BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Today is move in day

They have AC in the house and garage, hot and cold water, working toilet, bed, most of the lights, TV, internet, cell phone booster.

Still no kitchen or shower.  They'll be roughing it for a bit and using ours

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

My definition of a home is...

NOBODY ELSE IS ANYWHERE THE F*CK AROUND ME.

Yeah.
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The front porch, sidewalk, and garage door approaches are done!  Got formed yesterday and poured today.  Everything is 6" thick, has wire, and expansion joint material everywhere where it meets the building.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking good! How's the his and hers hot rods coming along?
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking good! How's the his and hers hot rods coming along?
View Quote
Thank you!

Havent done anything on them in a couple months unfortunately.  Been too busy with this build.l and our pole barn was too full of shit to have room to work.  Thankfully my time commitment on my parents house is a lot lower now and we just cleaned and organized our pole barn.  Hoping to get back on the cars in the next couple weeks.  Picked the new 350 up for the Chevelle and just about ready to start squaring and throwing some internal bracing in the Mustang.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Concrete looks great!

They did a good job with the finishing.
View Quote
Thank you!  Very happy with this concrete crew.  They do a very good job and are typically low bid or very close to it.  We use them a LOT at work for stuff ranging from flatwork to ~200 yard machine tool foundations with large rebar schedules and close to 100 core drilled holes that have to be pretty precisely located.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Forms got stripped today!  Turned out great.  Just need to do a little dirt and gravel work around it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Super jealous of that concrete work.

I'm really kicking myself for not having a dedicated concrete crew do mine.

The builder left MUCH to be desired in concrete finishing.
Our poor tile guy
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Super jealous of that concrete work.

I'm really kicking myself for not having a dedicated concrete crew do mine.

The builder left MUCH to be desired in concrete finishing.
Our poor tile guy
View Quote
Im jealous of all your acreage!

Concrete is one of those things that really has to be done right the first time or it's damn hard/expensive to fix.  I've been fortunate to have these guys.  They have done all of the concrete on this project and I've had no complaints!

The tile guy is supposed to be starting on the shower tile tomorrow.  Last major hurdle in getting their place totally livable.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Spent most of yesterday roughing in dirtwork around the new concrete.  Was able to fill in and rough grade both sides of the sidewalk and the front of the porch.  Dug good topsoil out of my dirt pit back in the woods.  Still have two sides to go but will need close to 100 yards of dirt to get the slopes where I want them.  Will have to buy fill dirt for that, don't want that big of a hole in the woods

Dads Kubota RTV with the hydraulic dump bed came in VERY handy for hauling dirt

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Haven't visited this thread in a while but wow you have been busy! I love the direction your going.  Concrete looks great!  I'm getting ready to electrify mine next week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Haven't visited this thread in a while but wow you have been busy! I love the direction your going.  Concrete looks great!  I'm getting ready to electrify mine next week.
View Quote
Thank you!  Glad to hear yours is progressing well.  Would love to see some update pics!
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

SUCH a nice-looking building.

Good job on the dirt work. Smooth is hard with a tractor/loader.

I can't tell how steep the angle is.

Can you ride that with a zero-turn without issue?
View Quote
Thank you!  It really turned out well.  We're just ready to get the yard back to looking good.

Yeah, grading can be a PITA with a loader tractor.  Thankfully this dirt was dry and spread almost like sand.  Made my life MUCH easier.

The slopes are gentle enough to mow with a ZTR.  That was my end goal.  I told them they are buying however much dirt it takes to get the slopes easily mowable

In other news, the kitten is fitting in well at the house!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't really need a full up FRL but at minimum I need a regulator so I can run everything at 90-100 psi.  The pressure switch on our compressor cuts in at 145 and cuts out at 160 psi IIRC.

The filter and dryer in front of the regulator is definitely nice to have.  The compressor makes a LOT of water when it is humid out.  I'll only use the oiler if I'm going to be running air tools for an extended period of time.  I'll need to shut it off to run any paint guns or the sand blaster.

Buying the FRL made sense to me vs buying a stand alone regulator and dryer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you need an FRL?
I don't really need a full up FRL but at minimum I need a regulator so I can run everything at 90-100 psi.  The pressure switch on our compressor cuts in at 145 and cuts out at 160 psi IIRC.

The filter and dryer in front of the regulator is definitely nice to have.  The compressor makes a LOT of water when it is humid out.  I'll only use the oiler if I'm going to be running air tools for an extended period of time.  I'll need to shut it off to run any paint guns or the sand blaster.

Buying the FRL made sense to me vs buying a stand alone regulator and dryer.
I'm sure that you know this, but you will need a dedicated air hose for painting if you are running an oiler, as your existing plumbing and hoses will be contaminated.  Hate to ruin a sweet paint job with an oil sheen!  Looks great, keep up the updates!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bumping to check on @Pavelow

All well with family and life at the Pavelow homestead?
View Quote
All is well here just haven't done anything of note this winter

We've has a warm wet winter and the ground has never frozen up for long.  I had plans to get a lot of the woods cleaned up but I'm not going to do it and rut everything up real bad.

Parents have been in Georgia for the winter so nothing has been going on over there.  My goal come spring is to finish the dirtwork around there house and get everything seeded.

Also on the docket for spring is to finish taking down the last few trees in the yard that need to go then rent a stump grinder to get all the stumps out.  Looking forward to not having to mow around them!
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another check-in.

Everything okay at the @Pavelow homestead??

Parents coming home soon to the space you built for them?
View Quote
All is well!  Been a rough slow winter.  Ground never really froze up so not much got done outside.  Didn't want to track the yard up  The last month or so either my wife or I have been sick

Things are finally starting to warm up and dry out.  Hoping to get back on some outdoor projects soon

Parents should be back up here in a couple months.  They have floors and trim to do and then their place will be done inside.  Still need to get some fill dirt to finish up outside.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#24]
The weather here is finally improving and I'm finally able to get on some of the outdoor tasks

This weekend I got the mower serviced and ready to go for the year.  Tractor is due too, filters and fluids are on the way.

Im getting started on rolling the yard tonight.  No more pulling the roller with the ZTR, get to roll in style this year  Cab, heat, AC, and Bluetooth radio  Your parents moving into your front yard has some perks...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Got a little more yard work done this weekend and got the tractor serviced.  

John Deere 2017 2032R.  I have to say this tractor has the best filtration setup that I've ever seen on a compact tractor, was really impressed.  Everything was easy to get to, slightly cramped just because it's a small tractor, but overall not bad. The side panels were easily removed which made for easier access.  My only complaint was the filters were TIGHT.  Not a knock on JD, every factory installed filter I've ever pulled had been this way regardless of brand.

John Deere offers a kit with all of the filters in it.  Included: air filter, engine oil filter, both spin on fuel filters, hydraulic suction filter, and hydraulic pressure filter.  I also bought OEM fluids.  I only changed the engine oil, 1,200 hour change interval on the hydraulic fluid with the Hy Gard oil.  

Attachment Attached File

First up was the engine oil and filter.  Draining was straight forward.  Pulled the panels on the right side of the tractor to get easy access to the filter.  The big panels comes out with 2 quarter turn fasteners, the small one comes out with two bolts.  All easy to get to.  Engine oil filter on the left, fuel filter on the right.  Orange cap is the engine oil fill location.  I changed this fuel filter at the same time.  4.3 quarts of engine oil and done.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Next up were the transmission fluid filters.  I only changed the filters.  Top filter is the pressurized filter, bottom larger filter is the suction filter.  Both relatively easy to get to, not much mess.  Just to the left of this pic is another spin on fuel filter.  It got changed at the same time.  Took about 2 quarts of hydraulic oil to top it off after the filter change.

Attachment Attached File

After that was the air filter.  Easy access once the left side panel was pulled.  Only complaint was the back clip on the filter housing was a little tough to access with a support in the way.  Overall not bad.

Attachment Attached File

This filter wrench made life easy and let me avoid a lot of cursing and busted knuckles

Attachment Attached File

Overall the service was very easy.  Took about an hour.  Was a little pricey though.  The Filter Pak, 2 gallons of engine oil and a gallon of hydraulic oil came out to around $220  With how many hours I put on the tractor it will
cost me less than $100/year in Maint.  Not bad overall.

Got part of the yard mowed for the third time this season.  Looking OK, need to get a lawn sweeper though

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

$220?

I just paid more than that for the hydraulic change on my mower.
View Quote

Yeah, $220 ish for all of the filters and 3 gallons of oil.  My time is free

Ouch  Shop rates are high these days.  I think changing the engine oil and filter, and oil and filters on each hydraulic drives on our ZTR runs me about $80
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Today is a good day

Finally got tired of toting around and pumping a 2 gallon sprayer so I splurged and got a nice backpack sprayer this year.  I'll type up a review once I get to use it

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Does the lawn roller make a big difference smoothing the yard?

Converting pasture to a home site, I need about 2 days to recover from the beating when I mow.

Thinking of discing it this spring, and possibly buying a roller if it would help.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does the lawn roller make a big difference smoothing the yard?

Converting pasture to a home site, I need about 2 days to recover from the beating when I mow.

Thinking of discing it this spring, and possibly buying a roller if it would help.
View Quote

IMO it gets a lot of the small bumps out but not the larger ones.  Our yard is former pasture as well, the roller helps but it is still awfully rough.  Only thing that's really going to fix it is to till or disc it, level, then re-seed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I do the oil changes on my mower, but it still costs me about $50 because I use fancy oil.  (It's blue.  When it turns sorta brown it's time for an oil change, whether the hour meter says so or not.)

This was the first hydraulic oil change, and I figure for the money (It was only about $230) I get a full checkover from my mower guy, plus any lube and adjustments needed.  I will learn to do the hydraulic change, but it's apparently a little finicky getting it right, so I'm happy to pay until I can take the time to really learn.

View Quote

Biggest PITA on ours is to get everything bled after the oil change.  Not terrible, just have to take the time and do it right.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Very interested in what you think of this sprayer.

I just paid a lot of money for a Flowzone Typhoon with variable pressure.  I like the interchangeable tanks on the Milwaukee, but have concern about some of the other features.  Lemme know how it does for you?

I need another backpack.
View Quote

Will do!  I like the quick change nozzles on the Flowzone but I don't think it's something I'd really ever use.  I spray Roundup and 2,4-D mostly so the interchangeable tanks will work out really well for me.  Since the pump and wand is Inter gral to the tank it makes additional tank expensive unfortunately

What features didn't you like on the Milwaukee?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The cost of the interchangeable tanks, the lower pressure,that fact that it didn't look as ergonomic and the harness didn't seem as viable for me (cuz I'm small and 60 lbs on my back is something I need a significant harness for)and the fact that I wasn't in the Milwaukee battery system. I have DeWalt.

Of course, this Flowzone has its own battery, NOT DeWalt.

Bottom line I saw was that people who aren't specialty sprayer manufacturers don't know how to do sprayers as well as dedicated sprayer manufacturers, if that makes sense?  For occasional use, I think the Milwaukee is probably a good get.  For what I do to a sprayer, I needed something that could take it.

The things I love about the Flowzone are...

The  typhoon is pretty bulletproof, and I can buy and change out ANY part on it...control board, pump, anything, which is a good thing when you run a sprayer hard.  All available straight from Flowzone.  

That is, if they get their stock back up.

People are going crazy for them and everything is now backordered.  Bad time to have a supply line issue.

I can also put a professional lawn gun on the end of it and run a gallon per minute through it at consistent pressure.  As far as I know it's the only backpack available that can do that.  But at a little over $400 shipped to me, it bit some to get it.

The beauty of the interchangeable tank, though, is a draw for sure.  For instance, I need a sprayer just for nonselective herbicides, cuz I won't spray those out of my fert sprayer.  I could carry that tank pre-mixed and just pop it onto the unit.  I want it ALL.
View Quote

Yeah the additional tanks aren't cheap, $149

Looking up the specs of the two I'm seeing 115 psi for the Flowzone and 120 psi for the Milwaukee.  Flowzone is rated to spray 30' and the Milwaukee only 25' though.  Maybe the Flowzone has a better nozzle?

The battery commonality for me is huge.  I'm slowly switching everything over to Milwaukee (my wife has laid claim to all my old Bosch tools ).  Personally I HATE tools that take proprietary batteries.  We're starting to see some industrial tools made by third party manufacturers that take Milwaukee batteries which is a huge plus for us at work.

From trying on the Milwaukee I really don't seeing it fitting a smaller person that well.  I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs and it's a little big.  We'll see how well I can get it adjusted when it's full.

Should be able to get quite a bit of spraying done by the end of this weekend.  I'll do a nice write up in here or maybe start a new thread for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Had some time over the last couple evenings to do some work on my backstop.  Digging more out from behind it to make it taller.  The main portion is about where I want it.  Still need quite a bit more dirt to make the wrap around sides taller.  Hopefully get it finished up this spring.

Also supposed to have 20 yards of dirt delivered tomorrow to finish the fill around my parents house.  The goal is to get the slopes feathered out enough to be easily mowed.  15 yards of fill @ $15/yd and 5 yards of top soil @ $48/yd.  Should keep me busy for a few evenings and a weekend or two.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I didn't know the Milwaukee had that much pressure.

The gun on the Flowzone allows me to attach a lawn nozzle, which has much, MUCH coarser droplets (it's basically a bunch of streams) Which is a plus, too.  Those big droplets help a lot with drift.  

AS to the harness...

Lemme just say, that I cut the harness apart that came with the flowzone, and I took the old harness of my Chapin backpack (not battery) and I rigged the chapin to attach to the Flowzone sprayer, and took the padded shoulder straps from the flowzone, and attached them to the Chapin harness.

The Chapin has a hip belt.    But the shoulder straps cut into my shoulders and neck cuz I've got the whole thing cinched to it's absolute minimum size, to get the weight up higher on my back, and supported by the hip belt.  The padded straps from the flowzone harness make the shoulder rig okay for me, and the hip belt is the game changer.

I need a hip belt if I'm carrying half my body weight on my back.  My shoulders cannot do that.  I'm bent over WAAAAAY to damn far. That's an injury waiting to happen,.  

Rigged up with bastardized harness, the weight is on my HIPS, where that much weight belongs for ANYBODY, but it's especially important for somebody little, like me.

ETA:  I wrote a review and said how much I liked the sprayer, and talked about the harness, and what I did to fix the problem, and suggesting they make a beefier harness with a hip belt for small people like me, and charge an upcharge for it if necessary.

They didn't publish my review.    

Guess they only wanna hear from people who love everything about the sprayer.
View Quote

The interchangeable wands would be pretty handy!  Near as I can tell the trigger on the Milwaukee is just a switch which starts the pump so it can't be changed out.

Ran one tank through it last night, overall very happy with it.  It has a nice wide, padded hip belt which really helped with the weight.  Was a lot more comfortable than I was expecting.

Pressure adjustment only has 5 different settings.  Had no problem finding one that was right.  Ergonomics on the wand/grip are different and was a little uncomfortable at first but once I got used to it was not a big deal.

Overall very happy with it.  Made spraying much more enjoyable and less of a chore.  I'll start a new thread this weekend with a more in depth review.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I have dirt!  20 yards delivered yesterday.  Was too windy and spitting rain all evening so didn't get much done on it last night.  Hope to get most of this placed this weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Most of this will wind up on the east side of the house to make the slope more manageable.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Got all the dirt spread today, going to need a lot more  Another 10 yards of fill and 20 of top soil and we should be ready to seed everything!  Hope to get it delivered this week then borrowing a Harley take from a buddy to prep for seeding.  Wound up digging some topsoil out of the woods to fill in a little more.

Used the fill dirt to get it to within about 6" of where I wanted it.

Attachment Attached File

Then spread about 6" of topsoil to get it to the final grade.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Filled in some around the other side of the building as well.  Need to feather this area out a little bit more.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Still a little steep on that one side, isn't it?

You might be braver than I am about slopes.

I have a roll bar on the mower, but I don't wanna end up needing it.
View Quote

It is steeper than I'd like but easily doable on my ZTR.  Getting it where I'd like it to be would take well over 100 yards of dirt
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Borrowed a buddies Harley rake to start getting everything prepped for seeding in a week or two.  How did I ever live without one of these?

Attachment Attached File

Before

Attachment Attached File

Where I'm at now.  Still need a couple passes on the leach field area.  Then need to hit the trench from the new power feed.  Getting closer!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Few more pics.  I'm loving this tractor more and more as times goes on.  Cruise control on an HST is awesome

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Page / 15
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top