Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2021 9:31:00 PM EDT
I need a hand pump for a shallow well at my BOL.  I looking for an old school, pitcher-type pump.  There are many available, and they all seem to be made in China.  Can anyone recommend one?  

Something like this:

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#1]
This is still made in the USA, and Lehmans has a couple made in the USA also.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I know you said shallow so you're probably fine but I'm going to mention this just in case you don't know already.

That style pump cannot pull water very far up from underground. There is a physical limit of around 30 feet, take a few feet off for leaky seals, take off the 4 feet the pump sticks up above the ground, and factor in that the pump will be less effective as you near that max depth. If your static water level is deeper than 15 ft you may want to consider a pump that puts the pumping mechanism down the well. If it's deeper than 25 ft you cannot use that style pump.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 to SigWowner's comments... I built a PVC deep well piston pump when I was not able to draw with a pitcher pump... this video shows the basic... I blocked off the pump handle with a nickel to prevent water from entering the PVC used as a pump handle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdUlyblmKhQ
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I have a natural artesian well.  The well casing is sunk down in the middle of a wet spot where the spring wells up  There is actually water up in the pipe above ground level, so the pitcher pump is more than adequate.  I'm going to put a 10' drop pipe on it to be safe, but I think that will do it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.  I have a natural artesian well.  The well casing is sunk down in the middle of a wet spot where the spring wells up  There is actually water up in the pipe above ground level, so the pitcher pump is more than adequate.  I'm going to put a 10' drop pipe on it to be safe, but I think that will do it.
View Quote

Sounds like it will do great then!
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top