Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2022 4:23:16 PM EDT
I have a 20l jerry can that sprung a hole in the upper 1/4 of the can - on the broad side wall.  It is the wide mouth style if that matters.
I don't know how to weld.  Short of this I'm concerned nothing would stand up the pressure of the summer being in a shed.

Is there a solution for patching this?  The slice is a little less than a 1/4" long.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just replace it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Braze it, weld it, epoxy (JB Weld) in order of decreasing preference.

You have nothing to lose to try it.

ETA, JB Weld is really good stuff. 14 years ago I made my first F1 suppressor. A welded stainless center fire (30 cal) with several circumferential weld beads. The plan was to weld then turn in a lathe to clean up the weld beads. There were a few spots that the weld didn't clean up (weld was below the surface, basically a depression). I filled with several different types of high end, specialty epoxies and they all failed. In desperation I tried the simple auto parts store JB Weld that couldn't possibly stand up to the thermal and shock tortures of a suppressor. 14 years later I haven't had to touch it, it's just as solid as the day I machined it smooth in my lathe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Photo of can.

There are a good number of clones that are sub-standard to NATO specs.

If it is a clone... it will eventually fail again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Didn't think jb weld will tollerate the gas but I see promising info.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
2nd vote for JB weld... i had a leak in the gas tank of an old car, it was from inside out corrosion(water sat in the tank) it was a bunch of pinholes and a pretty weak spot of metal.

"temporarily" used jb weld so i could drive the car and never looked at it again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Welding on a fuel can seems like a Darwin award in the waiting to me.

I'd replace it
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd also replace it.

It might work.  But if it fails, the consequences could be pretty bad.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd replace it
View Quote

There are safe ways to do it. OP said he can't weld so it's a moot point in this thread but a good thing to bring up. A prudent person should seek out the proper steps necessary to render the tank/can safe to weld/braze before proceeding.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#9]
This is relevant to my interests. Weak spot was caused by a dent. Looking forward to more input/suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is relevant to my interests. Weak spot was caused by a dent. Looking forward to more input/suggestions.
View Quote

https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20/
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:51:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Information on "Jerry Cans"

https://www.jerrycan.com/valpro/

https://wavianusa.com/collections/nato-fuel-cans

https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20K2/

buy once... cry once!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHrM0OS9VHE
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There are safe ways to do it. OP said he can't weld so it's a moot point in this thread but a good thing to bring up. A prudent person should seek out the proper steps necessary to render the tank/can safe to weld/braze before proceeding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd replace it

If you are going to weld on a gas tank or gas can you should fill it to the top with water.

After its completed you drain it and let it dry out completely.  Then use a little gas or fuel to rinse it out b4 actual use.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would just replace it.
View Quote

Agree. Too much risk for very little cost.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
POR 15 tank sealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top