Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 13 of 55)
Page / 55
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#1]
22 contacts before my laptop just up and shutoff, and my pen had to take over. I'm happy with the results with the noise level on 40 and the contest going on. I live close enough that I should be able to hit it up once a week and get my kilo pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#2]
ah, good deal.  I snoozed/losed.

I was up too late last night DXing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My son woke up earlier than expected so I wasn't able to get you. Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard your hunters but that was it. Looks like for ground wave you were just too far away, and also would have been perfectly in the null of my dipole.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
I heard your hunters but that was it. Looks like for ground wave you were just too far away, and also would have been perfectly in the null of my dipole.
View Quote

I'll be doing a reboot tomorrow weather permitting, Same time/place.
I'll be trying to use my cellphone as a logging computer this time. We will see how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#6]
Did 3 quick activations yesterday.

also picked up a Colt Navy

It was a good day

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been listening to this guy in Idaho for like 45 minutes on 17m and I don't feel like fighting the pileup
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#8]
51 Navy is my favorite. Uses less lead also.  It’s the QRP of BP revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By QRPer:
51 Navy is my favorite. Uses less lead also.  It’s the QRP of BP revolvers.
View Quote

“nineteenth century nine millimeter “
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

“nineteenth century nine millimeter “
View Quote

Forgot to ask...didn’t I see you posting on QRZ the other day?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Heading out

Road trip the the lake

FT-891
Bioenno
WOLF RIVER COIL

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 4:44:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#12]
wolf river works well

got Germany, Slovac, a bunch of stateside

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Very nice  Saw you spotted on 40m but no copy from our park.

Girlfriend and I headed up to a new to us park not far from here this afternoon and each did a quick activation.   She worked Azores for the only DX of the day.

We activated another local park yesterday too.

Both days she used the Chameleon MPAS Lite we just got, with good results.  It is a very quick and easy  antenna to deploy.  The coax and radial wire stow inside the little radio backpack and the ground stake and extendable whip fit nicely into the molle webbing on the sides of the pack.

I was able to get 13 CW contacts in 20 minutes with the little AX1 antenna yesterday.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:

Very nice  Saw you spotted on 40m but no copy from our park.

Girlfriend and I headed up to a new to us park not far from here this afternoon and each did a quick activation.   She worked Azores for the only DX of the day.

We activated another local park yesterday too.

Both days she used the Chameleon MPAS Lite we just got, with good results.  It is a very quick and easy  antenna to deploy.  The coax and radial wire stow inside the little radio backpack and the ground stake and extendable whip fit nicely into the molle webbing on the sides of the pack.

I was able to get 13 CW contacts in 20 minutes with the little AX1 antenna yesterday.  
View Quote

I got about 10 or 12 logged on 40m and retuned for 15m

Wife got overheated in the sun, had trouble seeing the tablet, 891 fan was running too.

Next time,  I'll try to find some shade.

PM or email me your new call,  and I'll watch for yee on the spotter

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 7:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#15]
I don't know the calls of most POTA folks here, some but not all, and I normally work CW or digital.  I did work KD5TXX on 04/01 from K-9408.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Did POTA remove that award for activating multiple parks on the same day?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
Did POTA remove that award for activating multiple parks on the same day?
View Quote

On the AWARDS page, just below your list of awards is a line that reads "Want to apply for a RaDAR award? While we continue to built out functionality on this site, please head over to https://stats.parksontheair.com/award/radarapplication.php to fill out a RaDAR award application."  I think that's what you want.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SACraig:
I don't know the calls of most POTA folks here, some but not all, and I normally work CW or digital.  I did work KD5TXX on 04/01 from K-9408.
View Quote
IM sent
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
IM sent
View Quote

And replied to
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Not that I would have any inside info...but he may remember working a TN station on 40m that day.  Conditions sucked.  Only 11 in the look and most were very hard to pick out.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:18:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Not that I would have any inside info...but he may remember working a TN station on 40m that day.  Conditions sucked.  Only 11 in the look and most were very hard to pick out.  
View Quote

I worked three TN stations on 3/17 but only one on 40 meters, two of them here in the Nashville area.  One at K-3922 (40 meters), one at K-2956 (20 meters), and one at K-2955 (20 meters).
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

You've got mine from when you told me about  Reelfoot Lake

I do SSB voice when I activate, and SSB or CW when I'm at home hunting ( POTA is great for CW practice)

we've been activating almost every weekend

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#23]

You've got mine from when you told me about  Reelfoot Lake

I do SSB voice when I activate, and SSB or CW when I'm at home hunting ( POTA is great for CW practice)

we've been activating almost every weekend

View Quote

I do.  Thanks for sending it to me.  I haven't heard you but, as I mentioned, I don't do much SSB.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#24]

On the AWARDS page, just below your list of awards is a line that reads "Want to apply for a RaDAR award? While we continue to built out functionality on this site, please head over to https://stats.parksontheair.com/award/radarapplication.php to fill out a RaDAR award application."  I think that's what you want.
View Quote

Thanks! A bit hard to find. I got some RaDAR uploaded.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Good, glad it's what you were looking for.  Yes, they do have it well-hidden.  I wasn't sure I could find it, I just remembered seeing it and hit the pages I usually go to until I found it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Yeah, it's not easy to find. Took me forever and a question on the Facebook group.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:02:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#27]
another road trip

another good day and good activation

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Wonder if you were the AK station my GF was trying to get through to for a while this afternoon.

We hit up a couple state parks today and both activated them.  She got a new G90 and tried it out. I am pretty impressed with that little rig. The MPAS Lite has also been working well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I haven't been out for a full on activation in a while. I've done one from my truck in the last 4-5 months.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Wonder if you were the AK station my GF was trying to get through to for a while this afternoon.

We hit up a couple state parks today and both activated them.  She got a new G90 and tried it out. I am pretty impressed with that little rig. The MPAS Lite has also been working well.
View Quote

Good chance, I didn't hear anyone else locally today and there's only a handful up here doing POTA. I was only on for half an hour today, the Georgia QSO party was clogging up the band pretty good. I'll give it another go tomorrow. If you guys need Alaska for anything shoot me your number and we can coordinate.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Ahh, so you guys are the ones I saw with the Arfham patch on the backpack.  I typically activate alone, so photos don't happen, its nice to see a team like yours out there enjoying the hobby and getting good photos.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Good chance, I didn't hear anyone else locally today and there's only a handful up here doing POTA. I was only on for half an hour today, the Georgia QSO party was clogging up the band pretty good. I'll give it another go tomorrow. If you guys need Alaska for anything shoot me your number and we can coordinate.
View Quote

Thanks, sounds good!  Good luck today, I am at work but I’m sure she will be hunting from home.  

Originally Posted By Jester_MP:

Ahh, so you guys are the ones I saw with the Arfham patch on the backpack.  I typically activate alone, so photos don't happen, its nice to see a team like yours out there enjoying the hobby and getting good photos.
View Quote

We’ve been having fun with it.  I never had many pictures either til she started coming along.  She got her general in February and is now an unstoppable POTA force
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Thanks, sounds good!  Good luck today, I am at work but I’m sure she will be hunting from home.  

We’ve been having fun with it.  I never had many pictures either til she started coming along.  She got her general in February and is now an unstoppable POTA force
View Quote

I love my G90. I don't think there is a radio out there that is even close, dollar for dollar.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Started out yesterday at QRPp on 40m SSB. Before long, I could tell sharks were circling the water by all the tuning cycles near and on my frequency. I felt it necessary to bring more ammunition (20w) at that point, which was good enough to keep the usurpers at bay for a long while.

Used a tent for the first time during an activation to protect the gear from the wet and wind. Weather conditions in the morning were breezy and bit chilly in northern GA with a threat of a shower. Conditions turned pleasant at some point in the afternoon, eliminating any concern for exposure to the elements, but the comfort afforded by walls and a ceiling was nice change of pace.

Deployed a dipole nice and high too for this outing, which is also a first. Too bad that band conditions weren't better. My contact log would have been more full, for sure.

All in all had a GREAT time in the fresh air. The antenna and shelter elements represent ideas that were finally brought to bare for T&E. I'm still very new to POTA and HF portable in general, so every outing is a learning opportunity. Already looking forward to the next chance to do it all over again.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Moga:
Started out yesterday at QRPp on 40m SSB. Before long, I could tell sharks were circling the water by all the tuning cycles near and on my frequency. I felt it necessary to bring more ammunition (20w) at that point, which was good enough to keep the usurpers at bay for a long while.

Used a tent for the first time during an activation to protect the gear from the wet and wind. Weather conditions in the morning were breezy and bit chilly in northern GA with a threat of a shower. Conditions turned pleasant at some point in the afternoon, eliminating any concern for exposure to the elements, but the comfort afforded by walls and a ceiling was nice change of pace.

Deployed a dipole nice and high too for this outing, which is also a first. Too bad that band conditions weren't better. My contact log would have been more full, for sure.

All in all had a GREAT time in the fresh air. The antenna and shelter elements represent ideas that were finally brought to bare for T&E. I'm still very new to POTA and HF portable in general, so every outing is a learning opportunity. Already looking forward to the next chance to do it all over again.

https://i.imgur.com/e0c0soah.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/Mc5Zs3xh.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/tYhQmMuh.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/BaFZiCUh.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/95Z0RVrh.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/kqrGlQXh.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/8crADyKh.jpg?1

View Quote

nice

bands were wonky yesterday

Damn,  I miss those tall southern pines
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow! Nice set up! How do you like the X6100?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice! You got that antenna way up there!
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

I love my G90. I don't think there is a radio out there that is even close, dollar for dollar.
View Quote

Good to hear!  I haven’t had time to use it much, but it seems to be a fun little radio for sure.  

She wanted her own radio that was easy to hike with and that she could use the Chameleon vertical with without packing an external tuner.  The G90 fit the bill and at a great price.  She has summers off…I think she’s planning on doing a lot of POTA without me
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Wow! Nice set up! How do you like the X6100?
View Quote

I enjoy using the tcvr much more than I expected. Although there's an recent issue with the VOL/RFG/SQL multi-function knob that I hope is software related. Sometimes it responds and other time it doesn't to input.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Bands aren’t great, but I’ll be on 20m again at 0000Z for about 30 minutes

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Hey, GF and I both got you a few minutes apart.

She worked you from home, the KF0*** from MN, I was on my way home from work, N*** mobile.

Thanks for the activation and the QSO’s, we both needed AK for POTA.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Went camping this weekend.  Wind was rough and when it started snowing I moved the rig to the hammock and chased.Attachment Attached File

Was using and older 9v. In the pic it was at 8v when I shut it off I was at 7.4v.  I’m betting I was MAYBE 2W.  Still made some good contacts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Hey, GF and I both got you a few minutes apart.

She worked you from home, the KF0*** from MN, I was on my way home from work, N*** mobile.

Thanks for the activation and the QSO’s, we both needed AK for POTA.
View Quote

I just did my logging and I try to check out people’s pages when I have time. Noticed your ARF swag on there and was gonna say hi. I’m glad we could connect!
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#45]
got some PORTABLE ZERO brush guards and a cheap mic cord extension from ebay

now i can remove the mic without unsnapping the control head

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Went camping this weekend.  Wind was rough and when it started snowing I moved the rig to the hammock and chased.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49697/04ADACA8-A034-4983-B17E-23D701BE7E8E_jpe-2345125.JPG

Was using and older 9v. In the pic it was at 8v when I shut it off I was at 7.4v.  I'm betting I was MAYBE 2W.  Still made some good contacts.
View Quote

Hammock station... very cool. I like your style
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#47]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/3334365C-6931-4B03-BFDB-93BC5EBFF719_jpe-2345271.JPG
View Quote

I need that so badly! Tks for the mention.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#48]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/3334365C-6931-4B03-BFDB-93BC5EBFF719_jpe-2345271.JPG
View Quote

Excellent!
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Anybody else ever encounter cock blockers while doing a POTA activation? I’ve had it happen more than a few times. Today some fellow would key up and cough, hum, whistle blow into the mic and of course incessant tuning. Super annoying when you’re out portable, especially when you don’t have signal to respot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Anybody else ever encounter cock blockers while doing a POTA activation? I’ve had it happen more than a few times. Today some fellow would key up and cough, hum, whistle blow into the mic and of course incessant tuning. Super annoying when you’re out portable, especially when you don’t have signal to respot.
View Quote

I often ask QRP, Park to park, and mobiles what they are running.

I was trying to converse with a mobile about his setup when a VE station kept calling over the top of him.

overandoverandoverandoverandover

I told the VE I would not answer nor log him, and recommended he go look up the DX code of conduct

Pretty sure he was the one who suddenly started QRM'ing me, but he was weak, and I kept working other stations.

FUCK EM
Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 13 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top