Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2022 2:13:16 PM EDT
Request for pics of bridges you have built or bought prefab for crossing creeks on your property with a sxs or vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't have bridges. I made berms and jumped the gap.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Stupid question:  Why did you not remove the axles, or at least the wheels and tires?
I know of a few old flatbeds used for bridges and they always removed the axles.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting thread topic, looking forward to this one.

No good examples to show myself. Built a few when I was younger but they weren't really made to last long term. One rotted away after 10 years or so, and I remember another washed away in a flood.

Building a house on the property I grew up on and we have a culvert under the driveway at the bottom of the hill for a stream. Might never get to it but sometimes I think it would be nice to get rid of the culvert and go with a bridge. The culvert can be kind of a pain, higher maintenance, and once in a while we'll have rains heavy enough that the culvert can't keep up. It's never a long term problem, maybe the stream runs over for an hour or so, but when that happens it sometimes does some damage.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
did a video of the trails/ bridge for the atv/utv's on my property

and like above I thought about a trailer for on other area on my property. it's still an idea

UTV / ATV firewood trail making with bridge for the Polaris ranger on the homestead
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
6’ wide
Approx 27’ long

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Appprox 3’ wide
25’ long

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Might do a cable/suspension style bridge this year.
I’ve got quite a bit of 3/8 cable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Those look dang nice.  The support mid span really helps with carry the load, but if that creek takes on much water, it's like a magnet for floating debris that can try to rip the whole thing apart.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#10]

I was just reading an article a week or two back (for the life of me I can't remember where), that a lot of poorer rural counties have been using surplus rail cars to reconstruct old county road bridges.  Cool idea.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Those look dang nice.  The support mid span really helps with carry the load, but if that creek takes on much water, it's like a magnet for floating debris that can try to rip the whole thing apart.
View Quote

Thanks for the compliment!

I get down in the creek and grab the sticks and stuff that collects.

Poles are pinned to the large stones on the bottom and pinned to the deck with rebar.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#12]
@Blackfox
I believe he has one on order for his "project"
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Blackfox
I believe he has one on order for his "project"
View Quote

You would think it would be easier, but I'm roughly $500K into this project and still have no actual steel.  My project is a 100' full span galvanized steel bridge 22' wide with concrete pad and fairly over-engineered abutments.  Her weight rating will be 100,000 lbs, which will allow us to have concrete trucks, 18 wheelers and other vehicles (tracked or wheeled) access the island.  

These are old drawings, but give you the idea.  The bridge now has two massive gates included and a squared off profile on the trusses.  

Here's a better idea of what it will look like when done:

The existing bridge is a little less glamerous.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
@BlackFox

Impressive!!!

I’ve got one more bridge than you right now…….does that make me the winner of something?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@BlackFox

Impressive!!!

I’ve got one more bridge than you right now…….does that make me the winner of something?
View Quote

A smarter man than me?  

The old joke about owning a boat versus having a friend with a boat is a real thing .  The same is true for owning a bridge versus knowing somebody with one.  The amount of red tape around boat clearance, weight/vehicle placards, inspections, leases from the State and more are real.  I'll have no less than $1M in this 100' bridge and gate system when it's all done.  Don't be me
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A smarter man than me?  

The old joke about owning a boat versus having a friend with a boat is a real thing .  The same is true for owning a bridge versus knowing somebody with one.  The amount of red tape around boat clearance, weight/vehicle placards, inspections, leases from the State and more are real.  I'll have no less than $1M in this 100' bridge and gate system when it's all done.  Don't be me
View Quote

Smarter……unlikely.

Gonna put toll gates on it to recoup some costs???

Mine are recycled wood/telephone poles/steel tube drops. Maybe $150-$200 in fasteners/etc.

Next bridge will likely be a cable/suspension foot bridge.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]
any ideas to get over a swampy section?

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

How far a span and what are you driving across?

In the construction industry they use “mats”

Lumber glued or bolted into squares to spread the weight out.

I’ve seen them 10x10 and also made out of large 8x8 timbers
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Going off memory, I want to say the last time we priced mats at work they were like $800/each, and I think that was for 10' x 10's.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#20]
A new neighbor to me put this bridge in recently.  At first, I thought it was two 20' or 30' container flat racks, but I'm not sure now.  Can anyone confirm what these were before he turned them into a bridge?

I have no idea what this spring mechanism is for:

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Flat bed deck with some kind of fold-up ramp or lift gate?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Flat bed deck with some kind of fold-up ramp or lift gate?
View Quote

I’ve seen similar “pallets” at the airport for freight.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Going off memory, I want to say the last time we priced mats at work they were like $800/each, and I think that was for 10' x 10's.
View Quote

One of my customers at work makes mats in suburban Chicago.

I’ve been told I can have my pick of them……no way to haul them though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe 40 feet total. I want to get a UTV/atv and my Kubota L2501

Quoted:

One of my customers at work makes mats in suburban Chicago.

I’ve been told I can have my pick of them……no way to haul them though.

How far are you from the board near Lake Geneva? we can figure out a way
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

maybe 40 feet total. I want to get a UTV/atv and my Kubota L2501

How far are you from the board near Lake Geneva? we can figure out a way
View Quote

They are approx 10 miles west of the Illinois/Indiana border.

One of our bridges is ATV/UTV safe…..no way my L2501 is going over it though!!

I’ve scaled it at 4000 pounds.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Any idea how much weight a flat bed deck can handle as a bridge?

I need to rebuild a ~40 bridge and it will need to support cattle haulers w/40k+ lbs of calves. I’m thinking two flat beds side by side could handle it?

I’ve got some big 5’ plastic culverts I considered using but I’m not really confident in that.

I don’t want to spend $500k, but I also don’t want a load of calves in the canal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any idea how much weight a flat bed deck can handle as a bridge?

I need to rebuild a ~40 bridge and it will need to support cattle haulers w/40k+ lbs of calves. I’m thinking two flat beds side by side could handle it?

I’ve got some big 5’ plastic culverts I considered using but I’m not really confident in that.

I don’t want to spend $500k, but I also don’t want a load of calves in the canal.
View Quote

I'm no engineer, but I've operated and transported heavy equipment most of my life. Two flat bed semi trailers side by side should carry the weight easily. That would only be 10 tons each. Depending on how often it's used for heavy loads, you may want to pour reinforced concrete abutments at each end for them to sit on, possibly with piles driven beneath for a foundation if soil is sandy or loose. I would definitely tie them together with straps welded to frames beneath and welds where they contact each other at the top to prevent them from moving independently with load and vibration from traffic.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm no engineer, but I've operated and transported heavy equipment most of my life. Two flat bed semi trailers side by side should carry the weight easily. That would only be 10 tons each. Depending on how often it's used for heavy loads, you may want to pour reinforced concrete abutments at each end for them to sit on, possibly with piles driven beneath for a foundation if soil is sandy or loose. I would definitely tie them together with straps welded to frames beneath and welds where they contact each other at the top to prevent them from moving independently with load and vibration from traffic.
View Quote

Thanks. It would have concrete piles and abutments.  Pretty sandy soil and, during the occasional hurricane, the canal can get a good flow going.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A new neighbor to me put this bridge in recently.  At first, I thought it was two 20' or 30' container flat racks, but I'm not sure now.  Can anyone confirm what these were before he turned them into a bridge?

https://i.imgur.com/BylZeF4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tGq34Z3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5ogATxx.jpg

I have no idea what this spring mechanism is for:

https://i.imgur.com/Ivhp6NY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WUKJ3bV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MjGwJPk.jpg

View Quote
I talked to the owner last night.  These are container railroad flat cars; running gear removed.  He got them from a place in MS.  He bought two rail flat cars plus pre-made concrete abutments plus placement for $27K.  Each flat car is capable of a 100K lbs load!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top