[Last Edit: TCH2FIX] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

What a great photo!

View Quote

Sorry - double tap.   Here is a picture of my apiaryAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:32:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runs_with_scissors] [#3]
Had a bad day and almost want to give my bee to someone that knows what they are doing.  Had 3 goals when I went in my hive today.  1)find in mark my queen 2) put my beetle traps in 3) mark all of my frames with a 20 for their year and the ones from the Nuc with Nuc.

Everything was going good until I saw the queen.  Some how when I went to grab my queen cage I dropped the frame.  The queen was in the middle of the frame sunnyside up so I know she wasn't crushed but I never could find her again.  Second mishap was I dropped a beatle trap and some oil got a few bees and the top of the frame.about the same time my German Shepherd showed up after climbing the fence on her little yard.  By that time the bees had finally gotten stirred up as I was getting things closed up.  As we go to leave they decided to tear her up.  So now I feel like I royally screwed my hive up and now nursing an 80 lbs German Shepherd that keeps getting sick from being stung a few times one right in her ear.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runs_with_scissors] [#6]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Did you accomplish getting the frames marked?
View Quote

Unfortunately I didn't get them marked.  After I dropped the beatle blaster I decided it was time to stop.  I'm using a long lang and have 31 frames to mark I'll save that for another day.  Next month I'm just going to see if they are putting on more comb on the other frames without pulling them.  Feel like they should have more made than they do.  Hope its just all of the storms and cool weather we are having affecting them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
It warmed up enough today to check out the hives.
3 out of 4 are doing well.   2 very well with lots of bees.   Saw some brood hatching out of their cells in those.   Still only into the first level
My lime green/chartreuse hive all the bees were almost dead.   I found the queen on top of a pile of bees on the hive bottom, moving super slow,   I put her back on a frame.   The bees still on the frame were almost dead too.  Super lethargic and didn’t need any smoke.  There was some  Capped brood there.  It was pretty active through a few days ago.  
maybe this cold spell was too much for that hive?

The orange hive box that I thought lost the queen was doing OK,  not as many bees as the two good ones, but there she was laying eggs and moving around,
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:13:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MateFrio] [#9]
Some humor?

"Summer, how old IS your dad?...Well he's obviously bee keeping age"

Beekeeping Dads | Rick and Morty | adult swim

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:12:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runs_with_scissors] [#10]

Had the night off and got to work on my tool box.  Just can't figure out what I did with the hinges and latches.  Need to shape the handle to fit the hand better, along with sanding and sealing everything.  Still trying to decide if I'm going add something so my brush and tool is on the outside.  May just put them under the lid.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope I never need to burn a hive because of foulbrood.

I bring this up, because last year I mistakenly bought about 45 used medium frames. They were actually short frames. Shorter than standard in fact. I couldn't sell them locally on the local bee groups.

So I thought I'd toss them in the firepit tonight.

Holy shit. Started with about 30 frames. Remember, these are empty frames, but are coated with years of wax.

Attachment Attached File

All I can say is if I had to burn boxes full of beeswax, it would be impressively tall flame, lots of black smoke, and very very hot. I was sitting about 8 feet away when I took this pic, and it was still too hot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
One of our breeder queens.

:)

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

First swarm this year.

I just happened to see them start swarming from their original hive. It took about 15 minutes for them to leave the hive, fly around a bit, and move about 40 feet away to these blackberry bushes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Question for you guys, did a split and the new queen looks great and it's been 2 weeks since she was born. No sign of larva or capped brood yet, not even eggs from what I could see. Also have a new split with a purchased queen and she was supposed to be mated but have seen no eggs after 2 weeks. Then guess what? My original ass kicking Russian hive has a new queen they made when I took away their original queen. And no eggs either after a few weeks. I guess the drones are soy boys and aren't knocking the girls up. I know I have probably a few weeks before all the bees die if they don't lay soon.
Such a fun but frustrating hobby at times.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rcav8r] [#18]
Originally Posted By Crazycamper123:
Question for you guys, did a split and the new queen looks great and it's been 2 weeks since she was born. No sign of larva or capped brood yet, not even eggs from what I could see. Also have a new split with a purchased queen and she was supposed to be mated but have seen no eggs after 2 weeks. Then guess what? My original ass kicking Russian hive has a new queen they made when I took away their original queen. And no eggs either after a few weeks. I guess the drones are soy boys and aren't knocking the girls up. I know I have probably a few weeks before all the bees die if they don't lay soon.
Such a fun but frustrating hobby at times.
View Quote

You mean your local drones (not your drones) are.soyboys. The queen isnt gonna mate with her brothers, or drones in her hive.
Is there a dearth of wild bees or beekeepers in your area?
Now.as.to the virgin queen that hasnt laid yet, how was the weather a week or so ago? They will only go on mating flights on a nice day. Give her another week.
Did your mated queen have attendents in the cage with her? If she really was mated,.she should have been laying as soon as she was released.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:26:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#19]
I checked my three surviving hives today.  
First one had lots of bees.  About two-three weeks ago I thought I recalled seeing the queen and even saw some brood emerging from their cells in this one.   Today, no brood cells that I saw, and no sign of the queen.  Maybe she was killed on a mating flight?  I ordered a new queen - hopefully she will arrive before it’s too late for the remaining bees.

The second hive was strong.  Didn’t see the queen, but a decent amount of brood, and lots of bees.  A few queen cups formed, but they were all empty and don’t appear to have been used.

The third hive I thought was done, but found the queen.  Maybe a few hundred bees there.   I wonder if there was another (Unmarked) queen in there in the package, and a bunch left with her?   I never saw a bunch of dead bees that were pushed out below the entrance.   So this one is odd to me.  

I did lose one of the four that my dad bought (just before he died).   Possibly the cold spell we had a couple weeks ago was too much for them.  They were almost totally dead when I checked right after that - extremely sluggish.    There was some brood in a couple frames, but it doesn’t look like any hatched after the remainder of the bees died.   Some bees still hanging on the frames, and a lot on the bottom.   I cleaned the dead out, and took out the frames with any brood.

With any luck will attract a swarm in a trap, maybe even find one nearby.  Haven’t heard of anyone local saying they’ve seen any yet.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
I checked my three surviving hives today.  
First one had lots of bees.  About two-three weeks ago I thought I recalled seeing the queen and even saw some brood emerging from their cells in this one.   Today, no brood cells that I saw, and no sign of the queen.  Maybe she was killed on a mating flight?  I ordered a new queen - hopefully she will arrive before it’s too late for the remaining bees.
A queen will only go on a mating flight once in her life-it may actually take a few flights over a few days, but once she's done, she's done.

The third hive I thought was done, but found the queen.  Maybe a few hundred bees there.   I wonder if there was another (Unmarked) queen in there in the package, and a bunch left with her?   I never saw a bunch of dead bees that were pushed out below the entrance.   So this one is odd to me.  
If you only have a few hundred bees, that colony is probably dead. You could have tried combining it with the queenless hive, but you said you already ordered a queen for it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone ever had a hive just seem like it didn't want to grow?  Didn't pull frames out today just looked in see if I could see any new comb on the frames, and move my follower board.  Left my follower board at the 10 frame mark, and it still looks like they are concentrated on the nuc frames, and the same one they have been drawing out for what seems forever.  Is there something I can do to give them a boost?  I fed them sugar syrup during the storms we had. Trying to get an experienced keeper to come look at them to see if there is something going on that my inexperienced self doesn't see.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:20:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#22]
Feed them 1:1 sugar syrup constantly until they have drawn out the desired amount of comb. You can add a little Apple Cider Vinegar or honey bee heathy to keep it from fermenting and encourage them to take it down. Also have you done an alcohol wash to determine what your mite loads are like? Sick bees that are riddled with viruses will be slow to build up.
Also how is your queen performing?
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
Feed them 1:1 sugar syrup constantly until they have drawn out the desired amount of comb. You can add a little Apple Cider Vinegar or honey bee heathy to keep it from fermenting and encourage them to take it down. Also have you done an alcohol wash to determine what your mite loads are like? Sick bees that are riddled with viruses will be slow to build up.
Also how is your queen performing?
View Quote

Actually pulled some frames today to see what was going on.  Didn't think about doing the alcohol test to see what the mite count looks like.  One of the 3 beatle traps was slam full so they probably weren't helping.  Going to review my gopro video in a bit, but I believe only 1 1/2 frames out of 6 where brood.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 3:24:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#24]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Just checking in to let folks know I'm still alive and still into bees. MannLake shorted me some boxes this spring, and they never got put on when I finally got them. So I only had 5 out, 3 made pretty good, the other 2 are gonna sit a couple more weeks. I have a few other hives that I may pull one or two deeps out and see if there's anything there worthwhile.

We hand spun with our cheap plastic spinner. It took all day. 113lbs. Some of those supers where I used the stored frames from the previous harvest had the most honey, but they were also the hardest to harvest. Some of them made multiple trips in the spinner. I just dropped $400 on an electric spinner, hopefully it will be here next week.

People are already clamoring for honey. We'll see how much they clamor at $8 - $10/lb. I've put so much money into this and given away so much honey, I need to make some back this year.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Planning on going and checking the traps this morning and check the level of the box.  Looks like a tree limb fell on it and knocked it off one of its blocks I was using to level it.  Learning why they say to have at least 2 hives.  Would have been nice to steal a frame of brood from a stronger hive to help out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#28]
After about a year of studying and a weekend class at a local shop, my wife and I have our first hive!  We were called by some friends about a swarm.  We understand this is very late season to try to do this, and if it leaves or dies, we just chalk this year up to experience.  We were going to buy the equipment next year anyways.

Cutting the swarm out of the tree was fantastic.  My wife had a suit on, but I just dove in.  Neither of us were stung, nor were we stung on the first inspection yesterday.  They are taking to the new frames nicely, and we have eggs being laid!

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Swarms can happen anytime when it's warm out and the hives are full.

I had one sometime last week, but missed it, as I hadn't had a chance to inspect for the 2 weeks before the 4th. I think it may be trying to cast secondary swarms too, even though there is plenty of room.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I want to build some swarm traps and put them out, probably next year. I have several friends with acreage who may also allow me to start putting hives on their places, too. I just need to finish filling my apiary for the ag valuation first. I may just cut a check and be done with it.

I need 3 more hives to hit the minimum for my acreage. The 5 hives I have are from swarms and cut-outs. I do have a huge cut-out that I need to do, about 25' off the ground at church. That's gonna be a chore. Buying nucs would be so much easier. I have already built all the boxes, but I'll need more frames.

All this is (standard) Langstroth. Then my bee group starts getting on a top-bar kick. We have even had Les Crowder come in for some talks. Then I saw the horizontal hives (horizontal Langstroth?). I really like the idea of those as a combination of top-bar and Langstroth. I could re-use all my deep frames and easily move my existing hives into them. I don't move my bees anywhere, and I have plenty of room on my 10 ac to add as many as I'm willing to work. Plus, a full brood box can be a little on the heavy side. I was on lifting restrictions due to surgery for 2 months this spring. That severely cut down on my inspections. So, yeah, I want to start building more and bigger boxes. My wife is not going to be too happy with that. Maybe if I let her paint them? She's offered in the past.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, long Lang's are easier to use once they're set up, and you don't plan on moving them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Finally able to go check the hive, both beatle traps slam full. 1 frame of brood go ahead and call it 6 frames of honey and pollen.  So my question of the day is what can I do to help them fight the beatles.  Planning on adding a swiffer sheet and moving the hive where it will be out in the open with no shade later this week.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rustyhawk] [#33]
Moving some bees last night.

Checking honey and adding supers.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:59:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fttam] [#34]
My bees have become assholes.

My overwintered hive was kicking ass, and the day before I was going to split them.......they swarmed. Damnit.

Long story short, I picked up a new queen from a local breeder. The hive took to her, she has whipped them into shape and they are chugging. Awesome.

The other day I’m mowing, and I mow past the hive the same way that I have for years with never a problem. This time? BAM. What the hell? BAM BAM. I let go of the mower and take off. BAM BAM BAM. I run 100’. BAM BAM. I run 100yds. BAMBAMBAM.

I ran into the garage, bees inside my shirt, stinging me thru my shirt, stinging myneck and ear and arms.......

Twenty three stings later, I had to finish the back yard in my bee suit and they were still pissed.

Two hours later, weed wacking in a different part of the yard BAM.

But the next day? Docile, totally chill.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Great to see you here!

They will buy it.  If they balk, other people will.  Don't apologize for it, either.  They can't get what you make in the grocery store.

View Quote

This!!!  

Don't discount your honey!   Much much of the grocery store honey is corn syrup adulterated crap from asia!

You have a premium product, locally produced.  Price it accordingly.  Packaging can influence the perceived value quite a bit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sgt_seti:
I want to build some swarm traps and put them out, probably next year. I have several friends with acreage who may also allow me to start putting hives on their places, too. I just need to finish filling my apiary for the ag valuation first. I may just cut a check and be done with it.

I need 3 more hives to hit the minimum for my acreage. The 5 hives I have are from swarms and cut-outs. I do have a huge cut-out that I need to do, about 25' off the ground at church. That's gonna be a chore. Buying nucs would be so much easier. I have already built all the boxes, but I'll need more frames.

All this is (standard) Langstroth. Then my bee group starts getting on a top-bar kick. We have even had Les Crowder come in for some talks. Then I saw the horizontal hives (horizontal Langstroth?). I really like the idea of those as a combination of top-bar and Langstroth. I could re-use all my deep frames and easily move my existing hives into them. I don't move my bees anywhere, and I have plenty of room on my 10 ac to add as many as I'm willing to work. Plus, a full brood box can be a little on the heavy side. I was on lifting restrictions due to surgery for 2 months this spring. That severely cut down on my inspections. So, yeah, I want to start building more and bigger boxes. My wife is not going to be too happy with that. Maybe if I let her paint them? She's offered in the past.
View Quote

I have experimented a bit with horizontal langstroth hives. I find that they restrict the size of a brood nest compared to double deeps.

They require more manipulation to keep the sides of the brood nest open.

I find I can reduce lifting effort by taking extra deep boxes to the apiary, pulling 4 or 5 frames as I am doing an inspection, and not lifting full boxes.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#41]

You really need to do a post about that...a complete...who what where when and why about long Langs.

I would encourage you to do a thread, but I think your information will be longer-lived if it's here in the thread.
View Quote

You can find some info at horizontalhive.com (Dr. Leo's website, he's an advocate for them) including plans, and info on other equipment. I'm also on a long langstroth group on FB that is international.

Most people are modifying the basic long lang plans so they can put cover boards over the frames (planks, not framed plywood like verticals).

Some make them fancy, with built in frame hangers in the roof when it's open, some have gone with a barn exterior, including the rounded roof.

I do disagree about them limiting brood. I've not seen that issue, as we're talking like 30 or more deep frames. The queen prefers to lay near the entrance, but there is plenty of room for expansion.

My future long Lang's will have the length to put 3 honey supers on top of needed, which can make for a complicated roof arrangement. I don't think they will, but others have used them like that.

Dr. Leo also came out with plans for a double deep hive. Getting at the lower row of frames is kinda complicated, but I haven't been interested in going that route.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 1:44:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runs_with_scissors] [#42]

You are having a hard first year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By runs_with_scissors:
Planning on going and checking the traps this morning and check the level of the box.  Looks like a tree limb fell on it and knocked it off one of its blocks I was using to level it.  Learning why they say to have at least 2 hives.  Would have been nice to steal a frame of brood from a stronger hive to help out.

You are having a hard first year.

Wouldn't call it a hard year.  More of a year of learning.  Already trying to get things set up for 3 more hives next season.  My main focus is getting them ready for winter.  Not going to give up on them since you never know what kind of winter we will have.  Might have some cold snaps then it might stay warm all the way through
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#45]

So what is the thought about Long Langs being better than regular Langstroth hives?

Why would a new beekeeper choose one over the other?

View Quote

Number one is no lifting heavy boxes.
That's a great thing during inspections on a hot day.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Pulled 21 frames of honey from 2 hives today. Goldenrod hasn't even started to bud yet.

2 of the remaining 4, maybe 3 of the 4, may not produce surplus honey this year. One hive seems to have a lazy queen who STILL hasn't moved out of the bottom box.
I think I'm going to have to pinch her.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Has anyone used one of the flow hives?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#48]
One note to mention if you are looking into Top bar/horizontal hives check with your local County Extension Office first there may be laws restricting their use. In LA you cannot use them.

Bee Source Forum Laws by State
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By fas2c:
One note to mention if you are looking into Top bar/horizontal hives check with your local County Extension Office first there may be laws restricting their use. In LA you cannot use them.

Bee Source Forum Laws by State
View Quote

That law needs to be amended. Top Bar and long Lang’s/ Horizontal Hives all have removable frames which is required by law to conduct inspections.
Skeps or log hives I can see being restricted as there is no way to inspect the comb for brood diseases such as EFB/ AFB.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#50]

@Blackwind
Post your progress here!

We will be glad to help, and glad to have updates on how you're doing.

Do you have plans for Langstroth hives, or some other type?

Do you need help with any of it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
I plan on building bee hives for next year. Have been putting it off for a long time.

@Blackwind
Post your progress here!

We will be glad to help, and glad to have updates on how you're doing.

Do you have plans for Langstroth hives, or some other type?

Do you need help with any of it?

Sooooo I have kept following this thread but my bee plans went to shite with divorce etc. Fast forward to now and ready to attempt to get this off the ground...again. A friend in Texas posted about his honey collection and I am green with envy. My plan was to utilize a Flow Hive 2. My buddy uses those and can't stop raving about them. I WILL need help so ......
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top