Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2017 7:06:42 PM EDT
Has anyone hunted on a pheasant ranch? (stocked birds) Is it worth the money for a fun hunt on private land?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While WI stocks their public land, but the time you figure $10 for a pheasant stamp, 42.75 for a NR license, $38 for a NR park pass ($11/day otherwise) and $12 admission to walk around with a couple hundred other folks to tray and get your 1 or 2 it's almost more economical to go drop $120 for 3 birds.
View Quote
Stay in state, then.

There is no real wild pheasant population in IL anymore so controlled pheasant areas or private hunt clubs are all that's left here.

2 bird limit, $30. Just was at Kankakee this weekend. It's not the same as wild, but it ain't bad and it's definitely affordable.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Stay in state, then.

There is no real wild pheasant population in IL anymore so controlled pheasant areas or private hunt clubs are all that's left here.

2 bird limit, $30. Just was at Kankakee this weekend. It's not the same as wild, but it ain't bad and it's definitely affordable.
View Quote
Same, was at Chain O Lakes. I think its $34 and change for 2 birds. It's no Max McGraw but it gets the job done. There are tons of local/ semi local hunt clubs that are member run and aren't that expensive
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Canned hunts have their place.  Fringe ranges where pheasants may not do well in the wild, training dogs, corporate type occasions, getting new/youth hunters on birds.  I'm all for it.  I used to work at a club in high school, from guiding with my dogs, to doing all the other fun stuff like standing inside a large netted enclosure catching roosters to put blinders on them or clip spurs.  Our hunters always shot a mixed bag of wild and released birds depending on the properties we hunted.  we maintained 1500 acres of grass and heavy cover, so we usually had good recruitment and winter carryover.  

here in South Dakota, most of the big lodges are releasing birds at least 2-3 times per season now.  Especially those that are running groups of 20 guys each weekend and who knows how many during the week.  I don't care how many places advertise "100% wild birds."  all that means is they didn't release the birds that morning and you are beholden to the state wild bird limit of 3 per day.  I do a few corporate hunts each fall and I always laugh at the guides that try to act like the 60 birds we just shot are all wild.  there are a few different ways to tell which ones are wild and which ones are released.  

I get "left over" birds from a pheasant farm sometime between thanksgiving and christmas each fall.  Usually 20-30 roosters that don't have any tails (long tailed birds sell out because they appear to be wild to the average hunter).  We release them on 65 acres of grass and have a family hunt.  It's not all that sporting, they don't flush the greatest and are pretty dumb, but it's fun to get all the family kids some shooting without having to walk the cattails and willow thickets to get to where the wild birds are that time of year.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Hunting on pheasant farms is all I’ve done to this point, but I’m working on raising a bird dog because of my experience there. My family usually goes on a hunt once a year at a local bird farm. For us it’s a great day in the field as no one has experience with bird hunting, we’ve only had rabbit dogs. I’m sure it’s much different than a wild hunt because most of the birds don’t flush until you about step on them. But it’s still a fun day especially to get your feet wet.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Went with three buddies about two years ago.  
Just us four and the guide and two dogs.
It was a full day walking in the grass lands and a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I make at least one trip to the pheasant farm each year a week or two before we go to South Dakota for the annual week long trip. Its a good way to make sure the GSP is on her game and warmed up for the wild birds.

The one we go to is only $20/bird and scratch birds are free. We paid for 20 birds between the 5 of us and left with 26.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#8]
For you guys that are new to dog training, do yourself a favor and don’t train on planted, pen raised birds.  If you cant train on wild birds, you are better off training with pigeons in launchers, than training on pen raised. Being able to control the flush with a launcher is orders of magnitude better than relying on a pen raised bird to move or flush properly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Years ago I bought some pheasants and chukars from a local game farm and stocked a field we own.  The pheasants didn't flush or fly very well, the dog even caught one by the tail, but the chukars flew great.  If I was going to do it again I'd get all chukars.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Years ago I bought some pheasants and chukars from a local game farm and stocked a field we own.  The pheasants didn't flush or fly very well, the dog even caught one by the tail, but the chukars flew great.  If I was going to do it again I'd get all chukars.
View Quote
The place we hunted offered chukar but I didn't get any. I'll probably do a mixed bag next time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For you guys that are new to dog training, do yourself a favor and don’t train on planted, pen raised birds.  If you cant train on wild birds, you are better off training with pigeons in launchers, than training on pen raised. Being able to control the flush with a launcher is orders of magnitude better than relying on a pen raised bird to move or flush properly.
View Quote
Wrong,
If you have a QUALITY breeder, you can train dogs.
The birds I have seen rasied around me can go from South Dakota to South side Chicago
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top