Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2023 7:54:24 PM EDT
I purchased an old Kubota finish mower that only had a partial PTO shaft. It has the shaft part that is connected to the mower and not the part that connects to the tractor itself. So I ran down to Tractor supply and picked up a new PTO shaft. $350

Well I got it home and discovered the old PTO shaft is square tubing which means the new triangular tube will not work. I need to pay more attention before jumping in the car and driving 60 miles round trip.    

So the next step was to try and remove the old shaft from the gear on the finish mower but after watching a YouTube vid on how to remove the clips and pound out the pin I came to the realization that I would make a mess of it.

So is there any part that would allow these two different types of tubes to mate up. If not, I guess I will haul it to the repair shop to see that they can make of it.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe post a picture of the mower end.
one a rotary mower, isn't too difficult to remove shaft- mine has a shear bolt and a C clip to retain if/when bolt shears.

$350 seems steep if it's not a complete shaft (both ends).
with mower end in hand, should be able to match up at Tractor Supply or Agrisupply
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe post a picture of the mower end.
on a rotary mower, isn't too difficult to remove shaft- mine has a shear bolt and a C clip to retain if/when bolt shears.

$350 seems steep if it's not a complete shaft (both ends).
with mower end in hand, should be able to match up at Tractor Supply or Agrisupply
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The two shaft halves won’t work together because the shaft needs to slide. The square one should be easy to get the other half for.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I'm a bit old, but iirc full and even half shaft pto assemblies run from approx 100 bucks up depending on strengths, lengths etc

And pretty sure you can still get replacement pto id/od triangle or square shafts and tractor/implement couplers if you have to repair or rig a replacement pto shaft assembly up.

Course depends on supply's in your area, may have to order parts in.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And pretty sure you can still get replacement pto id/od triangle or square shafts and tractor/implement couplers if you have to repair or rig a replacement pto shaft assembly up.
View Quote

You can get the raw stock in numerous sizes and shapes...I had a PTO shaft twist last year, bought telescoping stock, cut to length, cut the twisted shaft off, welded new pieces on, done...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top