Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2018 1:43:54 PM EDT
Back in 2016 Major Surplus brought in German surplus NATO jerry cans.  I ended up buying six of them and was very happy with what showed up.  I received 2 Bellino and 4 Valpro, both of which are good cans.  They were definitely used (some still had a splash of diesel in them) with scuffed paint but no dents and the inside coating was perfect.  A quick rinse out and all of them were usable as received.

Major Surplus has them again, maybe.  They don’t say German surplus but I don’t think they did last time either.  They still say grade 1 quality and if this batch is as good as the last one was I think the cans are worth the $29.95 they’re asking for them.  Shipping is going to add to the cost but I priced out 4 shipped to here in PA (from their warehouse in Los Angeles) and it added less than $4.00 per can.  That’s not awful for genuine military NATO cans.

But….

I don’t know if the condition is as good as last time.

Last time they had these there was a free shipping deal that lowered the cost of the delivered can.  Still, current shipping prices don’t seem that bad.

There are shipping restrictions (not allowed to ship to some states) that I don’t remember being there last time, so not everyone is going to get to buy these.

At any rate, if anybody needs cans and feels lucky, these may be worth looking at.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
No link
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It says they won't ship to PA---
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Pardon my ignorance, but can you fit a nozzle to these?

Do these leak at all when turned on their side?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Most likely.

Quoted:
Not unless somethings broken.  I don't think I would store them that way long term.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Too bad shipping on these would be high to reship or you could just have a member order them for you.

ETA- That really is some commie crap you can't even buy the water cans in those locations.  What the heck is up with that?  
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they're true mil-spec Euro cans they should take the vented nozzles.  The black nozzle they have on their site looks like a cheap non-vented nozzle; here's what it should look like: Jerry can spout  Note in the second picture it shows the vent that interfaces with the vent inside the can to allow air in.

As long as the nozzle assembly including the gasket is in good shape they should be fine on their side.  Most folks store them upright or on their back spine (nozzle up) though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
They have water cans too, and the French one may be built better than the Scepter knock off that costs more...
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Too bad shipping on these would be high to reship or you could just have a member order them for you.

ETA- That really is some commie crap you can't even buy the water cans in those locations.  What the heck is up with that?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We currently have a communist for governor. With any luck he can be tossed out on his ear.

I placed an order and they accepted it. Got the tracking # today.

51# for $14.00
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
They say no sales to CA...I live about an hour away. I am tempted to drive up and see what happens if I try to buy a few.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI: If you're a first-time customer MSSWELCOME10 will get 10% off and FREESHIP2018 will get free shipping on orders over $100
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They say no sales to CA...I live about an hour away. I am tempted to drive up and see what happens if I try to buy a few.
View Quote
Quoting myself

No-go for California FTF sales, but I am taking a road trip to Montana in two weeks so I shipped them to my buddy. I will pick them up, fill with non ethanol gas and bring them home. Win/win in my book.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
For military water cans:

https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#14]
My five arrived in PA today.

The codes above would have saved me a couple bucks but I am still happy. 4 Bellinos marked 1994-1996 and one "V" marked 2004. All have some diesel residue in them.

All have very minor rust, a couple have minor dings. I don't know much about them but these seem good to go. I'm going to order gaskets and a spout.

Thanks OP!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The codes above would have saved me a couple bucks but I am still happy. 4 Bellinos marked 1994-1996 and one "V" marked 2004. All have some diesel residue in them.

All have very minor rust, a couple have minor dings. I don't know much about them but these seem good to go. I'm going to order gaskets and a spout.

Thanks OP!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/28281/P_20180618_174506-579830.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/28281/P_20180618_174455-579829.JPG
View Quote
Wow, those look better than I was expecting! Any of them have excess rusting, enough to cause concern?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Nothing close to perforation. Most have some rust on the underside of the spout lip. Also a few small (1/2") spots on seams. Nothing I can't clean up and seal up.

I like them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Eagerly anticipating mine... I fell in love with NATO cans about a year ago after finding 4 Swiss cans on CL for $30... I snatched them up, realized the china spout the guy had sucked so I bought a Swiss spout ($$$$) and love them... I can empty a 5.3 Gallon can into a car in less than a minute per can. While these were more expensive than my killer craigslist deal I decided it was worth it in the end...
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys are lucky. I live about an hour from the store yet I have to drive 19 hours to pick mine up

(well worth the drive to escape California for a week)
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nothing close to perforation. Most have some rust on the underside of the spout lip. Also a few small (1/2") spots on seams. Nothing I can't clean up and seal up.

I like them.
View Quote
What do you have to do to fix and seal them up ? Are they in usable condition?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks OP!
View Quote
I’m glad this worked out, good ones don’t show up very often.  I don’t need any more cans but curiosity got the best of me and I ordered two.  They are supposed to be delivered today.

Edited to add that my two cans showed up, a ’94 and a ’96 Bellino.  Given their age I think the condition of both is excellent.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#21]
My 8 arrived... Most late 90's Bellinos but a few 2000's Valpro's. All in excellent condition except for 1 that have a sizable dent; it looks like it was thrown from a 4-story building onto a rock. Paint is peeled off around the dent and deep gouges in the metal... it is fresh (metal under peeled paint doesn't has a spec of rust on it) but not from shipping (the box was not damaged in that area that I could tell)... I'll deal with it.

Other than that, it looks like the Swiss spout I have will not work with these without some modifications. I didn't actually try it yet but if that's the case I'll be bummed... :(
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#23]
After closer inspection only 3 of the five have rust/damage.

Worst of the rust (prepped with rust converter) -
Attachment Attached File

Dinged handle (someone put a spot weld in there)

Attachment Attached File

Worst of the damage -

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine look good thanks OP
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered 2 this morning all went well till this afternoon when they cancelled it cause it was going to PA.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ordered 2 this morning all went well till this afternoon when they cancelled it cause it was going to PA.
View Quote
Mine have arrived in Montana. I will be up there on Monday and give them a look. I will literally pass by their storefront on my way out of California.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#27]
On my phone so no pictures, but one  is dated 2004 and the other 2002 and are in fantastic condition. No dings or dents and surface rust on one of the seams. Not even enough to worry about. Real happy.

Just got home and took a couple of pictures. What looks like a dent on the left can is just dirt. The close-up shot is the only rust I can find and it is just surface stuff. When I recover from my 20 hour drive I will give it some love.

Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#28]
my order of two came in today. Not really any dings . Minor rust near spout. One bellino 1998 And the other a valpro 2002.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My 8 arrived... Most late 90's Bellinos but a few 2000's Valpro's. All in excellent condition except for 1 that have a sizable dent; it looks like it was thrown from a 4-story building onto a rock. Paint is peeled off around the dent and deep gouges in the metal... it is fresh (metal under peeled paint doesn't has a spec of rust on it) but not from shipping (the box was not damaged in that area that I could tell)... I'll deal with it.

Other than that, it looks like the Swiss spout I have will not work with these without some modifications. I didn't actually try it yet but if that's the case I'll be bummed... :(
View Quote
Did the Swiss spout fit?  If you need something else the pre-ban Wavian is very good.  It comes with a hose barb which adds a lot flexibility.

https://wavianusa.com/new-wavian-flexi-nozzle-black.html

That's just an example, shop around for best price.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#31]
does anybody remember the sale they had at ohio prep supply last year? anybody know what branded those cans were? i ordered two then and i’m trying to figure out what the difference was if any
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
does anybody remember the sale they had at ohio prep supply last year? anybody know what branded those cans were? i ordered two then and i’m trying to figure out what the difference was if any
View Quote
I don't understand what it is you're trying to compare.  Ohio Prep sold mostly Polish cans (Gelg) but that changed over time.  I know there was a lot of talk about it in the Fuel Can Oracle at the top of this section.  If you start at the end and go back a few pages (I just checked and page 25 is from mid 2016) maybe you can find what you're looking for?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Did the Swiss spout fit?  If you need something else the pre-ban Wavian is very good.  It comes with a hose barb which adds a lot flexibility.

https://wavianusa.com/new-wavian-flexi-nozzle-black.html

That's just an example, shop around for best price.
View Quote
Sorry, I should have updated. It does fit. I didn't look like the vent tube was going to clear but it does. I used it to successfully fuel up a vehicle with 3 of the cans as a test.

And FWIW, I highly recommend the Swiss spout... I've never used the others but the Swiss spout, with minor mods to fit the smaller filler necks of modern unleaded gasoline cars, is a wonderful piece of kit. It's stiff enough that the spout will support the weight of a full can resting on the filler neck. That being said, I find it unnecessary to do so because I can empty a full nato can in 30-35 seconds (timed it several times) so it's not that hard to support the weight.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Had some time today and used a stainless brush on the rusty seam of one can. Cleaned it up and found a can of rust-olum in my cabinet that looked like it would match.

Looks pretty good. I just blended in in with the existing finish

Rust

After cleaning and painting

The paint I used

Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Had some time today and used a stainless brush on the rusty seam of one can. Cleaned it up and found a can of rust-olum in my cabinet that looked like it would match.

Looks pretty good. I just blended in in with the existing finish

Rust

https://i.imgur.com/MjRx3lKl.jpg

After cleaning and painting

https://i.imgur.com/NgQuNBql.jpg

The paint I used

https://i.imgur.com/Nc3jA6pl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pP24KFRl.jpg
View Quote
That's a very good color match.  Did you prime it first or just hit with the color?

I like primer
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry, I should have updated. It does fit. I didn't look like the vent tube was going to clear but it does. I used it to successfully fuel up a vehicle with 3 of the cans as a test.

And FWIW, I highly recommend the Swiss spout... I've never used the others but the Swiss spout, with minor mods to fit the smaller filler necks of modern unleaded gasoline cars, is a wonderful piece of kit. It's stiff enough that the spout will support the weight of a full can resting on the filler neck. That being said, I find it unnecessary to do so because I can empty a full nato can in 30-35 seconds (timed it several times) so it's not that hard to support the weight.
View Quote
That's good to know, thanks for the follow up.

The pre-ban Wavian's are pretty good at emptying a can but they really come into their own when you want to go the other way and control what you're pouring.  They come with an adapter that lets you mount a hose to the spout, which lets you control the flow really well.  I have one setup with a reducing coupler to use with the Coleman fuel I keep in a 5L can.  I can fill my stove and lantern directly with no chance of spilling.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's a very good color match.  Did you prime it first or just hit with the color?

I like primer
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL176/1171244/24547779/413324421.jpg
View Quote
It was such a small area I just sprayed the color. These will not be high use cans - I have a couple of Wavian cans I bought new that I keep full.

Too be real honest I bought these based upon the fact I could not get them in CA and I had a way around that restriction.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#38]
and I wish we had the gear shift animation.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Finally got around to ordering, the examples on here convinced me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Why is this banned in Dallas?!??
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why is this banned in Dallas?!??
View Quote
DemoCRaphics
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks OP, my order came last night. Mid 90s Bellinos, some light rust on the seams and a bit around the neck.

I haven't inspected inside, but it seems a little dusty in there. Hopefully a quick rinse will do the job.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks OP, my order came last night. Mid 90s Bellinos, some light rust on the seams and a bit around the neck.

I haven't inspected inside, but it seems a little dusty in there. Hopefully a quick rinse will do the job.
View Quote
With everything I've seen or heard so far I'd guess perfect on the inside.  I'm surprised about the dust, most have a little bit of diesel still sloshing around.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

With everything I've seen or heard so far I'd guess perfect on the inside.  I'm surprised about the dust, most have a little bit of diesel still sloshing around.
View Quote
Yeah, that's what I was expecting too. I plan on running the rinse fuel through lawn equipment, so I'm not too concerned about a little dust.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I ordered 3 and they arrived a few days ago. I got 1-late 90s Bellino and 2-early 2000 Valpro. Both in excellent condition. Maybe a spot or two of rust, and some stickers pasted on the outside, but no dents. Insides were in great condition and like other, a little diesel sloshing around in them. Seals were used, but in good condition. For $30, it was a great deal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#46]
I just got a few of these. They just came in yesterday and appeared to be new. One of my subordinates was in the usmc and has working experience with the US polymer MFC cans. So I am gonna have him look em over to tell me if he feels they look to be of the same quality.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nato-military-surplus-jerry-can-20-liter-5-gallons-used?a=2146143
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just got a few of these. They just came in yesterday and appeared to be new. One of my subordinates was in the usmc and has working experience with the US polymer MFC cans. So I am gonna have him look em over to tell me if he feels they look to be of the same quality.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nato-military-surplus-jerry-can-20-liter-5-gallons-used?a=2146143
View Quote
Those cans are for water not fuel, right?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#48]
If you read the sportmans guide description they say they are for fuel storage only. I think it's that sorta thing that they arent carb compliant so they are calling them a water can, but tell you it's only for fuel.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you read the sportmans guide description they say they are for fuel storage only. I think it's that sorta thing that they arent carb compliant so they are calling them a water can, but tell you it's only for fuel.
View Quote
Thanks, that's what I get for not reading the whole thing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Those cans are for water not fuel, right?
View Quote
If the picture is accurate, I would think so. Seeing as they are marked EAU.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top