BCM
User Panel

POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 12 of 55)
Page / 55
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
I will be doing POTA down and up the Keys M-F on 20M I'm going to try to do at least one activation a day. I brought 100w and a vertical with me, so I should get out. Kinda hoping I pick up an Alaska station backwards.
View Quote
There's an Alaskan guy that hunts a lot. I've had him several times. Can't remember the call off hand. But you should get him I imagine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I got PR today, KP4RK @ K7560..  wish it could double as a wildcard for 50 states
View Quote

I got them yesterday on 18.155. Answered their "CQ Parks on the air" call. When I asked which park they were activating, they didn't seem to understand what I meant, so I didn't question further. Usually, POTA activations tell you it is park k-'numbers'. Thought it was weird.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I got them yesterday on 18.155. Answered their "CQ Parks on the air" call. When I asked which park they were activating, they didn't seem to understand what I meant, so I didn't question further. Usually, POTA activations tell you it is park k-'numbers'. Thought it was weird.
View Quote
That is strange. Unless they don't speak much English?
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]

they do, but probably ESL (with an accent)

I had no problem with my QSO, Op was a YL, working a pileup with little problem
View Quote
Yeah that's been my experience with PR stations also. But I have met some PR folks in person who don't speak English very well. I've had to break out my Spanglish to get it done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
That is strange. Unless they don't speak much English?
View Quote

That's kind of what I figured and part of why I didn't press the issue. I don't participate in POTA, but I always note the park number when I record a POTA QSO in case it becomes something I have more interest in down the road.

Given that PR is a US possession, I generally expect them to handle English well, but whatever.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:12:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:41:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#8]

That's kind of what I figured and part of why I didn't press the issue. I don't participate in POTA, but I always note the park number when I record a POTA QSO in case it becomes something I have more interest in down the road.

Given that PR is a US possession, I generally expect them to handle English well, but whatever.
View Quote
Generally you're right, but not always.

If you just hunt you don't need much by the way. The activator does all the logging. Only way you'll need to register is if you want your awards
or something.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]

technically, you don't need to do much to "hunt" POTA, the station doing the Activation does all the work..

they log the QSO's and submit them, you don't have to do anything.  
if you want the 'awards' all you have to do is make a free account, then you can view your awards progress (all done by the POTA server)

Even if you are not registered on POTA, you still help by getting into an activators log, as they need at least 10 QSO's for a valid Activation
View Quote

Generally you're right, but not always.

If you just hunt you don't need much by the way. The activator does all the logging. Only way you'll need to register is if you want your awards
or something.
View Quote

I am registered on the POTA site. I don't anticipate earning any rewards at this point. One POTA QSO I had said there was no cell service where they were and asked me if I would mind putting a spot for them up on the POTA site. I said "sure" and had to register in order to do that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#10]

I am registered on the POTA site. I don't anticipate earning any rewards at this point. One POTA QSO I had said there was no cell service where they were and asked me if I would mind putting a spot for them up on the POTA site. I said "sure" and had to register in order to do that.
View Quote
The awards are automatic so depending on when or how many hunter contacts you've got, you probably already have some.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:26:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#11]
The awards are automatic so depending on when or how many hunter contacts you've got, you probably already have some.
View Quote

I'll have to go check sometime.

ETA: 4 awards so far!
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:18:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#12]
Had a couple of good activations so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I was talking to a guy in PR CW and he asked if I spoke Spanish.  Dude..I am happy that I can squeak by in English in CW...let's just stay in my happy place..
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Activated a park in IN today after work and was privileged to work at least one ARFCOMER.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KD5TXX:
Activated a park in IN today after work and was privileged to work at least one ARFCOMER.  

View Quote

Glad to catch you, thanks for the park! FB signal here.  Sounded like a nice little pileup on you after we worked.

I’m home with covid for a few days so I’ve had plenty of radio time.

Worked you with my new little paddle, going to give this a try for mobile and portable.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I like it.  I was using my American Morse key.  The set screws that make the contacts are stainless steel or something and I have all kinds of problems with them.  I get double dits sometimes and other times I get no  dits.  I need to look at replacing them.  Oth than that it's a good key for my truck.  Small and won't melt in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been looking around for a smaller paddle to use for POTA. I use a cheap CW Morse swiper right now. I kinda like the single swiper and it's what I'm use to. CW Morse makes one but do yall more experienced code guys have any recommendations? Not to looking to break the bank just yet on a paddle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:

Glad to catch you, thanks for the park! FB signal here.  Sounded like a nice little pileup on you after we worked.

I’m home with covid for a few days so I’ve had plenty of radio time.

Worked you with my new little paddle, going to give this a try for mobile and portable.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359275/203110C9-3A7F-46D3-A641-E1FEB52BE7A0_jpe-2255598.JPG
View Quote

That’s a cool looking paddle. Maybe I’ll learn CW one day so I can be able to use something like that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Went out and did an activation today for the first time in a long time. 122 in a couple hours. Even an ARFCOMMER in there.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 6:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#21]
Originally Posted By KD5TXX:

View Quote

Actually 2, I suppose, but one of them wasn't today ;)  10/20/21 (K-1262) and again on 11/07/2021 (K-4199).
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Went out and did an activation today for the first time in a long time. 122 in a couple hours. Even an ARFCOMMER in there.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73718/022422_JPG-2291695.JPG
View Quote

Nice work, glad to catch you! You came up to a solid 59 a minute or two after our QSO before I spin the VFO.  Nice to have the higher bands waking up
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:

Nice work, glad to catch you! You came up to a solid 59 a minute or two after our QSO before I spin the VFO.  Nice to have the higher bands waking up
View Quote
15m did alright for me. I want to say I got 30 or so on there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#25]
Road trip to see eagles

quick activation on 18mhz SSB

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#27]
My stuff lines up.

If it's as a hunter, then most likely it's because of activators not sending their logs in or the coordinator taking a while. 5 land guy does in batches every week or so. So my 24th log probably won't show up till the end of the week.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#28]
The 5 land guy usually takes a day or two for me.  Used to be longer but he’s pretty fast now.  Maybe cause my logs are 20-30 QSOs only.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By QRPer:
The 5 land guy usually takes a day or two for me.  Used to be longer but he's pretty fast now.  Maybe cause my logs are 20-30 QSOs only.
View Quote
Maybe my timing is bad. I sent in my log from the 24th. Nothing showing yet. He usually updates when he finishes and through what date on the Facebook group.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#30]
poll (~)

notice that the number of your hunter qso's don't jive with what the POTA website is showing?

for me, there is about a 3:1 ratio for actual QSO's with activators to those logged on the site.

whats going on?

I upload activator logs same day, and it may take my pota guy a day or two, but he always get it posted.

I ask a point of interest, not as a karen
View Quote
I've been active in POTA for several years now, and I've always felt there was a measurable number of people going out and doing activations, and then choosing to sit on their logs for very long periods of time before they submit them, or just never submitting their logs at all.  It is what it is.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
I've been active in POTA for several years now, and I've always felt there was a measurable number of people going out and doing activations, and then choosing to sit on their logs for very long periods of time before they submit them, or just never submitting their logs at all.  It is what it is.
View Quote
I know of an FT8 guy who does that. I have tons of contacts with him throughout January and February. None logged as of yet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#32]
poll (~)

notice that the number of your hunter qso's don't jive with what the POTA website is showing?

for me, there is about a 3:1 ratio for actual QSO's with activators to those logged on the site.

whats going on?

I upload activator logs same day, and it may take my pota guy a day or two, but he always get it posted.

I ask a point of interest, not as a karen
View Quote

I have a rather comprehensive spreadsheet I keep track of all my POTA contacts in.  Every day or so I check it against the POTA site and make everything in the spreadsheet agree with the web site.

I mark them "Dead" if I haven't gotten a confirmation within a month.  So far I have 41 contacts out of 1,260 that were never logged for whatever reason and another 41 logs that haven't been turned in or marked as "Dead" yet, most are under 2 weeks old so I'll give them a bit longer. Maybe the "Dead" contacts never got logged, maybe they wrote my callsign down wrong, maybe the regional guy lost them, I don't know.  All I know is they never got confirmed.  I have recently gotten some quite old confirmations.   Last week I saw three come in that took me a while to find because they were pushing a year old.

It's just like QSL responses, some people are good about it and some are lousy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:43:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#33]
I've only been doing POTA since Memorial day.

This is a good indicator of how popular it is

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I was just talking about the popularity with a guy who I introduced to POTA when he first started getting licensed. He went nuts and has several kilos and activates several times a week. Retired and grown kids makes it easier on him to do that.

Anyway, I started doing POTA almost as fast as I got General. I was told about it and it seemed fun. So it was mid to late 2020. It was a struggle sometimes to even make 10. Got a lot of folks who, nicely, asked what I was doing so on.

Now? Pile up city. The one I did the other day was a 30-45 mins of solid pile up until it finally started emptying out.

Some people get mad when I say this, but I truly believe POTA has a hand in resuscitating amateur radio. It's kept people interested who otherwise would've walked due to boredom.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#35]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73718/022422_JPG-2291695.JPG
View Quote

I see my callsign in there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Derek45:
I've only been doing POTA since Memorial day.

This is a good indicator of how popular it is

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/675E9076-2F50-41CF-A743-F7BEC02C0343_jpe-2297330.JPG
View Quote

Well done.....I still need MS and DC.

With just a 20/40 fan dipole about 15' up, some of the East Coast stations are a challenge.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#37]
Originally Posted By Bilymac:

I see my callsign in there.
View Quote
Have to make that two of y'all then.

ETA: Have to keep an eye out for you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I was just talking about the popularity with a guy who I introduced to POTA when he first started getting licensed. He went nuts and has several kilos and activates several times a week. Retired and grown kids makes it easier on him to do that.

Anyway, I started doing POTA almost as fast as I got General. I was told about it and it seemed fun. So it was mid to late 2020. It was a struggle sometimes to even make 10. Got a lot of folks who, nicely, asked what I was doing so on.

Now? Pile up city. The one I did the other day was a 30-45 mins of solid pile up until it finally started emptying out.

Some people get mad when I say this, but I truly believe POTA has a hand in resuscitating amateur radio. It's kept people interested who otherwise would've walked due to boredom.
View Quote

I think you are right.

My interest varies from week to week.  
local nets
casual DX
POTA has been more on my radio menu lately.  Just hunting for now.  I am up to platinum or diamond certificate I think.

This summer, I will flip it and do the activation side.   I would like to do so SOTA too, if my knee holds up.  Gearing my POTA

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#40]

good work

I think I'm 12 out from completion.  From here in FL, HI and AK will be the hardest..
View Quote

DC is a wildcard since it really isn't a state.  I assume that means it can take the place of any one state which will help.

I've worked them all but I still have Hawaii unconfirmed.  Wish he would post his log ;)
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

DC is a wildcard since it really isn't a state.  I assume that means it can take the place of any one state which will help.

I've worked them all but I still have Hawaii unconfirmed.  Wish he would post his log ;)
View Quote
Correct. I've got WAS but only with DC. Haven't gotten Hawaii yet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Correct. I've got WAS but only with DC. Haven't gotten Hawaii yet.
View Quote

That's what I thought but wasn't 100% sure of their definition of "Wild Card".

Unofficially I've worked all 51 however the logs for DC and Hawaii haven't shown up so officially I still only have 49.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Girlfriend and I hit up a park last weekend and she did her third POTA activation since getting her general a couple weeks ago.  Found a good spot in the sun and out of the wind.  She ended up with 101 QSO’s in less than an hour, all on 20m running 70w to an endfed I made last summer.  She was able to get Belgium for her first SSB DX. I am now the logging b*tch and hot chocolate maker.  We normally hike every weekend but had noticed a sledding hill at this park the weekend before, so we stopped at the hardware store on the way and grabbed a sled

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm pretty sure I heard her on, I didn't jot down the callsign, but she was working quite a pileup and I didn't even try to get through.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Jester_MP:
I'm pretty sure I heard her on, I didn't jot down the callsign, but she was working quite a pileup and I didn't even try to get through.
View Quote

Yea, good chance that was her.  She had a steady stream of callers and at times it was pretty crazy!
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#46]
If all goes well I'll be at k-8848 state game lands in pulaski pa tomorrow morning setting up around 8am est. Probably on 40 most of the time I'm there, 7.290+ ssb and maybe a little ft8/4
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Jester_MP:
If all goes well I'll be at k-8848 state game lands in pulaski pa tomorrow morning setting up around 8am est. Probably on 40 most of the time I'm there, 7.290+ ssb and maybe a little ft8/4
View Quote
Nice, I tried to do that one last month but didn't like the access with all the heavy snow still on the ground (both parcels).  If I'm up early enough I'll give a listen.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I should be up drinking my coffee. I'll try to get you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Nice, I tried to do that one last month but didn't like the access with all the heavy snow still on the ground (both parcels).  If I'm up early enough I'll give a listen.
View Quote

Its literally 10 min from my house, as is one other game lands. I'll probably be a frequent flier there while the weather is nice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#50]
jester, I am looking for your activation before jumping to DX.

Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 12 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top