Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2020 9:10:46 PM EDT
For some reason last time I went out in my boat the livewell stopped working. The livewell pump, a johnson 1000 gph cartrridge model is located in the bilge. It is turned on byna switch at the helm. I pulled the pump and hooked it up to a small 12v 7ah gel cell. The pump made a few sounds like it wanted to turn but wouldn't. I figured the pump must be bad so I bought a new pump. I put the new pump in and it fired up like normal. I oniy ran it for 5 to 10 seconds. I tested it again a couple hours later and it ran fine. So I came back to test it again the next day. It started up like normal but I quicky heard the pump slow down and speed up. That got worse and then it just stopped and would not run. I cut the wires and with a multimeter was able to see voltage swings on the line. To fix this I cut out the only splice could see in the line. I figure my next step is to run new wires from the switch in the helm to the bilge, where the pump is located. Is there anything else I should try to diagnose this? It's weird because it ran fine the first couple times I tried it then went on the fritz.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a poor connection, likely heating-up after running a short while. Run a new wire, solder connections if you have the ability.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:52:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#2]
With a mm connected to the wire in place of the pump and the switch at the helm turned on the mm shows a stable 12.4v. With a pump and the multimeter connected at the same point and the pump turned on by the switch at the helm, the mm shows 10.4v. I think this voltage is too low to run the pump.

Does this still point to replacing the wire?

I was going to run a new positive wire but the odd thing is, if I look at the outgoing + at the switch that is used for the pump it is brown with black strip. The wire at the pump is only brown. That's got me a little puzzled. The outgoing + on the switch must go through something else to turn into straight brown.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Sheesh. I just left the pump and mm connected with the switch turned on. The voltage comes up initially at about 10.4v the the voltage starts bouncing around and the pump makes a thumping sound. The mm goes to 0v, around 8v, and then 10.4v. The pump does not spin at all but it is getting power. At least I don't hear any spinning. Could it be a bad pump? I also hooked the pump up to the house battery directly and the pump did not run. I did not check the voltage at the pump for this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 8:11:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: to2gas] [#4]
Originally Posted By rssc:
With a mm connected to the wire in place of the pump and the switch at the helm turned on the mm shows a stable 12.4v. With a pump and the multimeter connected at the same point and the pump turned on by the switch at the helm, the mm shows 10.4v. I think this voltage is too low to run the pump.

Does this still point to replacing the wire?

I was going to run a new positive wire but the odd thing is, if I look at the outgoing + at the switch that is used for the pump it is brown with black strip. The wire at the pump is only brown. That's got me a little puzzled. The outgoing + on the switch must go through something else to turn into straight brown.
View Quote

As said, sounds like connection is breaking-down somewhere (losing voltage). Replacing the wire/connectors shouldn't be a major deal.

If you like, connect the pump directly to a 12v power source (like a battery charger, just read other post and saw where you connected to battery) and see how the pump runs. If it's fine, you've isolated the problem.

Wiring gets spliced/replaced over the years. Color coding sometimes no longer applies 100%.

FYI 12.4V is about 80% charge.

Sheesh. I just left the pump and mm connected with the switch turned on. The voltage comes up initially at about 10.4v the the voltage starts bouncing around and the pump makes a thumping sound. The mm goes to 0v, around 8v, and then 10.4v. The pump does not spin at all but it is getting power. At least I don't hear any spinning. Could it be a bad pump? I also hooked the pump up to the house battery directly and the pump did not run. I did not check the voltage at the pump for this.
View Quote

Depending on what else is connected to this (start?) battery, are you having any related issues from anything powered from this battery?

Possible to have a bad battery, even though it shows 12+ v, but not enough to actually power something.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Guys, I am just puzzled. I got out to the boat this morning, disconnected the new Johnson pump and put a rule 360 GPH pump in it's place. The rule was meant to go in a bait bucket so I was just using it for testing. I then flipped the switch at the helm and the rule pump turned on and ran fine for a couple minutes till I turned it off. The rule was hooked up using the alligator cables and not crimped. I then put the Johnson pump back in place with alligator clips and tried it. It now works too. The voltage at the pump drops to 12.2v. It is about 12.v4 when measured at the battery. The odd thing is, last night after developing problems I did hook the Johnson pump directly up to a 12v battery, it would not run. I also noticed that last night when the Johnson pump started developing issues it was also heating up. The voltage was also fluctuating wildly. The voltage was 100% stable today.

This is exactly what happened last time where when I put the Johnson in it worked. I came out to the boat a couple times in the following couple days and turned the pump on for 5 to 10 seconds to make sure it would fire up. About the second or thrid time I did that the voltage starting fluctuating and the pump started acting up, and then just quit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Is hot running to ground on that leg?

A pumps love is not like a squares
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
If you are connecting the pumps to the existing wiring in the boat with the clips,

Yes I am

I would check the switch itself and maybe bypass the switch for testing purposes. Switches

can become corroded internally and cause a lot of resistance in the circuit. Sometimes just cycling the switch

on and off several times will "clean" the internal contacts and make the switch work again.

I did try a different switch but will try bypassing the switch if/when it happens again.

I would also check any fuses and fuse blocks in the boat for corrosion. The fuse blocks

that use the glass cylindrical fuses in clips are highly suspect and I have fixed many

electrical issues in boats just by removing the fuses and cleaning the clips that hold the fuses.

Sometimes the corrosion isn't visible to the naked eye and sometimes it's very obvious.

The boat has a blue seas power distribution block that uses blade fuses. I will try removing the fuse and reseating it. I don't think I've done that.

There also may be crimp connectors in the harness that are corroded especially if "Bubba"

has been doing his own wiring in there at some point.

A lot of the wiring in the boat is 20 years old. I need to rewire the boat and am hoping I can get this pump running OK for now and am going to learn as much as I can about rewiring, with the hopes that I can do the job myself. I know rewiring a boat is very expensive. I will doublecheck for any butt connectors that may be bad.
View Quote

Thanks for your help KB7DX. I have added some info in bold above.

It just occurred to me that the butt connectors I am using are the heat shrink type but I bought them on Amazon. They are Chinese and not 3M or another reputable brand. It seems very unlikely but maybe those butt connectors are introducing loss in the line...

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Is hot running to ground on that leg?

A pumps love is not like a squares
View Quote

I felt the main body of the pump heating up and I'm not 100% sure but I think both wires were heating up as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Sounds like a broken wire making intermittent contact.  

View Quote

Thanks for the input osprey21!
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]

I felt the main body of the pump heating up and I'm not 100% sure but I think both wires were heating up as well.
View Quote

If you're running it for any period of time out of water, it probably would heat up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By to2gas:

If you're running it for any period of time out of water, it probably would heat up.
View Quote

I ran it for maybe 30 to 45 seconds. Not sure if that would heat it up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
If you re-wire the boat use only tinned copper wire and use these colors..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108158/d7eba3f0c5478f72f82818c85995664b-1694992.jpg

These are the ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) recommended color codes.

As far as marine crimp connectors, I use the Ancor brand without the built in heat shrink

but use separate Ancor brand heat shrink tubing for marine applications. It has "hot glue" inside which

melts as you heat the tubing making for an absolute waterproof covering.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to do a lot of homework before taking on that project (if I feel confident in doing it). I might just head to west marine and grab some anchor btt connectors and heat shrink, just to be sure I don't have an issue there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top