Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2021 10:28:20 PM EDT
I recently noticed my old tractor is giving off a little more diesel odor with a tad more smoke out of the stack once under any load. Not burning any oil, no oil leaks, and no loss of power.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Blow by.

Engine is getting weak.  You could do an oil analysis to see your fuel dilution.

Could try to do an engine oil systems cleaner to get any carbon out of the bottom of the rings. But really, it’s just probably worn out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Could be injector pump pushing fuel out of spec.   Totally different tractor but when I was young we had an AC 185 start running rich because pump was dying.  It still ran, so we pushed through planting season with a man made black cloud under load.  It was awesome.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blow by.

Engine is getting weak.  You could do an oil analysis to see your fuel dilution.

Could try to do an engine oil systems cleaner to get any carbon out of the bottom of the rings. But really, it’s just probably worn out.
View Quote

Worn out . That would be incredibly disappointing given it does not have 1,800 hours on it and it has not been run hard but I am not a mechanic.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
The only way to know the health of your engine would be to do a compression test and possibly a leak down test and compare to specs.  You could also use an inspection camera to look at the inside of your cylinders.  Smell is very subjective and doesn't produce definitive details on your engine health.  As long as it's not consuming oil and has appropriate amount of power, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Could just be the batch of diesel fuel you got.  Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#5]
You could also have a bad injector. They can stick partially open and spray fuel when they aren't supposed too.

It's semi common in the light truck world, I'm no tractor mechanic though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Start simple. New fuel and air filter. Send an oil sample out and see what comes back.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Disconnect your fuel supply line at the injector pump. Put a line from the injector pump into a gallon jug of Lucas fuel conditioner. Start it up and let it run until it stops smoking and starts idling smooth. Dump the rest in the tank and run it through.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Add a half pint (or more if you want) two stroke outboard motor oil to the fuel with every fill. Will clean and lubricate injectors, lubricate top end, extend the life of the injector pump. It's dirt cheap, widely available and will absolutely not hurt anything in a diesel that doesn't have exhaust emission aftertreatment.

Fuck ULSD it is the worst shit in the world for older diesel engines.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Worn out . That would be incredibly disappointing given it does not have 1,800 hours on it and it has not been run hard but I am not a mechanic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blow by.

1800hr isn’t old then. Different details. Old tractor to me is something with 15000hrs or more.

As previously mentioned, stuck injector. You could still have a stuck ring.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1800hr isn’t old then. Different details. Old tractor to me is something with 15000hrs or more.

As previously mentioned, stuck injector. You could still have a stuck ring.
View Quote

When I said old I meant old as in age, it is a 90's.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I will start with the easiest suggestions and work up from there. Fingers crossed it is something on the easy end.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Air filter. That's how I can tell when mine needs changing.

The 2 stroke oil is a very good idea too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top