Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2021 6:21:13 PM EDT
So I finally decided to update my firmware on my Pi Star since it was WAY out of date.  I got the new firmware but I keep getting Interface is down for my wifi even after using the wifi building and adding it to the SD card.  I am using a Zumspot I purchased 2 years ago I believe.  Can I just get a USB-C to network adapter and have it hardwired into my internet and work?  My hotspot never leaves the house so the wifi isn't that big of a deal for me but I would like to get my TGIF DMR back up and running again.   Yes, I was an idiot and did not back up my old version prior to doing the update.....
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You would need to get to micro USB to Ethernet adapter if you are using a Pi-Zero, not a USB C to Ethernet.

Micro USB to Ethernet Adapter

It's much easier to navigate Pi-Star and make adjustments via ethernet than through wifi.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would need to get to micro USB to Ethernet adapter if you are using a Pi-Zero, not a USB C to Ethernet.

Micro USB to Ethernet Adapter

It's much easier to navigate Pi-Star and make adjustments via ethernet than through wifi.
View Quote

Thank you K9-Bob I ordered the adapter and should hopefully be here tomorrow thanks to Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't even need that.  You can run IP over the USB cable on the pi zero.

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/66431/headless-pi-zero-ssh-access-over-usb
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you K9-Bob I ordered the adapter and should hopefully be here tomorrow thanks to Amazon.
View Quote

If you are not a Linux nerd or an IT millionaire like most of the ARFCOM elite claim to be, the below link will help you find the IP address of your Pi-Star hotspot and any other device connected to your home network. You can type in the IP address number (ie 192.168.1.30) as in my case and the Pi-Star dashboard will open right up.

Angry IP Scanner

Angry IP scanner is a very fast IP address and port scanner.  It can scan IP addresses in any range as well as any their ports. It is cross-platform and lightweight. Not requiring any installations, it can be freely copied and used anywhere.

Angry IP scanner simply pings each IP address to check if it’s alive, then optionally it is resolving its hostname, determines the MAC address, scans ports, etc. The amount of gathered data about each host can be extended with plugins.

It also has additional features, like NetBIOS information (computer name, workgroup name, and currently logged in Windows user), favorite IP address ranges, web server detection, customizable openers, etc.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I am IT dangerous I know enough to get me to points and then use YouTube and the likes to figure out stuff from there.  Probably why I still haven't figured out how to set up digital modes on my IC-7200.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Once connected to ethernet, Pi-Star is a snap to adjust.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Once connected to ethernet, Pi-Star is a snap to adjust.
View Quote

I really like the sounds of that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
So it is working again.  Apparently I have used up all of the contacts memory in my Anytone 868 because I still see just DMR ID #s and not the User info on my radio.  Guess I will have to look at putting a screen on my hotspot so I can get a little more info on who I am talking to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So it is working again.  Apparently I have used up all of the contacts memory in my Anytone 868 because I still see just DMR ID #s and not the User info on my radio.  Guess I will have to look at putting a screen on my hotspot so I can get a little more info on who I am talking to.
View Quote

Thats pretty impressive!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]
K9Bob helped me after I got my first hotspot and bricked it  get a second sad card and make a backup! This is true for all things pi.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:36:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the full worldwide DMR ID database has something like 194K contacts. Many hams are installing only the USA/Canada database to slim the contact list down.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top