Page / 147
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:
@cuttingedge
 What do you use to uncap currently?
View Quote

Cappings plane and and heated knife and I hate both...
Time to step up to the next level.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Next page???
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked the uncapping plane when it worked well.  Doesn't seem to maintain heat long enough to do a frame.  Set it down and forget to turn off the switch and it scorches the honey/wax residue on it.  Try to uncap 10 frames and it is dragging into the wax since it doesn't stay hot enough.  I will pick up a new heating element for next year.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked the uncapping plane when it worked well.  Doesn't seem to maintain heat long enough to do a frame.  Set it down and forget to turn off the switch and it scorches the honey/wax residue on it.  Try to uncap 10 frames and it is dragging into the wax since it doesn't stay hot enough.  I will pick up a new heating element for next year.
View Quote

I also use a heat gun when I don’t want to mess with wax. All of these things are too slow for me and honestly, I despise playing with honey.
You guys are more into honey production than I am but things are changing and we are beginning to sell more wholesale.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Wholesale is where to be, on the smaller scale.  I am not into bulk sales as they only bring $2-$3 per pound.  I plan on staying smallenough to have a niche in my area.  Just picked up 3 new retail outlets.  I plan on a goal of ~2000 lbs next year to fill sales.  $6 per pound wholesale and $7-$8 retail if I sell it.  If I have to sell it at $2 or $3 per pound I will let it set on the beehives as that is what the syrup costs me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Wholesale is where to be, on the smaller scale.  I am not into bulk sales as they only bring $2-$3 per pound.  I plan on staying smallenough to have a niche in my area.  Just picked up 3 new retail outlets.  I plan on a goal of ~2000 lbs next year to fill sales.  $6 per pound wholesale and $7-$8 retail if I sell it.  If I have to sell it at $2 or $3 per pound I will let it set on the beehives as that is what the syrup costs me.
View Quote

$2-$3 per pound isn’t worth the effort to extract it.
We are getting $6 wholesale and $10 retail.
Honey prices were driven up over the last two years here. I am also going to be selling pollen but have no idea how to price it as nobody else is selling it locally.
Right now I am sitting on approximately 80lbs of pollen in a chest freezer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:19:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Don't do something special for us...just interested in what you are doing.  Obviously Dux noticed something I did not in the extraction video you posted.

Very interested in what you are doing and why.
View Quote

I've been to busy to make a detailed post and probably won't have time in the next few days.
HERE is a link describing the uncapper with a FAQ section and a list of some of the advantages.
I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about any aspect of my extraction process.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Pulled thi off facebook. A beekeeping suit for his donkey, but its the logo on the keepers suit...which one of you is this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:58:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#9]
That’s neat/funny with the donkey

But as far as the uncapper goes, I found the website and a video on utube
That’s very slick.   I am hesitant to take any frames so far from my hives, but I think I will be ordering one of these for next year.  Just never know what the winter will be like, although I will be feeding them into the winter, and then restock on whatever nice days in Jan/feb that I can.    Have learned a lot through this year beyond what my Dad and I were doing together before he passed.  
I never cared for the chinese made plane or the rakes.  And he didn’t have a good decapping tub.  Very messy process.  I’ll have to order a tub with a nice screen too.  We have a nice spinner/separator
This bee stuff has cut into my gun money a lot more than I’d ever thought, but this was a rough year with a drought through most of the summer.
At least they should be doing well on all the golden rod, although that is getting close to the end no
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
That’s neat/funny with the donkey

But as far as the uncapper goes, I found the website and a video on utube
That’s very slick.   I am hesitant to take any frames so far from my hives, but I think I will be ordering one of these for next year.  Just never know what the winter will be like, although I will be feeding them into the winter, and then restock on whatever nice days in Jan/feb that I can.    Have learned a lot through this year beyond what my Dad and I were doing together before he passed.  
I never cared for the chinese made plane or the rakes.  And he didn’t have a good decapping tub.  Very messy process.  I’ll have to order a tub with a nice screen too.  We have a nice spinner/separator
This bee stuff has cut into my gun money a lot more than I’d ever thought, but this was a rough year with a drought through most of the summer.
At least they should be doing well on all the golden rod, although that is getting close to the end no
View Quote

My uncapping plane is actually AMERICAN Made by MAXANT. As far as the uncapping tub I think Mann lake sells the 2 piece tote type for an outrageous amount.  I bought the tote parts from ZORO and cut out the bottom and slid in a removeable queen excluder to hold the wax off of the bottom.  Worked well enough but the frames just didn't quite fit well enough as a holding area once uncapped and I moved on from it.  It's in storage right now.  Bought a Mann Lake tank and although it is light duty it works well.  I think with the uncapper from HeloBravo on that tank things would work smoothly...
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]

My uncapping plane is actually AMERICAN Made by MAXANT. As far as the uncapping tub I think Mann lake sells the 2 piece tote type for an outrageous amount.  I bought the tote parts from ZORO and cut out the bottom and slid in a removeable queen excluder to hold the wax off of the bottom.  Worked well enough but the frames just didn't quite fit well enough as a holding area once uncapped and I moved on from it.  It's in storage right now.  Bought a Mann Lake tank and although it is light duty it works well.  I think with the uncapper from HeloBravo on that tank things would work smoothly...
View Quote

The Mann Lake tank it bullet proof. I've used the same one for years with my uncapper.
If I had a hundred hives and a designated building, I'd probably have a rectangular stainless tank with my uncapper mounted on it. A little more room would be nice for the inevitable broken or otherwise messed up frames that I usually just stick in the bottom of the uncapping tank until I can repair them or let bees clean before throwing away.
I never used a hot knife, always a cold serrated long bread knife until I used a friends $1300 Sideliner, which was so far from what it could be, I made my own device. A friend used a heat gun which seemed very messy and he had wax hardening back up at inopportune times.
We sell our honey for $8/pound. Since we don't do farmers markets anymore, we have others sell out honey but I don't know what the wife unit sells it for wholesale.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#12]
A dedicated building would be great.  We just put everything back into storage after we are done. I was asked about a few farmers markets so we do the same.  If someone is going I give them the honey wholesale.  If I know them well enough we will take back what doesn't sell.  I am not going to spend a day for $100 worth of sales... Stores prefer to buy it outright and I am better with that also.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#13]
A dedicated building would be great.  We just put everything back into storage after we are done. I was asked about a few farmers markets so we do the same.  If someone is going I give them the honey wholesale.  If I know them well enough we will take back what doesn't sell.  I am not going to spend a day for $100 worth of sales... Stores prefer to buy it outright and I am better with that also.
View Quote

If you are the only honey at a farmers market, which we were at ours(by agreement with management) a friend still is at his it is an ATM machine.
I wouldn't get up early, drive to town and set up for $100. We made many, many hundreds of dollars every morning.
My friend who is at a much more upscale market makes north of 500 every Saturday.
I was going to put my extracting operation on a trailer so I could rent it. I can do everything I need to do in an 8x12 area, including my 30 frame extractor. When I was going to to go all in and try to get big, I was going to put it in a school bus.
I was just looking at some pic and figured I'd post one showing my hive stand. Bottom boards are expensive and I very seldom move my hives. I do not use solid bottom boards.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the bottoms integrated with the hive stands.  I am starting to rethink my early philosophy also.  Being a Deputy in a rural area put me in contact with many farmers.  They asked me tp put beehives out on their property.  Eventually I got up to 30 Apairies containing 1-3 hives.  Now that I am getting older I realize the foolishness of this.  My idea at the beginning was to spread out the hives so they did not compete with each other for resources.  Now I am combining my yards to 8-10 hives per yard.  I think your stand idea would be great for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the bottoms integrated with the hive stands.  I am starting to rethink my early philosophy also.  Being a Deputy in a rural area put me in contact with many farmers.  They asked me tp put beehives out on their property.  Eventually I got up to 30 Apairies containing 1-3 hives.  Now that I am getting older I realize the foolishness of this.  My idea at the beginning was to spread out the hives so they did not compete with each other for resources.  Now I am combining my yards to 8-10 hives per yard.  I think your stand idea would be great for me.
View Quote

Competition? I don't know how many hives you'd have to have to worry about it.
I keep 35, and have had about 50, hives 20 yards from my house. Never an issue. Bees fly a long way...
I know guys who keep more than that in one place and they know a lot more than me.
No way i'd keep up with 3 hive bee yards.
Having hives close has to lead to cross contamination of parasites and viruses. I've never had a noticable issue.
Every guy I know who put bees on some dudes property for his crops regretted it. Bees struggle if not die due to pesticides and other stressors.
I did lose a bunch of hive a few years ago because some absentee "farmer" rented land across the road and his guys were spraying in the middle of the day and who knows what all. I spoke to the owner and she booted them. So, you never can be sure you're safe, even on your own land.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe not competing for the same resources but out here we have huge corn, bean ad wheat field with few treelines so I just thought it would be better for the bees to be spread out rather than have them work the same areas.  It worked for me as for as the health of the hives, except for keeping up with them.  I ended up with a touch of foulbrood at a yard or 2 and it never spread to a bunch of hives so I do like the strategy.  If something would get sprayed the wouldn't get a bunch of hives.  Luckily I never really noticed but a few die offs I attributed to sprays and none of them killed any of my hives.  Around here most of the farmers are small family owned operations and they are aware of my hives and notify me the day before they spray.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, 5 of my 7 hives have absconded. Not really sure why, although the hopguard 3 probably shares some of the blame, at least for a couple of them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Oh no!!!

What is the hopguard 3?

And why do you blame it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Well, 5 of my 7 hives have absconded. Not really sure why, although the hopguard 3 probably shares some of the blame, at least for a couple of them.

Oh no!!!

What is the hopguard 3?

And why do you blame it?

Hopguard 3 us a mite control that is safe to use with honey supers
I noticed that when I put the 2nd treatment on, the bees were attacking the strips. I used hopguard 2 last year without problems. My thought is that they really didn't like it, and decided to leave. The alternative would be that it didn't really do much to control the mites, and they decided enough was enough.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#21]

I noticed that when I put the 2nd treatment on, the bees were attacking the strips. I used hopguard 2 last year without problems. My thought is that they really didn't like it, and decided to leave. The alternative would be that it didn't really do much to control the mites, and they decided enough was enough.
View All Quotes

Oh no!!!

What is the hopguard 3?

And why do you blame it?

Late season Absconding is almost always the result of high mite loads. We have done some testing with Hopguard II and have found that it is not very effective at all. I was at an Apiary Inspectors Meeting last week and many of the inspectors said the same.
There are much better products available for controlling varroa.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#22]
There are much better products available for controlling varroa.
View Quote

What's the latest plan?

Is anyone still smoking their hives with oxalic acid?

I'm going to put in at least one hive next spring and want to be prepared.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

What's the latest plan?

View Quote

I had pitiful to negative results with Hopuard and whatever was the competitor back in the day.
I use an OxaVap vaporizer with great results. I participated in a year long university study that proved the effectiveness.
This is the vaporizer I've used for 3 seasons.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]

What's the latest plan?

View Quote

We rotate treatments to help prevent resistance issues. This year we used Apivar (Amitraz). Last year we used Formic Pro on all of our production colonies and Api Life Var (Thymol) on all of our nucs. We have been working on a Combo treatment of Formic and OA with a few friends and will have some results by next year. Basically we are using some of the known negative effects of Formic Acid to our benefit and following up with a clean-up treatment of OAV at a specific time to catch all of the mites missed by the Formic. For these tests we are using something very similar to the Provap but it is made locally and is constructed of all metal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Thats nice
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is a graphic from our research project that should help explain what we are working on without getting into too much detail.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#27]
My bees are still bringing in some pollen.  Crazy 75+F days mid November,  A couple of frosts has killed most flowers.  
Must be a few scattered dandelions and something else.  Two colors of it,   Not a lot, but surprising since the goldenrod has been done for about two weeks.  There were some little daisy like flowers until a few days ago.  Also some Queen Anne’s lace type weed, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen honey bees on that.  Probably next to no pollen and nectar
They seem to have good honey stores now.  
Gave them more syrup today, making sure they are well fed, and some winter pollen patty/paste.

Supposed to be quite mild for several more weeks, so still need to get the sugar feeding boards done, and will try Vivaldi board this year on top.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m fighting with a bear.

He flipped over one of my hives this weekend, but rode the lightning of my electric fence and split once he pulled it over.

I was able to right the hive, and they seemed no worse for wear.

Still, this bear and I are have to going to come to an.......understanding.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#31]

How did he get close enough to the hive to pull it over if you've got an electric fence?
View Quote

My bee yard is surrounded by a 4’ high chicken wire fence. Around that is the electric fence (on its own posts). It’s low enough that he was able to stand up and reach over the fences. He grabbed the hive closest to the fence, which fell over into the chicken wire, which touched the electric fence, which shocked him.

This guy. He’s been waiting a while to make his move.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#33]
He’s a beaut, but huge. He’s been hanging around a lot, and he’s surely flipped some hives of a neighbor down the road.

I’m going to rethink my fence setup. I’d rather let bygones be bygones.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#34]
Some sponges soaked in Ammonia work very well.
I have a friend that had a major problem with bears up here when doing blueberry pollination and the state biologist recommended soaking some sponges with Ammonia and spreading them around the perimeter of the bee yard. This is in conjunction with the fence.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
Some sponges soaked in Ammonia work very well.
I have a friend that had a major problem with bears up here when doing blueberry pollination and the state biologist recommended soaking some sponges with Ammonia and spreading them around the perimeter of the bee yard. This is in conjunction with the fence.
View Quote

Guess what I’ll be doing!

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:51:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#36]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Someone remind me when does all of the bee supply companies put there sale on.  Think I'm going to abandon my long lang and get enough boxes and frames for at least 3 hives.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By runs_with_scissors:
Someone remind me when does all of the bee supply companies put there sale on.  Think I'm going to abandon my long lang and get enough boxes and frames for at least 3 hives.
View Quote

Usually March is when Mann Lake has their big 12-13 % off sale.  They call it March Madness.   Also they usually run a big Black Friday sale!

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Usually March is when Mann Lake has their big 12-13 % off sale.  They call it March Madness.   Also they usually run a big Black Friday sale!

View All Quotes

Dear Mann Lake Customer,

We  are writing to let you know that we recently announced changes to our Bee Buck$  and Cluck Buck$ rewards programs.

Since you have previously enrolled in one or more of  these, we wanted to tell you about the new policies well before they go into  effect on February 1, 2021. Below is a summary of the new policies.

Summary of the new policies (effective February 1,  2021):

•Bee Buck$ and Cluck Buck$  will be part of a paid membership program, called Gold Club, effective February  1, 2021.

•Autoenrollment into Bee  Buck$ and Cluck Buck$ will be discontinued effective immediately.

•Anyone can enroll in Gold  Club to receive the following:Priority order  handling
2.5% rewards on  purchases*
Plus an additional 5%  discount on all in-store transactions

​*Earn rewards on  all purchases. Points cannot be redeemed for syrup shipments.

What this means for you:

•Pending accruals earned  through January 31, 2021 will be posted to your account after enrollment in Gold  Club. You must enroll by May 31, or these accruals will expire.

•You will begin accruing  Gold Club rewards as soon as you enroll. Enrollments after May 31, 2021 will not  be eligible to earn their previous accrual balance. Reward accruals will begin  the month of your enrollment and will be posted to your account in March and  September.

•Prior rewards posted as a credit on your account will  remain as a credit.

•If your accrual is $130 or more, you will automatically be enrolled in Gold  Club using your rewards. You will receive information within the month regarding  your membership details.

Learn more about how to  enroll

Enroll online starting February 1 or call customer  support. Your annual membership of $130 will be automatically renewed unless you  cancel. To learn more about your Gold Club benefits, call or visit our Gold Club page.

Thank you for using our services.

Your Mann Lake team
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#41]
When did they start sending out this notice?  I've neve seen it yet.  They did send me a free tumbler for Christmas though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:58:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runs_with_scissors] [#42]
Any words of advice on removing bees from a toolbox.  Planning on removing a hive from one Tuesday for someone I worked with years ago.
ETA-Guy told me I could just take the entire toolbox.  Thinking about just putting the box in the back of my truck and wrapping them with a moving blanket to transport them home.  Then transfer them to boxes when it warms up.  Only thing I'm worried about is basically scrambling them like an egg since they are not in frames and I don't know how big the hive is or how well attached the comb is.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Any words of advice on removing bees from a toolbox.  Planning on removing a hive from one Tuesday for someone I worked with years ago.
ETA-Guy told me I could just take the entire toolbox.  Thinking about just putting the box in the back of my truck and wrapping them with a moving blanket to transport them home.  Then transfer them to boxes when it warms up.  Only thing I'm worried about is basically scrambling them like an egg since they are not in frames and I don't know how big the hive is or how well attached the comb is.
View Quote

How long of a drive is it? Do you have a thermal camera to guestimate the size of the hive? Maybe a scope to look inside?

You definitely have some advantages over when I did something similar last year (or maybe 2019?) and failed. "Mine" were in a steel barrel lying on its side. Even though I marked it, I know that we did not keep it 100% level when moving it onto my trailer with a tractor. Then, I drove it 40 miles home. I unloaded by hand and put it on a metal stand. Again, I know it had some excess motion. The barrel was originally in the shade at the old farm and in the sun at my place. Within a few days, there were no bees. I had to cut off the end of the barrel to get to the comb. Most of it had fallen to the bottom. Whether it was the addtional heat, or all the motion, I don't know. It was a pretty small hive, equivalent to 5-6 deep frames, and the comb was only attached at the top before the move.

The positives of your situation:
1. Cooler weather.
2. Better control on the orientation (top-side-up) of the hive
3. Maybe -- distance?
4. Maybe -- bigger hive?

Good luck. I would personally try again, given the opportunity. I learn something new every time. Often, it's what not to do.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I decided at the last minute to not get them.  Made the decision not to try and keep bees again this year.  Just have to much going on at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#45]
After the deep freeze we just had, I finally got to check my bees yesterday. I lost 5 of 6 hives. There were 2 which were light on resources but still capped honey. Three had a lot of stores, even more than the surviving hive. Seeing all the little frozen bodies, heads-in, in a big cluster was disheartening. The survival was 6 ft further from shade and had 2 hives behind it blocking the N wind.

I had planned to wrap the boxes in moving blankets prior to the freeze but opted to not. The experienced keepers in the groups I read recommended against it. Well, for my particular situation/location, it looks like the wrong call. It's a mess.

My wife is clearly tired of me relocating colonies from water meter boxes and catching swarms. She asked how much to replace those that we lost. Almost $2K in nucs from Bee Weaver, but I really need 8 nucs, and not deliverable until mid-May.

I'm still planning to build some long Langstroths with 2x thick walls. I could argue that now is the time.

I'll quit whining now. How are your girls doing?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sgt_seti:
After the deep freeze we just had, I finally got to check my bees yesterday. I lost 5 of 6 hives. There were 2 which were light on resources but still capped honey. Three had a lot of stores, even more than the surviving hive. Seeing all the little frozen bodies, heads-in, in a big cluster was disheartening. The survival was 6 ft further from shade and had 2 hives behind it blocking the N wind.

I had planned to wrap the boxes in moving blankets prior to the freeze but opted to not. The experienced keepers in the groups I read recommended against it. Well, for my particular situation/location, it looks like the wrong call. It's a mess.

My wife is clearly tired of me relocating colonies from water meter boxes and catching swarms. She asked how much to replace those that we lost. Almost $2K in nucs from Bee Weaver, but I really need 8 nucs, and not deliverable until mid-May.

I'm still planning to build some long Langstroths with 2x thick walls. I could argue that now is the time.

View All Quotes

Look at "How to Autopsy a Honey Bee Colony." It may have been something else...

Nope, here it is...

Did the bees die with their heads in the cell, butts sticking out, away from honey stores? Was the weather previously cold?

Your bees may have died from starvation. This happens often in cold weather when the hive is unable to break cluster to move to their stores. This is common in a winter killed hive.

I've seen this with my own hives. It's heartbreaking, I know.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Nope, here it is...

View All Quotes

Nope, here it is...

Did the bees die with their heads in the cell, butts sticking out, away from honey stores? Was the weather previously cold?

Your bees may have died from starvation. This happens often in cold weather when the hive is unable to break cluster to move to their stores. This is common in a winter killed hive.

Sorry to hear about your losses. So far we are doing well but winter isn’t over. As far as bees starving next to food, that often will happen with weaker colonies that have dwindled over time from varroa and the associated viruses. If you haven’t done anything with them, you can perform an alcohol wash on a cup of dead bees from each colony. If you have a lot of mites in your sample, it was very likely that they were compromised.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:52:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#48]
Omg. Someone please tell me to stop watching Canadian beekeeper videos on YouTube.

We were predicted to get to near zero degrees last week and I have an old walk-in cooler that doesn’t work within 100 yards of my bees.

I had snow falling I decided to put them in the cooler for a week. We got down to zero alright. Froze my ass off, had major power outages. I basically lived in my greenhouses for a week checking generators and heaters.

A week later it’s warmed up to 80 degrees. I pulled all my hives out yesterday, put them on pallets and moved them back out on the bee yard with the tractor.

It was a huge pain in the ass, but they don’t seem any worse for wear. Probably the coldest we’ve been in Texas since the early 1980’s or late 70’s.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#49]
By Canadian Beekeeper I assume that you are referring to Ian Steppler? I can tell you from first hand experience that he is one funny dude when he has a few beers in him
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah, I guess that is who that is. It looked easier to all the hives into the cooler when he did it on youtube.

I need a bigger door on my cooler or smaller pallets on wheels that will fit through my door. I didn't measure, but it looks like a 36" door.

I do have some EUR pallets 31.5" x 47.24". I guess if I can squeeze my pallet forks tight enough, I can pick them up from the small end.

But I think I'm done building custom stands out of 2x6's. Everything goes on a pallet and move it with a tractor.
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top