Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2020 9:10:07 PM EDT
I am looking at buying another rifle with my fantasy winnings and wanted some input on rifles' actions. I have always been a Rem 700 fan, but I am open to anything. A friend loves his Browning X Bolt. Those two models would be at the top of my budget. I also looked at the Savage 110 and Sauer 100 Classic. I saw both the Remington and Savage models in store. I like both rifles, and don't really have a favorite. I am still up in the air about caliber, but it will be a long action caliber.

Thanks, guys in advance for any and all input.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Tikka T3x and Winchester M70
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tikka T3x and Winchester M70
View Quote
Those Winchester 70s in what they are calling Super Grade sure are pretty. It looks like the 243 Win my grandfather had. I can recall the model, I was too young. But the wood was beautiful and glossy, the whole thing shine. I wonder if they are still worth that sort of price tag.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Husqvarna Crown Grade in 270 Win 1955 vintage. It is essentially a small ring Mauser built on an in house made action. Slick as snot, controlled round feed, and accurate as hell.
My second choice would be a Win Model 70 in a Featherweight stock, as long as it too was controlled round feed.

Next would be a Tikka or Browning XBolt.

That being said, since I'm not likely to facing down charging Rhinos or Lions, controlled round feed is not an ABSOLUTE requirement, just my personal preference as I have used them my entire life.

Everything else, while perfectly suitable, just doesn't trip my trigger.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to hear someone who owns a Sauer. I can't remember where I heard about them, at first I just figured we were talking about a Sig Sauer rifle. German made. Online reviews and vids are all over the place when it comes to the quality of the Model 100. Inventory is hard to find too in the states. They have some great chamberings for their rifles.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a fan of factory R700s.  Actions or triggers....

I aquired an oldish M70LA and really like it.

I have owned and shot a Browning A-Bolt synthectic Stalker for over 20 years, and really like it as well.

Savage is pretty decent from the factory as well.

I have no experience whatsoever with Sauer????

Now if you don't have much of a limit on budget, there are WAY nicer actions available, as I am sure you know.  Crazy what a copetent gunsmith/machinist/company can do as compared to factory offerings of mass produced stuff.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I aquired an oldish M70LA and really like it.

I have owned and shot a Browning A-Bolt synthectic Stalker for over 20 years, and really like it as well.

Savage is pretty decent from the factory as well.

I have no experience whatsoever with Sauer????

Now if you don't have much of a limit on budget, there are WAY nicer actions available, as I am sure you know.  Crazy what a copetent gunsmith/machinist/company can do as compared to factory offerings of mass produced stuff.
View Quote
Thanks for your input. My budget is about $1000, so I'd say no more than $1200 listed MSRP.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out a Tikka T3x - well within your budget, excellent smooth action, comes with an adjustable trigger that has a crisp break. Light weight and offers several common long action calibers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Recently picked up a Ruger M77 MKII in .300 win mag. Controlled round feed, Mauser style action, and you can drop a round on the feed tray and close the bolt with out fear of damaging the claw extractor
Really Really like it and i'm looking for another in 30-06

Now with that being said I do have most of the other actions, all have there "+" "-".

I know Tika is gaining popularity
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Recently picked up a Ruger M77 MKII in .300 win mag. Controlled round feed, Mauser style action, and you can drop a round on the feed tray and close the bolt with out fear of damaging the claw extractor

Now with that being said I do have most of the other actions, all have there "+" "-".

View Quote
I don't think they are making the mark ii anymore, are they? I would get one in a heartbeat if I could. I'm also not huge on buying used from someone I don't know personally. People do too much stupid crap. Last thing I want is to slam a bolt forward on a used gun and it go off.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to be a big fan of Remington right up until they were bought out by Freedom Group.  Since then their quality has taken a huge hit.  The last two rifles I bought from them went back in for repair.  I have all but given up on Remington unless they are older models.

I recently bought a Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Win. and couldn't be happier with it.

I have several other brands as well.  I have a Tikka T3 in 7mag.

I have Two Ruger M77 Hawkeye rifles, one is a 243 Win and the other is a 375 Ruger.

I have several Older Remington Model 700s ranging from 25-06 to 300WM.

I own one Savage but it's an older bolt action model 340 in 30-30.

I used to own a Browning A Bolt Hunter in 7mag back in the late 80s.  It was a very nice rifle and I killed an Elk and a few deer with it.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Sauer 100 but I have a friend who shoots a model 202.  I really like that rifle and would love to own one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]
New Haven M70s are my favorite, hands down.
Ruger are second.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Sako TRG for me, but the Tikka is like a poor mans Sako.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to be a big 700 fan, had about 8 at one time, most of them used to build semi customs. Had a few custom actions and even a AIAX also.

Now I only buy tikka’s.

Better than a 700 and holds great tolerances, barrels makers have figured it out and offer shouldered prefits now which says a lot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't think they are making the mark ii anymore, are they? I would get one in a heartbeat if I could. I'm also not huge on buying used from someone I don't know personally. People do too much stupid crap. Last thing I want is to slam a bolt forward on a used gun and it go off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can find older but still pretty nice CFR Ruger 77s for sale on GunJoker, at gun shows, and elsewhere. I'd look for one of those if I couldn't find a good-condition CFR model 70.

Most of the M77s I've personally seen collecting dust on the 'used' racks were actually in reasonably good shape. Only a few looked to have been 'hunted hard,' with scars and dings on the metal and visible stock wear. Outside of deer season, most hunting rifles fast become Safe Queens anyway, not 'truck guns.'

You might also keep an eye out for a mildly-used CZ 550 rifle. Those are nothing but an updated Czech BRNO 600 action (or 602 action if it's a magnum), built in the classic tradition of a Mauser-style CFR bolt-gun. Unfortunately CZ has now discontinued the 550s in favor of a PF variant, but 550s are still floating around for sale on the various gun-sites as well as popping at gun-shows.  I saw two for sale at the last Fun Show here in December.

The real question is whether you can find any of these rifles in the caliber you want. You specified LA and as a famous rifle dude once said, 'the 30-06 is never a mistake.'

Years back, I stumbled on to a NIB M77 Express rifle in 30-06 about 6-months before Ruger discontinued these high-end, non-magnum Express rifles (they were also offered in .270 Win).  It's been a tack driver since Day 1.

Regardless, it goes without saying that any 'pre-owned' rifle you do buy should first be examined by your gunsmith before firing it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Years back, I stumbled on to a NIB M77 Express rifle in 30-06 about 6-months before Ruger discontinued these high-end, non-magnum Express rifles (they were also offered in .270 Win).  It's been a tack driver since Day 1.
View Quote
I have one in 300WM.

The Ruger Expresses, along with their big brothers, the Safari Magnums, are probably the most stunning, 'affordable', off the shelf, factory rifle ever cataloged by an American gunmaker.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:26:41 AM EDT
[#16]
A Sako AV series rifle is just so smooth.  it is without a doubt the best rifle I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Tikka makes a very fine rifle for the money.  Weatherby also makes a great rifle, they have many standard caliber offerings.  If it was between Savage and Remington because that’s all you can get local I would get the Savage.  Buy a quality scope too for the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#18]
This question is like the Ford versus Chevy questions. I really don’t think there are many correct answers as most modern rifles have pretty smooth actions. Obviously, you’re gonna have to pay a little bit more to get one of the better ones but there are a lot of good actions out there. You also may consider Rifles from the 80s and 90s. As some people say the quality was higher, I’m thinking of you Remington
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This question is like the Ford versus Chevy questions. I really don’t think there are many correct answers as most modern rifles have pretty smooth actions. Obviously, you’re gonna have to pay a little bit more to get one of the better ones but there are a lot of good actions out there. You also may consider Rifles from the 80s and 90s. As some people say the quality was higher, I’m thinking of you Remington
View Quote
I’ll agree the 80’s and 90’s are my years of consideration for Remington rifles.  I just purchased a 700 ADL circa 1984 and it’s a quite nice rifle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are going to miss out on a lot of good deals if you won’t buy used from the general public.

Buying used bolt action rifles is pretty benign non my experience.  Aside from some of the obvious Bubba-jobs in cheap milsurps, most bolt action hunters shoot their rifles very little and don’t mess with the internals.

Obviously a used gun needs a careful inspection (and most likely a deep cleaning) before shooting, but rarely have I experienced or heard of a serious issue with a used bolt action purchase.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#21]
All my Bolt guns are Ruger MkII's. They have always treated me good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Howa 1500 have great reviews and thought very highly at a few of the sniper forums. You get a sub moa accuracy guarantee. Can either buy just the action and put it in whichever stock or chassis you choose, or buy a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a sako 75 that has an absolutely smooth as glass action

The trigger is also fantastic and it is extremely accurate
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#24]
You might want to look at the Howa 1500 if you're on any kind of budget.  Otherwise I would go with a Sako.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve bought three Tikka T3’s in the past five years. 270’s for my kids, a .30-06 for me (my 5th ‘06). This ‘06 is my workhorse, stainless and synthetic.

The rifles are ridiculously accurate, rugged, and reliable. Get a good set of rings/mounts (Warne!) and a solid scope and get to hunting. The T3/T3x is the Glock of hunting rifles. They just work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
OP is asking about best actions, so I’ll comment on the best actions.

Tikkas might shoot accurately, be light weight, and have good triggers. Buy that does not make them a good action. Dovetailed and pinned bolt handle, recoil lug that is just sandwiched in the stock and not even attached to the action, one size fits all tubular action, plastic trigger guard and magazine well.
The tikka T3 is an economy rifle, with an excellent Sako barrel.
It is not a good action.

Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard - One piece machined bolt and handle, flat bottom action, big integral recoil lug, steel trigger guard. Good extractor system for a push feed.

Winchester 70 - Controlled round feed with large claw extractor, flat bottom action with large integral recoil lug, aluminum or steel trigger guard and floor plate depending on model. Bolt handle is brazed onto bolt body.

Ruger M77 - Controlled round feed with large claw extractor, aluminum or steel trigger guard and floor plate depending on model.

Comparing quality, functionality, and durability of a bolt action rifle action is a completely different discussion than you guys who are saying “my ___ rifle shoots tight groups and has a nice trigger and has worked fine for me and I got a good deal at tractor supply”
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed here. Had to put a X-Mark trigger in mine for the trigger to feel half way decent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Most of the current popular push-feed actions, including the Remington 700, CZ 557, Tikka etc were designed to be cheap to make. That they have good barrels and a bedding system - even the Ruger American shoots well - doesn’t change this. Also, lawyer triggers.

There is no substitute for vintage skilled hand fitting. CZ550, older Win 70, Sako, Steyr...Kimber maybe worth a look...even the Sako, FN, Mauser and Husqvarna actions made for Sears and Montgomery Ward sold under trade names (J.C. Higgins models 50 thru 54) can be great rifles and had cheaply. There are a lot of fine British rifles that can be had for a bit more. Some of the CZs have stocks that are odd to American eyes.

Some of the department store guns may benefit from restocking, triggers, and modern optics.

There’s nothing wrong with plastic stocks or Tikkas. I’ve been tempted myself and may yet!  But take a look at an older Sako Forester or Finnbear or the Sears equivalent, or a CZ 550; work the action. You’re getting a lot more gun for the money. (The CZ 527, also.)

Edit: That J.C. Higgins M52 is likely to be a Fuddmaster. It might have a scuffed up laquered stock that looked modern when cars had tail fins and a cheapass scope on a terrible mount. But Sako couldn’t sell you an action alone that good for the $450 you’re paying some old guy at a gun show for.

Look also for gunsmith-made rifles on the Swedish military Carl Gustav or Husky actions or CZ actions. Brownells still sells CZ 550 magnum actions.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Are you looking for an all-weather rifle or is this going to be a 'pretty wood' rifle that never sees rough conditions?

My all-weather rifle is a Savage 16 Weather Warrior and I'm very happy with it. I prefer the tang safety over other types oh, so it was either Savage or Browning for me. Which is convenient because I shoot left-handed. Build quality is excellent on the weather warrior and I would put it up against any off the rack rifle from any maker, but I don't believe the same can be said for the cheaper rifles Savage offers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Remington Sendero, American made Model 70, Kimber or a Sako for big brand production.

Montana Rifle Co and Christensen for small shops.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I buy Ruger for basic rifles.  M77 MkII

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Hurricane_Fury:
OP is asking about best actions, so I’ll comment on the best actions. 

Tikkas might shoot accurately, be light weight, and have good triggers. Buy that does not make them a good action. Dovetailed and pinned bolt handle, recoil lug that is just sandwiched in the stock and not even attached to the action, one size fits all tubular action, plastic trigger guard and magazine well. 
The tikka T3 is an economy rifle, with an excellent Sako barrel. 
It is not a good action. 

Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard - One piece machined bolt and handle, flat bottom action, big integral recoil lug, steel trigger guard. Good extractor system for a push feed. 

Winchester 70 - Controlled round feed with large claw extractor, flat bottom action with large integral recoil lug, aluminum or steel trigger guard and floor plate depending on model. Bolt handle is brazed onto bolt body. 

Ruger M77 - Controlled round feed with large claw extractor, aluminum or steel trigger guard and floor plate depending on model. 

Comparing quality, functionality, and durability of a bolt action rifle action is a completely different discussion than you guys who are saying “my ___ rifle shoots tight groups and has a nice trigger and has worked fine for me and I got a good deal at tractor supply”
View Quote

Did winchester go back to CRF? I thought post-64's were all pushfeed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Check out Christensen Arms Mesa. Damn hard to beat for the money.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tikkas might shoot accurately, be light weight, and have good triggers. Buy that does not make them a good action. Dovetailed and pinned bolt handle, recoil lug that is just sandwiched in the stock and not even attached to the action, one size fits all tubular action, plastic trigger guard and magazine well. 
It is not a good action. 

Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard - One piece machined bolt and handle, flat bottom action, big integral recoil lug, steel trigger guard. Good extractor system for a push feed. 

Winchester 70 - Controlled round feed with large claw extractor, flat bottom action with large integral recoil lug, aluminum or steel trigger guard and floor plate depending on model. Bolt handle is brazed onto bolt body. 

Ruger M77 - Controlled round feed with large claw extractor, aluminum or steel trigger guard and floor plate depending on model. 

Comparing quality, functionality, and durability of a bolt action rifle action is a completely different discussion than you guys who are saying “my ___ rifle shoots tight groups and has a nice trigger and has worked fine for me and I got a good deal at tractor supply”

Yes. Winchester model 70’s have been CRF for a number of years now. Since the early to mid 2000’s I believe.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#35]
If you can find one at a decent price buy it, 270 or 30-06.  I had one handed down to me, One of the best hunting rifles next to my mdl 94 30-30 I ever shot.
 I regrettably passed it down to a nephew who probably doesn't appreciate it as much as I did.    

High Value & Budget Price - JC Higgins Model 50 (Built by FN Belgium)
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes. Winchester model 70’s have been CRF for a number of years now. Since the early to mid 2000’s I believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not a good action. 

Actually since the early to mid 90’s.  Those were the model 70 classic
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not a good action. 

Were they all CRF at that time? I knew they made the model 70 “classic” CRF then, but I thought they were still making some push feed rifles then. I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Were they all CRF at that time? I knew they made the model 70 “classic” CRF then, but I thought they were still making some push feed rifles then. I could be wrong though.
View Quote

They were, and eventually were relegated to their budget rifles just like the model 700’s always were,’until freedom arms got greedy.  The black shadows were push feeds but the ultimate shadows were a controlled round push feed.  Some gun shops tried to pass off black shadows as ultimate shadows and priced accordingly.  They were dumps and still are for that reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top