Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2022 8:31:18 PM EDT
Going to get the kids into some light multi day trips and I am at a loss for my son.  My daughter is 11 and already 5'2" so she has no issue in the women's packs we've looked at but my son is 8 and is 4'5".  Having trouble finding anything in his size that's not crap.  Any experience with kids in this size range and pack selection.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
No one has backpacked with kids?  Did you guys just have them take a school bag?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a small Osprey bag for my son.  I carry the stove, food, tent, etc and let him carry his clothes and sleeping bag.

I don't recall specifically the model but probably something like this...

https://www.rei.com/product/164358/osprey-ace-50-pack-kids

Although I am positive I didn't spend that much money on it.

My daughter has a small camelback, she is 7 but I haven't yet taken her on an overnight trip.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
My daughter was 8 at the time.  It's just one of my old packs, the 20L Osprey that I relegated to motorcycle use, the pack was about 8 years old at the time.  Didn't fit all that great, well enough, but had a pretty good waist band for a 20L-class pack.

2L water, rain shell top and pants, her puffy, and a headlamp.

Looking at this photo, it looks like there is also a 2 pound down sleeping bag in there.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Nevo Rhino pack

Got this off Amazon and was pleasantly surprised. It is one of the few packs that adjust small enough for my youngest who was nine at the time. She packed a light load, but carried her own gear for the most part. Pretty decent suspension. None of the REI or Ospreys were able to fit.
I want to say it could get down to 16” hip to shoulder size. I think everything else was 18”, even the REI kids pack. Not sure but I “think” the hip belt fit as well and she’s about as big around as my thumb.

The fact that it was cheap is a double bonus. Have a great time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all.  That's kind of along the lines I was thinking.  I plan to carry all the "extras (tent, stove, most food, etc).  If he can carry his water, snacks and odds and ends I think that would be a good start.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
A 5.11 MOAB Sling pack might be a good smaller option.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
ULA has a nice kids pack. Deuter has a couple as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top