Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2016 3:55:51 PM EDT
Anyone have this kayak? Looking to pick a starter fishing kayak up and it is on sale at Gander right now. Seems like good reviews for the price point but was wondering if there are first hand experiences here.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I just picked one up last weekend. Going to try it out next weekend. I liked it and it had good reviews, so we will see!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]

IMHO, I'd spend $50 more and get this (or similar) at Dicks.  For fishing, a sit-on-top kayak makes a lot more sense, at least to me.  I love the ability to sit side-saddle with feet in the water.  Side-saddle also makes getting gear out of the back of the kayak a lot easier.

If you're not wanting to get wet, then yeah, a sit-in would make more sense.  They just seem like they'd be a PITA trying to move around and get to your gear.  YMMV

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11279269&cp=4406646.70516396.4413993.4417832&categoryId=13041155

ETA:  Was walking around Dicks this morning killing time, and I saw this one there.  I was impressed for a Big Box store buy.  It's a bit more money, however.

I'm thinking about upgrading out of my Trident 13 for this big, sexy beast.     http://www.austinkayak.com/products/15454/Feelfree-Lure-135-Kayak.html

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's mostly going to be used for fishing, I'd buy a sit on top.

And regardless of what it's for, I'd go longer. 12-14'.
A 10' boat isn't going to track worth a damn on any open water and it's going to be pretty crowded if you try to put gear in it.

There's a reason I have two kayaks, and one sits pretty much unused.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The type of water you're fishing in plays a big part in determining whether you want a sit in or sit on. I use a sit in because some of the places I fish would be very dangerous to access in a sit on. If you're only fishing flats or a nice calm lake a sit on is fine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in no way an expert but all the kayaks I see used for offshore are sit on tops so they must pretty stable and safe in rougher waters.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
One of the places I fish, below a dam where they stock trout in the winter ... there a guy there who has a small Old Town Vapor but I don't remember which one, it's pretty small. He loves it and catches as many fish in it as anyone else. One advantage of the small kayaks is portability, just throw it in the pickup and go.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in no way an expert but all the kayaks I see used for offshore are sit on tops so they must pretty stable and safe in rougher waters.
View Quote
The sit on tops are easier to get back into and water drains out the scupper holes if you over turn it as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top