Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2021 1:59:27 PM EDT
I haven't regularly gone camping or hunting in nearly 10 years. Now that I'm fairly settled in life and have the time, money and connections to go hunting and camping again, I need to build a camping setup from scratch. My dad's friends used to go elk hunting as a group in northern Arizona and had a wonderful setup with canvas wall tents. They had tents for each group of people, plus a kitchen tent, outhouse tent, etc. I'd get this type of tent, and be able to expand to a setup like this in the future. I am considering out of state options for elk hunting in the future, such as Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, etc. So being able to adapt this to cold weather would be nice. Short term would be general camping and deer hunting in conditions that won't be that cold (say lows in the high 20s).

I've been thinking about getting a 10x12 tent from Davis. https://www.davistent.com/product/canvas-wall-tents/ I've laid out how large this tent would be, and it seems more than sufficient for two people in a single cot, a stove, some dry storage, and could potentially be big enough to keep the kitchen (just a small table with a two burner propane stove) indoors. Does this seem like overkill? Things like this are where I prefer to buy once and cry once. How comfortable are these kinds of tents in the summer? I've only experienced them in the winter time.

I could also use advice on a good propane stove. Should I just get the $50 Coleman that my dad and I used when I was a kid, or should I consider something better? I'd rather get something good than be cheap.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a fan of these folks:   https://www.diamondbrandgear.com/

They have really progressed with the ability of zip open or roll up windows.   If you put them on a frame, in the summer generally roll up the sides if it is hot and dry.   Roll it down and can be weather tight quickly.    

I am aware in hot and dry environments of the canvas lasting 40 years.   Get them wet a lot or keep them moist and you won't get that out of them.   Why you will see an extra cover over the top (double roof) to extend the life.  

A Blackstone grill is the current choice these days.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I absolutely love my Davis 10x12 it's perfect for 2 or tight but usable for 3... I use 2 of the big xl size cabelas cots along the sidewalls with the stove on the left as you come in and it allows me to setup a 6' table across the back wall to lay a few things on or eat at. I setup one of the 10' pop up canopy things at the front door as a makeshift cook shack or spot to take off muddy boots.

I have a camp chef 2 burner stove and the optional griddle and bbq box they each take up one burner or you can remove them to cook things like chili or heating water if you don't have the wood stove going inside.

mine only gets used in the fall so I don't have windows but I've read they really help in the hot weather
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top