Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2020 3:31:38 PM EDT
This cooler has been in the family probably longer than i e been alive.  Parents and older brothers used it when they camped in the desert and sierras in the 60’s.  

Outiside isnt in terrible shape but the interior has rust spots.  

Anyway to get those out or refinish it or is this Just a decorative memento at this point.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not.  They were not the best but worked for a few hours.  Don't see any around anymore.  I think they were Styrofoam filled insulation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I would restore it if for nothing more than a conversation piece
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would restore it if for nothing more than a conversation piece
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Wire brush wheel on a cordless drill should clean it up nicely.  Worst case, turn it into a cooler for cans.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It would make a cool ice bucket on a bar. You could just put a small trash bag in it to hold ice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wire brush wheel on a cordless drill should clean it up nicely.  Worst case, turn it into a cooler for cans.
View Quote

yeah..thats what Im thinking.  I don't think the interior is salvageable at all.  Whatever that lining is, it has some chips in it exposing the bottom and the rust i don't think can be removed.  I certainly wouldn't drink out of it but it would be good for keeping cans cool or as an ice bucket with a liner.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#7]
you can remove the rust on the bottom with evaporust.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you can remove the rust on the bottom with evaporust.
View Quote

it looks like thats for use on steel only?  there is some kind of plastic like liner inside of that and thats what the rust is on, and there is also a chip in it too top it off exposing the metal underneath
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top