Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2020 11:10:20 AM EDT
This would be for a fairly decent RX SDR I have (QS1R, a true DDC radio) to connect to my Ft-897D.
Why do these kits tap off the IF?  why not the main RX stage, same side as the RX before the antenna switch?
Why would you tap off the IF? and then, *which* IF would be "better"?

The reason I ask is the QS1R offers 50MHz of spectrum - I dont believe that much bandwidth will be available on an IF tap?

EDIT:  OK I just figured out that what I described is called "2nd receiver" where you tap just before the 1st IF mixer.  But they claim this caveat:
The input signal for the PAT needs to be picked up before the 1st mixer, and your SDR must be tuned to the frequency/band you are receiving, instead of the IF frequency of your radio.   Operation is different, in that the SDR display will no longer change as you tune the band – it will remain fixed, and you can demodulate any signal seen on the SDR. Of course, if you wish to work a station, then you must net your Tx with the SDR Rx!   See pictures below of 2nd Rx operation.
View Quote
Why must you tune both independently?  Does rigcat not solve that?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the radio. For example, the IC-7300 is a Direct Sampling Receiver, so by necessity is tapped just after the input tuned circuits, while the K3 is a superhet and samples ahead of the 1st IF filters.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the radio. For example, the IC-7300 is a Direct Sampling Receiver, so by necessity is tapped just after the input tuned circuits, while the K3 is a superhet and samples ahead of the 1st IF filters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ok right that all makes sense and lines up with the "2nd receiver" method.  but why do they have that caveat on
Operation is different, in that the SDR display will no longer change as you tune the band – it will remain fixed...if you wish to work a station, then you must net your Tx with the SDR Rx! See pictures below of 2nd Rx operation.
why wouldnt omnicat handle this for you?  what is it about the IF method here that makes is special in that manner?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
prior to SDR radios, superhets were the standard.

Frequencies were mixed to an IF freq for filtering, processing etc.

When everything is converted to one IF freq, it's easiest to process.

this is why IF filters work so well, and why IF DSP works better than AF DSP

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
It's just easier this way. Your panadapter will always be at the center of your radio's frequency, regardless of which band (or frequency) the radio operates on. Also you don't have to link your radio and the SDR receiver to sync. the operating (VFO) frequency.

Some radios, like a Yaesu FTDX-3000, have a special 'RX ANT' jack in the back.It's perfect for connecting the radio to an external SDR receiver. You can download some software to link the radio with the SRD so they both follow the same VFO frequency. The 'RX ANT' output is switched through an internal relay to protect the SRD when the radio is transmitting. You can build a similar interposing relay yourself to make other radios work in the same manner, as long as the radio can be linked to the SDR through a USB or a data port. Obviously, older radio may not have this option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top