) in a compact car (I kept mine in my wife’s Subaru Crosstrek for a couple months when working in VA when I was using her car).  They require a little more time and maintenance, so unless you actually plan to bike a little, it can be a pretty steep investment.  There biggest advantage is speed if you’re forced from or have a disabled vehicle.  I’ve done some off-trail mountain biking, so they can be quite capable…but again, they require experience at riding.  I didn’t necessarily need a folding mountain bike when I was still Active Duty as I just stored my older mountain bike in my office at work.  Just another option to consider…

Again, spend some time in the dirt.  Get familiar with your kit, get training if you need it, and put some mile on a trail with your pack.  Continue to update and improve your bug-home plan which is the most critical part.  I applaud you for opening your post by defining your requirements for your area and your thought process and decision making that informed your bug-home kit.  That’s’ the first step in being prepared is to define the “threats”.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#27]
tag for home
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
1. Ditch the binos

2. You have quite a cooking set up but other than some instant soup no cook able food. I’d ditch the stove, pot, and fuel and replace with 2k calories worth of protein and candy bars.

3. Check out the petzl e+lite for light and fast while still providing a workable amount of light.

4. I’d pare down the first aid kit a bit, but that’s me.

5. It says Ohio. I’m sure you sleep setup is fine in summer and shoulder seasons but I doubt it would be adequate in winter.  For summer I’d also re-think the tarp and look for a silnylon shelter or something more minimal.
View Quote

Agree with everything, except #4.

My FAK would be a few knuckle band aids, motrin, maybe the norco.  That's it.  It's three days.  What are you going to do that needs a burn kit?  Sutures?  A bunch of pain killers?  Wound care supplies (soap and water,  dude). A TQ and hyfin? While I'm not opposed to an IFAK, if you're using those,  your bug out just became a hospital admission or dead en route.

Thirty miles is not much if it's flat or highway, and not much more in rolling hills.  Let's face it, thirty miles can likely be done in 12 hours in ideal conditions.  Sometimes lighter is better.

On the bike idea, consider one of those razor scooters.  Lighter than a bike,  saves time and energy on the downhill, easier to pack and carry, cheap enough to ditch.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#29]
get rid of the gas mask
keep the binos (or something that lets you see what's ahead of you).   a little drone would be great.

i'd have a summer kit and a winter kit.  swap the tarp and bedding for a bug net and sunscreen/bug spray in the summer

2 pairs of socks
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
get rid of the gas mask
View Quote

I think it's very much dependent on your location and/or starting point.  If you're working in an office building, basement area, or any urban area in general, it could come in handy for the initial evacuation.  Dust, chemical cloud exposure, smoke, etc. can really prohibit your breathing (and you should also have tight fitting goggles to protect the eyes).  I think it's one of those items that would likely get "cached" once you cleared ground-zero, but I wouldn't jettison it if my location or job was in an urban area to begin with.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#31]
past several years my starting point would likely have been INSIDE a chemical plant, as i traveled to my customer (fortune 50 chemical manufacturer) almost every week.   and I never even owned a gas mask.  (though i have attended quite a bit of mandatory training on what to do in various chemical incidents).   if you have to walk past a plant that has lost containment, my advice is walk way way upwind and around it, as it could cause serious problems on your skin too.  and it will be on the ground and in the water too.     for me, the likely use cases for gas mask are some tyrannical police force trying to convince you to leave whatever building you're hunkered down in, or you are out protesting and get gassed, again, by a tyrannical police force.

if you've got lots of extra space and weight, sure why not?  but i'd take more water/food any day
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Glad I found this thread. Great info. We are a bit different in that our home is our bug in location. We do however travel far and wide hence we don't worry too much about getting "home" as much as living where we find ourselves at any given moment.

Our motorhome MAY be a target but it(us) is prepared to fight it out. It may seem silly but we are 61&66. Our options are limited in terms of "hiking" home. One thing that many seem to forget is how will YOU cross/ford large rivers. In the 200 miles between my son and I there are 5 rivers to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#33]
A great item to pack is magnets.

Take apart old HHD's and scavange their magnets.  They're rare earth, have alot of strength for their size and have dozens of uses.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok I’ll bite.  What use do you suppose justifies weighing your get home bag down with heavy rare earth magnets?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you do much hiking or have you tried an extended hike with this setup?  30 miles is definitely doable in one day in a threat free environment.  Two days is more realistic if you're worried about civil unrest and avoiding populated areas.  Planning for three days gives you extra time so I'd say you're right on the money there.  Remember though, ounces equal pounds... cut some weight...

(+ negligible) Add more loperamide.  Two tablets is just the first dose, and aside from ibuprofen it's probably the most commonly needed OTC.

(-2.10 lbs) Ditch the sleeping pad.  You have a bivy sack and for a 3 day bag the pad is a luxury not a necessity.

(-2.88 lbs)Ditch the mask and filters...throw in an N95 if you're worried about requirements inside buildings for COVID but a full blown mask is overkill.

(+ negligible) Add a detailed map that covers your daily local pattern of life. You're not carrying water so you'll need to know where to find some.  Topo maps make it nice to see where you can use terrain to your advantage if you're avoiding urban sprawl.

(-0.50 lbs) Ditch the binos for a small light monocular if you insist on having some sort of observation capability.

(-0.30 lbs) Ditch the fixed blade knife.  The multitool has one in it.

(-1.00 lbs) Ditch the instrument kit.  Keep the suture needle and a set of forceps at most. Ditch some of the excess first aid stuff.  Carry enough to render self care or care to one person.  Think of it like an IFAK...it's for you and only you.  That stuff is bulky and takes up valuable space.

(same) Ditch the survival base and add a few mountain house meals (have you ever tried those survival bars...trust me...get some mountain house meals).

That saves you 6.78 lbs and brings the weight to right at 20 lbs.  Get a lighter pack and you can save a few lbs as well.  It may not sound like much, but removing the equivalent weight of an AR-15 from your pack will make a big difference.  Wherever you're storing this bag, pack another with clothing appropriate for all seasons.  If you ever have to execute your plan, grab with clothing you need and just leave the rest.  Same goes for ammo for your sidearm.  Can't hurt to leave a few loaded mags in with the clothes.  If it's that bad our that you're not just driving home then it might not be a terrible idea to have another 45-50 rnds of ammo loaded in mags at the ready.  I keep three loaded G17 mags in my glove box for that purpose.  They work in my 19, 19x, 17, and 26.  Grab them or leave them, the option is there.

ETA:  I replied before reading the suggestions so I didn't get on the group think train, but I think you're getting an idea of common themes.  Ditch the repetitive stuff and focus on being more agile.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ok I’ll bite.  What use do you suppose justifies weighing your get home bag down with heavy rare earth magnets?
View Quote

Hard drive magnets are extremely lightweight for their strength. I use 2 to hold up a blanket along the side of my car when loading a kayak.

For a BOB/GHB, you can use them in lieu of button rocks for shelters, tie a string to use to reach metal objects you cannot reach, hold your jacket closed if the zipper fails, etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Four Way sillcock tool.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
ETA:  I replied before reading the suggestions so I didn't get on the group think train, but I think you're getting an idea of common themes.  Ditch the repetitive stuff and focus on being more agile.

(-2.10 lbs) Ditch the sleeping pad.  You have a bivy sack and for a 3 day bag the pad is a luxury not a necessity.
View Quote

Agreed on being more agile.  My only caution is that if your kit is four-season, keep a sleeping pad, but look for a lighter one.  Anyone in the survival community will tell you, outside of wind and rain, your ground insulation is twice as important as your top-cover insulation.  You can improvise, but it takes a lot of time...it's less about comfort and more about conserving calories.  You can get a NeoAir, short pad (47" torso pad) that is under 6oz, and/or grab a folding Z-Rest and cut to your desired length if you don't mind a little bulk.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Just thinking, you'll probably freeze in just a jungle blanket.  They're not much good under about 60 degrees.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I wouldn't change much. Go try it out, see what works and what fails.

If it was me, I'd have a different nutrition plan. Think less like someone going camping, and more like an endurance athlete.
Water and electrolytes would be my priority. My favorite sports drink powder is Scratch Labs, but Gatoraid works fine too. Hydration is critical, studies show that even mild dehydration causes less vigilance, attention, and memory. That's the opposite of how you need your brain to be working in a bug-out situation. Plan to drink a lot of water.
For food I wouldn't carry a stove or pots. Tuna pouches, candy/chocolate bars, and dried fruit can easily keep you going for 30 miles. I might add one stripped MRE, simply because a hot dinner is such a morale boost.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Looks good.  I’d add

Photo copy overheads of your main hwy to your house. Attention to rivers and creeks, bridges and secondary roads. Good old fashion map. Or printed copies of satellite photos.

Photo copy of proof you live there.  After a disaster you may need to show proof you live there.  

Para cord.

Lighter

Outdoor faucet knob.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/292049/683DB5BB-5622-474B-B2F7-8183011ECCD2_jpe-1433064.JPG

Road flares.
View Quote

not all faucets are designed alike. get a sillcock key with multiple fittings.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#42]
1. Get a lighter and better suited bag. I personally use an older Golite (they are out of business) ultralight pack that weighs 1.4 pounds and can easily hold everything you list and more besides. Get a neutral tone pack cover.

2. The mask. Keep it in a separate bag next to you pack in the car. If you need it it will most likely be while getting out of an urban area and can then be cached for later retrieval or dropped if necessary.

3. The med kit is excessive. You are responsible for you not others. Pare it down and then pare it down some more. Addition listed above are good suggestions.

4.  Shelter. You are fine for Summer and the shoulder seasons but wi yet in the Midwest can be downright brutal at times. I know I grew up there and we had snow here in CO last week. Think about more modularity and switching out your shelter/ sleep systems as the seasons change. For anything but summer it seems light on sleeping gear and staying warm. I keep a 40 deg down bag and a KIFARU Woobie in my pack with an additional Woobie in the trunk. When we get our first frost/ snow I switch out to my synthetic 0deg bag and keep the Woobie.

5. Yes it’s 30 miles home. In a straight line down the highway. In any kind of scenario where you would need your GHB you will likely be off road and cross country and avoiding things like people and possible checkpoints. I face an almost exact same distance if I am at the office but I will have to detour around an AFB which will add 4+ extra miles and the attendant time. My scenario is based on an assumption of 45 mikes because of possible detours. Plan accordingly with your food supply. BTW if I am at the far end of my sales territory it could be 90-100 mikes home for me. If weather hits while you are walking g home you might be hunkered down in an abandoned house/building/farm shed or shelter you improvised and riding the storm out.

6. Food. I would ditch those ration bars as they are a bit nasty and unappetizing. Replace them with bars you have tried and like. I bet you can get more calories for the same weight. I like Cliff and Meal Pack bars.  Also look at Mountain House. Nothing lifts the spirits line a warm meal and a hot cup of soup. Also you might want to add a couple of stripped down MRE’s. My theory is 1/3rd 1/3rd and 1/3rd. By that I mean 1/3rd is things like Cliff style bars, tuna pouches (Spam has higher caloric content) and other things I have tried and have a high caloric content like a small jar of Peanut Butter. This allows me to cold camp with no one able to smell anything I might cook. My 2bs 1/3rd is stuff like Mountain House (or the home made equivalent) that I can cook for a morale boost and smell isn’t an issue. The final 1/3rd is stuff like more bars, dried fruits, and MRE components that I can literally eat cold while I am walking it sitting and waiting something out. I also keep 7 vitamin packs as well.

Look into electrolyte replacement packets. Everyone has their favorites but I still like the original lemon line free Gatorade.

Keep the stove. It gets cold where you are and warm food is sometimes a thing.

7. Binos. I knew a small pair of light weight compacts so I can observe the terrain/route ahead of me. Monoculars are also good. Sometimes there are just thinks your cannot pick up with the naked eye.

8. Hygiene. I would add more wet wipes and a piece of Park Towel. Super absorbent and dries quick. Add a small joker sized bar of soap in a ziplock and a travel sized tube of toothpaste and travel tooth brush. Yes you can walk home filthy dirty and not brush your teeth. I’ve done that in Africa. Still I find when hiking which is what this is a form of, that being able to clean up makes me feel better and I can make more miles and feel less crappy when the day is done. You might also consider a 2x2 piece of green scrub pad and a small bottle of Dr. Bronners liquid soap for cleaning your cook gear.

9. Hydration. I would  only consider 3 additional things. Water Purification  pills for when you don't have time to stop and filter. They can work for you while you walk. The Gatorade will kill the taste. Coffee filters as a pre screen for sediment. And lastly a couple of more water bladders in case you know fo a dry stretch or you have to lay up somewhere because of a storm/injury, people you want to avoid.

10. Some method of defense. I run a G19 with an RMR so if I have to I can engage beyond normal iron sight range. I have 2 spare Magpul 21 rounders on my belt and 2 more loaded spares in my pack along with a spare box of defensive ammo. You are not looking for a fight but rather to avoid it dksengage as soon as possible. I could honestly did th the box of ammo to save weight.

11. Light. I use a Blackdiamond head lamp personally. There are a lot of good ones out there. I also keep a Regular Surefire G2 and spare batts for them. That could be switched to a Photon Microlight to sage several ounces.

12. Clothing. I saw you Keep a rain suit and some other stuff already with you in the car. Like my shelter suggestion above I keep seasonally appropriate clothing and outerwear in the car in a separate bag.

Parka w/ hood
Beanie
Winter gloves
Fleece gloves for around camp/ lighter tasks and honestly they fee amazing.
Kenetrek boots
Thermals
Fleece.

For summer I keep a summer version of the above but never less than fleece and beanie and fleece gloves and my desert boots.

This way I can select appropriately and leave the rest behind.

You have a decently thought out kit but a few changes will really up your capabilities.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Holy shit I'm not the only one that does that!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#44]
In addition to the additional snivel gear that's been mentioned, I think the chow list could be improved.  I'd add Jerky and dried fruit.  Easy on the go energy that you can always look forward to.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
5. Yes it’s 30 miles home. In a straight line down the highway. In any kind of scenario where you would need your GHB you will likely be off road and cross country and avoiding things like people and possible checkpoints. I face an almost exact same distance if I am at the office but I will have to detour around an AFB which will add 4+ extra miles and the attendant time. My scenario is based on an assumption of 45 mikes because of possible detours. Plan accordingly with your food supply. BTW if I am at the far end of my sales territory it could be 90-100 mikes home for me. If weather hits while you are walking g home you might be hunkered down in an abandoned house/building/farm shed or shelter you improvised and riding the storm out.
View Quote

This is most difficult aspect and doesn’t get adequate planning invested to developing various courses of action.  I know this has been discussed a lot, but everyone’s situation is going to be different and it’s incumbent on everyone to do their own mapping of primary and alternate routes and assessing all the risks.  Timelines will change.  I live about 25 miles from our work-campus to my house; by road.  In a perfect situation, I could do that distance in about 12-15 hours if I kept my load light, had good weather, and a very low-threat environment.

I have enough experience in the military to know that shit always happens on a Friday, late afternoon, just as the weather turns crappy.  If it’s dark, and bad weather, I just have to get to a couple of identified “hides” to hole up and/or ride out the weather.  There are some fire-break and dirt roads, along with train tracks and a power line cut that can offer alternate (partial) routes.  

Doing a little road march is good training, but cut you planning time into half or even thirds if you’re humping any significant weight through the woods and off-trail terrain.  Additionally, if for any reason the environment turns less-permissive, requiring more situational awareness and caution, consider your walk home, more of a patrol than face-paced race.  I’m hoping for a best case of foot-travel to be done quickly and in one day or overnight; however, I also have to be prepared to bypass two small towns, do some off-road travel, and possibly hunker down for several hours of a severe storm.  The fastest route may not always be the safest or best option, and the most secure route may double or even triple your travel time/distance.  The best plans don’t always survive first contact, but having a robust plan with various options gives you a good basis for fast decision making to adjust and improvise.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I think it's a little much for a get home bag even considering the potential situations as posted.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Before we get to the bag, I have a couple questions.

1.  Distance and type of mileage- If we assume that 30 miles is it, are we urban or rural?  Road or cross country.  If urban, suburbs or worse?  I ask because your location will likely determine your load.  Flat land or road, you can haul ass and make better time.  Rough country or deep urban is a whole different animal.  If conditions and weather prevent you from going more than 8-10 miles a day, you will need more food and sustainment items which adds weight.  If its smooth and easy travel, you can basically use a day pack and haul ass to get there.  You can probably remove half the medical, gas mask, etc. since its only just to get you home.

2.  Your measure of success.  What I mean is whether your goal is just getting home as quick as possible (haul ass) or will you need to move slower and more methodical.  My idea of GHB is go as hard and fast and as light as possible for as long as possible.  Survive / scratch shelter for minimal sleep and make it happen.  If your measure of success is get there in less than 2 days (very feasible), the ditch everything but quick food and basics.  A 5lb pack will get you there.  If its going to likely take you 3-4 or more days, then your pack as it is will be closer to where you end up.  Though, I still think you can shed 5-6 lbs.

3.  Hazards along the way.- Will you be limited by bad people, water, fences, etc. This will make that 30 lb pack feel like 300 in a real hurry.  Evaluate to see what is most likely along the way.  Play the odds.  Odd of gas in most places, zero.  Odds of needing a tool kit, firearm, or 550 is 50/50.  Pack accordingly.

4.  Do the math.  What is your REAL distance.  It may be 30 on a map, but will it end up being 50 with detours, etc.  Also, do the math for how fast you can hike on foot on a good day.  My pace can be around 4mph or better than some being 6'2".  Can you maintain a 3 mph average (pretty easy if you are fit) then with some dedication and easy ground, that is a one day trip (10ish hours).  It will completely suck but you likely wont die.

5.  Can you really carry that pack for 30 miles?  Be honest with yourself.  You don't have to test if all the way to 30 miles, but can you go 5 miles in the woods with that loadout without stopping and not be wasted?  What about 10?  If you are feeling any hot spots on your feet, shoulders, etc. after 5, you are going to hate it at 10+...

Once you really sit down and go through some of this thought process, you can get a fresh approach on your bag.  As to the bag, love the med supplies, and out of the box for the gas mask.  Solid thought and work.  That said, if its a 30 mile bust it out as fast as you can, a small day pack and pair of tennis shoes will get you there with minimal fuss.  

LD
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Whoaaaaa,,,,,, K I'll bite.
Load up your pack. Put it in the closet.
Buy a light weight weather proof pack.
Put in a light tarp, poncho, tyvek kind of bivy.
A pair of socks (merino wool), poly pro undies and t shirt,
A few boo boo strips, triple anti bio, favorite pain goods.
A few mre or equal.
A quality multi tool and fire starter.
canteen and cup or sporty equal.
Stow it in your vehicle. be safe.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Whoaaaaa,,,,,, K I'll bite.
Load up your pack. Put it in the closet.
Buy a light weight weather proof pack.
Put in a light tarp, poncho, tyvek kind of bivy.
A pair of socks (merino wool), poly pro undies and t shirt,
A few boo boo strips, triple anti bio, favorite pain goods.
A few mre or equal.
A quality multi tool and fire starter.
canteen and cup or sporty equal.
Stow it in your vehicle. be safe.

View Quote

That's not to far off from my go bag...  
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#50]
There's a lot of good info in this thread. I agree that you'll probably want to cut down on the cooking supplies. You can get pretty far with nuts, MRE peanut butter, beef sticks, those survival Hotpocket doodads, some of your lifeboat survival bread stuff, etc. I'd probably add some Gatorade powder.

As far as medical supplies go, I would suggest some items that can do double or triple duty. For instance, I don't carry any bandaids. I instead carry those rubbery gauze rolls. One can use that stuff as a sling for broken drumstick, as a normal bandage, to make a splint, etc.

I would also get a more modern backpack and one that looks less "military." Obviously, your bag doesn't scream "super turbo Delta Seal" the way some go-bags do, but it does still like like the bag of a man who knows what he's doing, which I consider to be a liability in a civil disorder scenario. I'd go for something that looks more like some dad's diaper bag or some lumbersexual's hipster hiking setup. Moreover, there are some pretty fancy bags on the market that will probably be way more comfortable than what you've got going on there.

I'd also throw a Broco Jimmy bar into the mix. It's never a bad idea to have a master key that will help you access temporary shelter. It wouldn't hurt to have some cash on hand either.

All that said, that is a really great setup. You've clearly put a lot of thought into it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top