BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OH!  That's awesome!  Will you take a LOT of pics of the shower pour?  I'm doing that in my building (if I ever get it going again) and am highly interested in what you do.  My mason poured a preslope for me, so I'd have enough room for a decent mud base, but I'd love to see what you're doing.  Always interested in learning from other people.
View Quote
Will do!  It'll be next spring when that gets done but I'll take as many pics as I can!

They we're going to have a custom shower basin cast and then installed but the concrete under it needed to be a couple inches lower so it would be flush with the rest of the floor.  We formed it out so they could do it in a separate pour then install the pre cast basin on top.

In the process of putting the form in I got the bright idea to just have them pour a custom shower basin in place instead of having concrete poured then the basin installed.  Now I just need to find someone to do it
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You do it.

I'm gonna, so I know you can.
View Quote
It might come down to that
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Concrete got control joints cut yesterday.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

With those hand tooling variations, that would stain and finish really pretty.

Just sayin.
View Quote
Interesting, never thought of that!  They were planning on epoxy but I'll definitely check that out!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Epoxy is gorgeous, so don't let me influence you.  I'm just kind of in love with concrete done well, even the "live" edges on countertops.  In the long run, I'm not sure it's any less expensive than, say, laminate wood, but I love that it's so individual and no two projects turn out the same.  Kind of like wine--each bottle/floor is an individual and does not finish the same way.
View Quote
Very true!  I would love to do concrete counter tops in our house!

Buddy helped me get the divider wall framed today.  Slowly making progress!

Loving my truck.  Was worried about hauling stuff in the short bed but it has been great!  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Very impressive.  Tag.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very impressive.  Tag.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#11]
We're weathertite!  Finally!

Overhead doors went in today.  Install guy did an outstanding job.  Need to get some stringers between the trusses for the openers then they will be back to install.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#12]
That is really looking great Pavelow!   I'm have a question about that sunbelt excavator. Do you have to have some kind of safety card to rent/run it?  Also, How much would something like that cost for a week?

I'm the poster with the "Let's build a pole barn" thread going on in GD and will need a tool like that come spring to tie in my down spouts and floor drains but need something small/narrow like that I think.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is really looking great Pavelow!   I'm have a question about that sunbelt excavator. Do you have to have some kind of safety card to rent/run it?  Also, How much would something like that cost for a week?

I'm the poster with the "Let's build a pole barn" thread going on in GD and will need a tool like that come spring to tie in my down spouts and floor drains but need something small/narrow like that I think.
View Quote
Thank you!  Always excited to see updates in your thread!

It was just over $1500 for a week including delivery and pickup (20 miles each way).  No safety card or anything needed, just called and told them what I wanted, when, and where to drop it off at.  Call when you're done and they'll come and get it.  Came in really handy for the job.  Would definitely recommend it over a trencher.  If you have experience running equipment you can learn pretty quick.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#14]
How much did Morton charge for the kit and constructing it? I've been getting quotes from local contractors for around $30,000 for the same size as yours. I know Morton's are more expensive, but I haven't ever seen any quotes on their buildings.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How much did Morton charge for the kit and constructing it? I've been getting quotes from local contractors for around $30,000 for the same size as yours. I know Morton's are more expensive, but I haven't ever seen any quotes on their buildings.
View Quote
$83,XXX

High but was only about 10% higher than competing quotes I had from other national companies and some local ones.  There's a lot included in that price that drove costs up:

About a dozen high end Pella windows and install
Shutters
Coupolas
4 man door installs
All exterior walls insulated
Metal ceiling in half of it
Ceiling in the other half was framed out 16" OC for drywall
Interior walls stripped out 16" OC for drywall
8'x26' porch, added a LOT of cost, roughly $10k

If you're just after an unfinished storage shed I wouldn't recommend Morton due to cost.  If you are wanting to finish the inside or use it as living space I would highly recommend them.  I deal with contractors for my day job.  Morton was one of the best ones I've ever dealt with, both their sales guy and construction crew.  Really made my life easy.  They also have a great warranty, gave my parents a little bit more piece of mind since they'll be living in it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

$83,XXX

High but was only about 10% higher than competing quotes I had from other national companies and some local ones.  There's a lot included in that price that drove costs up:

About a dozen high end Pella windows and install
Shutters
Coupolas
4 man door installs
All exterior walls insulated
Metal ceiling in half of it
Ceiling in the other half was framed out 16" OC for drywall
Interior walls stripped out 16" OC for drywall
8'x26' porch, added a LOT of cost, roughly $10k

If you're just after an unfinished storage shed I wouldn't recommend Morton due to cost.  If you are wanting to finish the inside or use it as living space I would highly recommend them.  I deal with contractors for my day job.  Morton was one of the best ones I've ever dealt with, both their sales guy and construction crew.  Really made my life easy.  They also have a great warranty, gave my parents a little bit more piece of mind since they'll be living in it.
View Quote
I know nothing but am planning on building a shop with a carport at one end.  I'm thinking the shop will be 40' x 40' and the carport 20' deep.  I think i'll have a garage door at the carport end and the opposite end and then on the side, along with a man door or 2.  I don't plan on hvac or plumbing, it'll be about 100' from the house.

You seem to really know your stuff.

Could you give me a 30,000 view of what I should be considering?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know nothing but am planning on building a shop with a carport at one end.  I'm thinking the shop will be 40' x 40' and the carport 20' deep.  I think i'll have a garage door at the carport end and the opposite end and then on the side, along with a man door or 2.  I don't plan on hvac or plumbing, it'll be about 100' from the house.

You seem to really know your stuff.

Could you give me a 30,000 view of what I should be considering?

Thanks
View Quote
I don't know if I would go that far

Not entirely sure what you're asking.  Just looking for advice on layout and building design?

Sorry, it's early and I've been half sick all week.  Just let me know what you're after and I'll be happy to help!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't know if I would go that far

Not entirely sure what you're asking.  Just looking for advice on layout and building design?

Sorry, it's early and I've been half sick all week.  Just let me know what you're after and I'll be happy to help!
View Quote
LOL, well I am certain you know a lot more than me.

Any advice.  This is a weekend farm place with the tillable currently leased.

Yes, layout and building design.  If not Morton what kind of construction should I be considering?  Is 40x40 reasonably adequate for a weekend shop?  I'd like to get into hobby black-smithing as well as maintain the buildings and equipment.

What should I be considering?  What makes and doesn't make sense?

hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LOL, well I am certain you know a lot more than me.

Any advice.  This is a weekend farm place with the tillable currently leased.

Yes, layout and building design.  If not Morton what kind of construction should I be considering?  Is 40x40 reasonably adequate for a weekend shop?  I'd like to get into hobby black-smithing as well as maintain the buildings and equipment.

What should I be considering?  What makes and doesn't make sense?

hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks
View Quote
I can do that!

What all are you wanting to store in it?  That will drive the size.  40'x40' is adequate for a weekend shop, but, if you are going to have a lot of equipment parked in it you are not going to have much room to work without moving some stuff outside.

Our pole barn is 30'x40'.  We have my wife's Chevy C20 truck, our ZTR, and 2032R with a loader in it and the building is just about full.  If we want to tackle any bigger projects in it we have to pull stuff out to make room.

If you could give me an idea of what all you are wanting to keep in it I could work up a layout.

I would definitely recommend pole barn construction.  Cheap, well built, and versatile.  Can be used for anything from cold storage to a nicely finished house.

Off the top of my head, I would recommend a few things:

9' ceiling minimum, taller would be better.  Allows for a two post lift
At least two 10'Wx8'T overhead doors plus a couple man doors
Lots of light, LED tube lights are cheap and effective
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I can do that!

What all are you wanting to store in it?  That will drive the size.  40'x40' is adequate for a weekend shop, but, if you are going to have a lot of equipment parked in it you are not going to have much room to work without moving some stuff outside.

Our pole barn is 30'x40'.  We have my wife's Chevy C20 truck, our ZTR, and 2032R with a loader in it and the building is just about full.  If we want to tackle any bigger projects in it we have to pull stuff out to make room.

If you could give me an idea of what all you are wanting to keep in it I could work up a layout.

I would definitely recommend pole barn construction.  Cheap, well built, and versatile.  Can be used for anything from cold storage to a nicely finished house.

Off the top of my head, I would recommend a few things:

9' ceiling minimum, taller would be better.  Allows for a two post lift
At least two 10'Wx8'T overhead doors plus a couple man doors
Lots of light, LED tube lights are cheap and effective
View Quote
I'm angling to build the house next spring and in prep for that want to put in the drive up the hill then level where the carport/shop will be and gravel that as a staging area for building materials.  [wish I could afford to build the shop and store them inside but that isn't gonna happen].  Most likely, the shop will be built in 2020.

Rolling equipment that will be stored in the shop:  I currently own a Kubota 1100 UTV and Kubota B3200, both bought this year.  I plan on adding [hopefully in 2020] a Kubota 7040 sized, bigger tractor.  I can move those out when space is needed to work.  Autos/trucks will be parked under the carport and implements/attachments in a 3 sided roofed 30 x 50 already on the property.

Orientation would be:  North/south 60' wide.  East/west 40' [including the carport].  Carport on the west side of the shop and the house west of that less than 100'.  Driveway [and electrical [plan on 335 amp service [the heaviest offered to residences [plan on 200 going to the house and 135 to the shop]]]], up the hill between the two.  The hillside slopes from north to the south.  House and shop/carport face south into a valley.

I envisioned the 40 x 40 to have a garage door at each end and one on the south [down slope] side.  On the west side the carport would be set.

I'm good with going higher and would like some 2nd floor storage at either end.   Maybe balconies with stairs on the north side [no garage doors on that side] and a hoist[s].  Maybe a balcony on the east and west ends ~ 10' with an I beam between where a hoist can run between them and used to hoist heavy stuff up and also heavy stuff in the middle 20' like an engine or ????.

I'm shooting in the dark on all of this.

I need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm angling to build the house next spring and in prep for that want to put in the drive up the hill then level where the carport/shop will be and gravel that as a staging area for building materials.  [wish I could afford to build the shop and store them inside but that isn't gonna happen].  Most likely, the shop will be built in 2020.

Rolling equipment that will be stored in the shop:  I currently own a Kubota 1100 UTV and Kubota B3200, both bought this year.  I plan on adding [hopefully in 2020] a Kubota 7040 sized, bigger tractor.  I can move those out when space is needed to work.  Autos/trucks will be parked under the carport and implements/attachments in a 3 sided roofed 30 x 50 already on the property.

Orientation would be:  North/south 60' wide.  East/west 40' [including the carport].  Carport on the west side of the shop and the house west of that less than 100'.  Driveway [and electrical [plan on 335 amp service [the heaviest offered to residences [plan on 200 going to the house and 135 to the shop]]]], up the hill between the two.  The hillside slopes from north to the south.  House and shop/carport face south into a valley.

I envisioned the 40 x 40 to have a garage door at each end and one on the south [down slope] side.  On the west side the carport would be set.

I'm good with going higher and would like some 2nd floor storage at either end.   Maybe balconies with stairs on the north side [no garage doors on that side] and a hoist[s].  Maybe a balcony on the east and west ends ~ 10' with an I beam between where a hoist can run between them and used to hoist heavy stuff up and also heavy stuff in the middle 20' like an engine or ????.

I'm shooting in the dark on all of this.

I need all the help I can get.

Thanks
View Quote
@Deuskid

Sorry, been tied up with the holidays.  Had some time this morning so I sketched out these layouts real quick.  Let me know if they are along the lines of what you are thinking.

"OHD" is overhead door, 10'x10'
"MD" is man door, 36"x84"

Personally I would have the carport built into the pole barn as a lean to.  It will look a lot better than just setting a standard carport next to the building.  Will also make it easier to enclose and finish as part of the building at a later date.

On your electrical service I would just put in a 200 amp service with  a 200 amp panel in the house and in the garage as well, if your utility provider and code allows in your AO.  We only have a 200 amp service on our property but we have a 200 amp panel in our house, 100 amp panel in our pole barn, and a 200 amp panel in the new pole barn all connected to the 200 amp service.

We were initially planning on putting a 400 amp service in.  During the planning stages I called our electric company and they provided me with our demand history.  The demand from our house and pole barn had never exceeded 5 kVA (23 amps at 220 V).  With that info and adding up some loads on what all would be running there was no way we would ever exceed 200 amps.  Because of that we just went with a 200 amp service and saved a LOT of money on it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#22]
^

I like that a lot.  I was thinking of carrying the gable all the way over the car port, in essence, a 60' roof.  I guess I could then extend the storage over the car port as well.  This would match the ascetics of the house next to it.  I thought I'd use the same metal roof color.

I have contacted our electrical co-op [they are great folks, well run and owned by us users] and I can get 200 amp for no additional charge or 330 for not much more.  I don't have to decide until next spring [they won't run the line until I have a foundation poured, even though I already have 200 amp service on the property elsewhere [they are well run ]] but I plan on going big.

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks for Your ideas.

edit to add:  should there be an overhead door at the car port end to allow drive through?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
^

I like that a lot.  I was thinking of carrying the gable all the way over the car port, in essence, a 60' roof.  I guess I could then extend the storage over the car port as well.  This would match the ascetics of the house next to it.  I thought I'd use the same metal roof color.

I have contacted our electrical co-op [they are great folks, well run and owned by us users] and I can get 200 amp for no additional charge or 330 for not much more.  I don't have to decide until next spring [they won't run the line until I have a foundation poured, even though I already have 200 amp service on the property elsewhere [they are well run ]] but I plan on going big.

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks for Your ideas.

edit to add:  should there be an overhead door at the car port end to allow drive through?
View Quote
Running the gabled roof the full 60' over the carport would definitely make for a better looking building!  Personally, I would want to spend the extra money and just fully enclose the 20' carport at that point to have it all in one building but I'm not the one writing the checks for it

Putting an overhead door on the west side so you could drive from the carport into the building would make a lot of sense. With how I had it layed out that door would be under your second floor loft.  Would probably be looking at a 7'6" tall door at most with 16' clearance under the bottom chord of the truss.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Can do some more layouts if you'd like.  Happy to help
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#24]
With a metal roof you need to consider "snow slide"
If entries are on a gable end then no big issue BUT..
In paves drawing it looks like potential slide will land in front of doors.
We have this problem.. It lands on a 12 x 50 deck on the South side and in front of a man door on the North.
It will pack and solidify in a matter of an hour & is a bitch to shovel thru.
My snow blower won't even dent it..
Just something to consider if ya get snow.
Good Luck..
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
With a metal roof you need to consider "snow slide"
If entries are on a gable end then no big issue BUT..
In paves drawing it looks like potential slide will land in front of doors.
We have this problem.. It lands on a 12 x 50 deck on the South side and in front of a man door on the North.
It will pack and solidify in a matter of an hour & is a bitch to shovel thru.
My snow blower won't even dent it..
Just something to consider if ya get snow.
Good Luck..
View Quote
Thanks ... good to know

Will factor that into the plans
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Running the gabled roof the full 60' over the carport would definitely make for a better looking building!  Personally, I would want to spend the extra money and just fully enclose the 20' carport at that point to have it all in one building but I'm not the one writing the checks for it

Putting an overhead door on the west side so you could drive from the carport into the building would make a lot of sense. With how I had it layed out that door would be under your second floor loft.  Would probably be looking at a 7'6" tall door at most with 16' clearance under the bottom chord of the truss.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Can do some more layouts if you'd like.  Happy to help
View Quote
Sounds good but since 2 or 3 of the vehicles in the carport will not belong to me or the land wondering if your advice would be the same?  Perhaps No, E and So sides enclosed and let the west be open?
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sounds good but since 2 or 3 of the vehicles in the carport will not belong to me or the land wondering if your advice would be the same?  Perhaps No, E and So sides enclosed and let the west be open?
View Quote
In that case I think I would leave just the west side open.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Getting closer!  Propane hookup to the building is scheduled.  Have a spray foam guy coming next week to quote insulating the exterior of the room above the safe room.  Garage door operators are going in next week.  Just need to finish up insulation in the wall, get some receptacles in the ceiling, blow in insulation then we'll have heat!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quick update.

Life has been good, but very very hectic lately and haven't had much time to update this thread.

As of today we finally have heat in the garage half of the building!  Main power feed is finished up, insulation is done on this half, and HVAC is done in this half.

Finally!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, the insulation is doing it's job  Borrowing a buddies REAP IR thermal scope I may be buying.  Figured I'd see if there were any hot spots on the building.  Looks pretty good, couple spots that need a little attention.

Crappy iPotato pics looking through the scope.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is that a heat leak around your "mudsill"?  I know your building is made differently, but at the bottom there.

I'm not counting the garage doors.  Those nearly always have big thermal leaks.
View Quote
Yep.  Still need to get the dirtwork finished up around the exterior.  The ground has either been frozen solid or too muddy to get anything outside done
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Here too.  It was soaked for weeks, and now it's frozen again.

I'm so over it.
View Quote
Same here.  We got 1.5" of snow Sunday, flurries yesterday and today, and 1-2" forecast for Thursday  A few years ago farmers here were planting corn on March 15.  Its been a long winter.  I'm really hoping the ground dries up soon so I can get some of this dirtwork done before I have to start mowing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Catching up on this thread

Things are progressing well.  We have heat in the garage, which is now full of shit from my parents house so they can get it staged and listed for sale .  All of the walls in the house portion of the building are now framed out and HVAC is roughed in.

Working in getting plumbing in the house done, shower basin poured, and electrical roughed in.  Once that is all done drywall can go up

Still have all of the exterior concrete to do: porch, sidewalk, garage door approaches.  Have a LOT of dirtwork to do once the yard dries out.  Still need to get a pad prepped for the AC condensers.

Storage area above the safe room is spray foamed.

Attachment Attached File

Interior walls in the house

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Things have finally dried up enough to get back out in the range without being up to my knees in mud.  Took the opportunity to get a steel target up after work and do some shooting

Need to get the berm built up taller this year and get the range seeded.  Add it to the to do list

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Things have finally dried up enough to be able to get the tractor out with destroying the yard.

Have a buddy needing some firewood so I let him have the stack of walnut logs we had out back.  We were just going to use them for a bonfire.  Better that they get out to a better use.  Got them moved from out back to up by the road so he'd have some easier access.  There were a couple possums in there that weren't very happy  I've been seeing them with the new thermal every night.  I leave them be since they don't cause any issues.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Started in on the dirtwork and got some of the trenches backfilled.  The center of the big dirt pile was still frozen so it's gonna need quite a bit more work.  Still a little too soft to start on the leach field.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And possums eat even more ticks than guineas.

Looking good on the building projects.  We've had enough dry days to start getting stuff cleaned up outside.  Everybody's mowing this past week.  I'm ready.  More rain tomorrow though.
View Quote
That they do

Thank you!  Plumber and electrician are coming out this week to look at finishing things up in the house section of the building.  Things are slowly moving along.

Its been raining here all day  Might be able to get back on the dirtwork this Wednesday.  Will probably be ~3 weeks or so before I have to worry about mowing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sounds like y'all's ground is still mostly frozen?
View Quote
Its thawed out for the most part.  It's still dropping below freezing most nights so there's a good crust every morning.  Between that and rain every few days things are staying soft, but slowly drying out overall.  The grass still isn't showing any signs of greening up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#42]
We finally had a nice warm weekend here.  Was planning on getting a lot done outside, but we wound up spending all of yesterday bringing home the wife's new toy.  She sold the C20 to fund it.

Attachment Attached File

We spent this morning cleaning out our pole barn, picking up sticks, and got the mower ready to go for the season.  Also got some spruce trees planted that a buddy gave me, mowed right in front of the house where it was starting to get tall.

Was able to roughly level where the leech field was put in.  Will need done a few more times as everything settles.

Now it's raining again

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

At least as productive as our weekend.

Cleaned out one side of the detached garage yesterday, but dark fell before we were anywhere near finished, so we just shoved the "keeper" stuff back in there.  Still needs sorted.  A buddy gave me one of those big rolling toolboxes with lots of drawers.  Excited to get the automotive tools in that, at least.

Rained all day today.  Y'all's weather isn't too far off of ours, evidently. I wouldn't have thought that.

Our soil temps just hit about 56 degrees this weekend. Stuff is starting to grow.

You gonna help your wife fix up that muscle car?
View Quote
That big tool box will be handy!  It's always nice to have all the tools in one spot.  The hard part is keeping them all in one spot

My wife just got a couple small rolling tool boxes from her dad.  Still need to get all of our tools sorted and out in them.

Our soil temps are getting close to 55.  Maybe another week or so and I can start getting some grass seed out out.

We will definitely be working on it together!  Needs a few things before it's road worthy but overall a solid car.  Almost no rust.  She has a set of new pre-bent stainless brake lines on the way, I'm picking up the rubber lines and a new battery over lunch today.  Have a short in one of the wires going to the new HEI distributor.  The previous owners wiring left a lot to be desired.  Will just be putting new wiring for it in.  Once all of that is done it should be toad worthy
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Between the weather and work haven't had a chance to do much around the homestead lately.  I've been spending evenings helping a buddy get his new to him planter set up.  We're putting almost every precision ag add on known to man on it

We had beautiful weather this past Saturday but spent the entire day on the road making a trip to my parents to pick up some things their movers wouldn't haul.  Got their big air compressor, welding table and vise, Millermatic 90 MIG welder, oxy-fuel torch and tanks, argon tank, and some of my shit I still had down there.  Also hauled up a 550 gal diesel tank a friend is buying off my dad.  We already have their 100 gallon diesel tank  All of this will find a home in our pole barn.  The welder and air compressor will come in handy for working on the Chevelle

Rented a 6'x18' tilt deck trailer from Sunbelt for moving everything.  Worked out very well but man is it heavy.  Trailer weighed more than everything we hauled.

Attachment Attached File

Yesterday we got over an inch of rain and it snowed for over an hour  Supposed to be warmer the next couple days so I'm hoping to catch up on the yard after work.

Electrician started on the house portion of the new building today.  Should have some good progress pics to put up later this week!  They got most of the boxes put in today.  Can lights go up tomorrow and they'll start pulling wire.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been able to get the dirtwork around the building roughed in during some of the dry spells we've had.  Still more to be done.

Still need to get a gravel pad put in for the AC condensers.  Will get a load of #53s hauled in and borrow a plate compactor from work.  We will be getting more dirt to feather the slopes out some for easier mowing.

Attachment Attached File

The leach field will need worked a few more times once it settles some more.  Some dirt still needs cut out on the right side of this pic to get proper drainage.  The front porch, sidewalk, and garage door approaches still need poured as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Got all of the trenches leveled out enough to mow over tonight.  Slowly making progress.  Rain again all day tomorrow

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Electrician is getting most of the can lights up in the house.  Should be mostly wrapped up this week.

Attachment Attached File

Tracked down the intermittent no spark issue on the Chevelle tonight.  This was the wire going to the HEI distributor.  Just might be a problem

Attachment Attached File

Also, my wife is awesome

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#48]
The electrician clearly takes some pride in his work

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Another female who will crawl under a car!  I am not alone in the world!  
View Quote
The world definitely needs more of them!
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top