Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 1:24:44 PM EDT
I previously had my water storage (55 gallon barrels) in my garage. New house and not the same storage so I need to find another place.

If I were to store my water outside, what would be some good advice for doing so?

Treatment? Time between replacement?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Tarp it to keep light out.  It will protect your containers and the water inside.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 55 gallon plastic buckets behind my shed. They are shaded most of the summer and it doesn't really get cold enough to freeze them here. They are also set up to plug into rain collection off the shed roof.

I filled them with the hose and added some bleach. I plan on repeating the process in the rainy spring. Realistically we get enough rain here that I'll be able to collect based on needs but coming from Texas I know that's not always true.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:48:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I've stored water outside and changed it every year. I'd also add a teaspoon (5ml) of unscented bleach.
As long as you don't have bacterial growth the water should stay good.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of Rubbermaid trash cans.  These have the advantage of looking '"at home" in the yard and have good, tight fitting lids.  Water stays clean and clear. You can add bleach as you wish.  Downside is they are not going to be as durable as the blue barrel.

I also use a plastic barrel to catch rainwater.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
We use ICB totes, painted black, then white over that.

Fed by way of a trash filter from the roof of the shop.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Mines a 100 gallon iirc or maybe 80...anywho.
It's under my house...subject to elements etc.
I check it the other day while repairing a bust water heater line,tstat and blown element...in 3s I guess. Lol
Anyway. It's been maybe 3 years or more.down there.
Unscrew the top lid.
Smells like chlorinates and is clear. No growth etc.
Keep it outta the sun and you should be fine.

I need to check my 15 gallon barrels as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
We have 2 Norwesco 500 Gallon tanks hooked up to our Rain Catchment System.  They serve mainly as a back up but do double duty watering raised bed gardens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top