BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, when you're the only guy around, you gotta step up, right?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In other news: ..... and the turkey doesn’t like it when we pick up the hens. He displays rooster-like behavior.

Well, when you're the only guy around, you gotta step up, right?

We have two roosters, one who does his job quite well, and one that is as dumb as a box of hammers and runs from his own shadow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He's an artist.

He probably voted left.  

Don't be a hater.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have two roosters, one who does his job quite well, and one that is as dumb as a box of hammers and runs from his own shadow.

He's an artist.

He probably voted left.  

Don't be a hater.

He’s half chicken and half turkey so I blame that. He’s not even pretty to look at.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have decent hole saws.  Not sure I have one large enough for the big pipe you are using.

And is that thin-wall pipe?  

Clearly it does not need to be schedule 40 for chickens to eat, but the measurements are different so thought i would ask.

Someday, post the little one for the chicks???

This is good stuff.

View Quote

@Kitties-with-Sigs

I think it was called street elbow. Just whatever was as Home Depot. Here is the chicks one. This was the first i ever built when they were putting more food on the floor than in their stomachs. I didn’t think it was flowing right and you can see in photo where I dremeled or cut out parts of the pvc elbows but I don’t think it was necessary probably.

I transition them from your standard “chick feeder” after several days, then from this size to another at about 1 month of age and by 2 months they are in the big one I picture above. The 1 month is just a little smaller size pipe in the same kind of cat food container, by the time 6-9 chicks empty that amount of food it’s time to get to the one they’ll use for the rest of their lives.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my partner’s kids didn’t lock the chickens up last night and a possum had a hen for his supper. We have talked to him time and time again that he needs to do right or bad things will happen. Maybe the death of two animals will be a wake up call for him as he is a tender soul. It still chaps my ass though since it was entirely preventable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Hello my fellow Arfcom chicken enthusiasts. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? My lone Silver Laced Wyandotte keeps getting her feathers plucked off her rear end. I believe it’s probably the rooster doing this. What’s the fix?  

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Get some Blu-Kote and spray that area down. The feathers will grow back and the other birds will leave her alone.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get some Blu-Kote and spray that area down. The feathers will grow back and the other birds will leave her alone.
View Quote

Whenever hens see red (other than the combs & wattles) they peck at it. On my last coop we had 2 hens; the smaller got bullied by the larger when her cloaca got bloody after her first 2 eggs. We separated them, gave the sick one a sitz bath and let her heal for a couple of days. The reunion was heartwarming: the bigger one missed her terribly!

On that note: we had to separate two of our 6 hens for a few days for (apparent) frostbite on one's comb. (The second one was to keep her company.) They ALL stopped laying! Seems that they were missing their sisters! We restored the two hens 2 days ago and today, they started laying again!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, I picked some up today. I’ll check back in with results.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve been unhappy with the fact that my
cream Legbars eggs aren’t very blue, for the amount I  paid for them vs an Easter Egger, but can’t deny the productivity I’ve been getting... they make up 33% of flock only (only ones laying blue / green eggs)...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can see the blue cast.

Pretty eggs.

They won't every look like true colored Easter eggs, as far as I've seen.  

Just a faint green and/or blue tint.

View Quote

Yup, those eggs look just like the ones my Ameraucana’s lay.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can see the blue cast.

Pretty eggs.

They won't every look like true colored Easter eggs, as far as I've seen.  

Just a faint green and/or blue tint.

View Quote

Yeah one of them is giving legit blue eggs. The other two are same color as the EE which cost 1/7th as much.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The chicks are getting their feathers in. They sure are a feisty bunch.

Attachment Attached File

Here is their brooder.

Attachment Attached File

We are going to incubate another 14 eggs starting on the 1st, but they’ll be from our chickens this time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nice setup!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The chicks are getting their feathers in. They sure are a feisty bunch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279617/37562935-DC4A-482E-80F7-5DE70FB775DA_jpe-1779228.JPG

Here is their brooder.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279617/321005EE-2E9A-4A18-84CB-4551C82AA465_jpe-1779230.JPG

We are going to incubate another 14 eggs starting on the 1st, but they’ll be from our chickens this time.

Nice setup!!!

Thanks. I need to get more of those greenhouses so I can start my seeds.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Lighting.

Is there any study or evidence that chickens don't thrive under LED lighting? Ours have gradually slowed their laying since we lit their coop with a white LED light; we are getting 1 egg per day now.

We DID have an incident where we separated 2 birds from the rest of the flock but it's been well over a week since they were reunited with their flock.

I'm feeding them a combination of seed, pellets, bugs & mealworms and oyster shell, plus they have a container of grit to eat if they want it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lighting.

Is there any study or evidence that chickens don't thrive under LED lighting? Ours have gradually slowed their laying since we lit their coop with a white LED light; we are getting 1 egg per day now.

We DID have an incident where we separated 2 birds from the rest of the flock but it's been well over a week since they were reunited with their flock.

I'm feeding them a combination of seed, pellets, bugs & mealworms and oyster shell, plus they have a container of grit to eat if they want it.
View Quote

I'm not sure.  We operate under the philosophy of no additional winter lighting to keep normal production longer and just have more birds  to make up for the drop off.

ETA: One egg per day total?  How many hens?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lighting.

View Quote

There is no evidence I am aware of that supplemental lighting of any sort hurts the birds in the long term.

As for myself, I don't use lighting for the reason that it does interfere with their molt cycles. It may not hurt them to have abnormal molts (I would think they would just adjust to a constant amount of light and set a new molt-cycle not based on length of days like chickens in the tropics do). As my goal with my chickens is for them to be a self sufficient as possible and to know the birds' quirks so that I can deal with them in a long term homesteading/survival situation, I just let their cycles happen as normal. It seems like the best guard against not having eggs most of the year is a variety of breeds. It is definitely so that some breeds lay during periods of the season that others don't. Only right now int the height of winter do they all shut down for a short period.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lighting.

View Quote
I think you can mess with thier natural cycles to much, artificial light, heat ect. I'm averaging two to three eggs a day from four hens in during the shortest days of ther year and a northern winter. One hen had a pretty thoruogh molt and hasnt laid for weeks, the others are averaging five eggs a week. They only get layer feed oyster shell and free range.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm not sure.  We operate under the philosophy of no additional winter lighting to keep normal production longer and just have more birds  to make up for the drop off.

View Quote

Six hens, all were laying before the winter weather set in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they aren't fans of the cold? Our hens don't seem to mind what we consider cold.  Its been 20-21 and frosty and one of the hens has started sleeping outside with the turkey and she doesn't seem to mind.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#27]
It's really easy to get him to fan out now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Maybe they aren't fans of the cold? Our hens don't seem to mind what we consider cold.  Its been 20-21 and frosty and one of the hens has started sleeping outside with the turkey and she doesn't seem to mind.
View Quote

Ours spend  the night roosting outside the penthouse, huddled together. Temps down to 20s.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I am no fan of most social media, especially of late, but my wife has kept facebook for several years to keep in touch with extended family.
One of the useful things she does with it is to follow chicken groups.
Sure there is some stupid stuff there, but not as much as you might expect.
If all of a sudden our hens aren't laying, she will look at her chicken groups and see that the preponderance of folks on there are having the same thing.
It is a great resource for folks like us that don't know 50 people who raise chickens that we can ask if they are having the same issues as us.
She has also learned a great deal from folks posting illnesses and the like and can recognize most chicken illness on sight.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ours spend  the night roosting outside the penthouse, huddled together. Temps down to 20s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When it gets cold at night we lock them in their coop.  Hopefully your birds will start laying again as spring gets closer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’ve been unhappy with the fact that my
cream Legbars eggs aren’t very blue, for the amount I  paid for them vs an Easter Egger, but can’t deny the productivity I’ve been getting... they make up 33% of flock only (only ones laying blue / green eggs)...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/418755/81D9382D-597D-4DF6-BE18-D546211E67B8_jpe-1773485.JPG
View Quote

I’ve found most cream legbar sellers are very skilled at photoshop when it comes to egg color. There’s some farms out on the West Coast that have truly blue sapphire eggs, but you’re going to pay a fortune
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Outgrew my little coop I've had for a few years. City says we can have 4 hens, I have 16 Ordered one of the Amish built EZ Coops to replace my current coop. With the price of wood and my time, I'm not saving any money but not really costing myself any more.

Trying to decide if I'm buying a milk goat as a giant FU to the city or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Outgrew my little coop I've had for a few years. City says we can have 4 hens, I have 16 Ordered one of the Amish built EZ Coops to replace my current coop. With the price of wood and my time, I'm not saving any money but not really costing myself any more.

Trying to decide if I'm buying a milk goat as a giant FU to the city or not.
View Quote

Ask my wife about goats! When she gets off the floor and starts breathing again (after laughing herself into a fit), she'll advise  you to get a milk ewe (sheep).
Goats are BASTARDS to deal with. Sheep are, well, more sheepish...docile. Wife got her shoulder ruined when one of her sheep dragged her around the paddock; she got the leash wrapped around her wrist and couldn't get it loose.

She used to keep goats, so she knows a bit about them. One more consideration is the building of fences and pens. Goats are nimble, so they'll climb on top of a fence and walk a tightrope on the top of it, then they will jump down on your neighbor's cars and ruin the finish. They will also work diligently to destroy any pen or fence you put them in! Sheep are far less likely to do any of the above.

And, sheep or goat, GOD HELP YOU if you get a male. They are called a "RAM" for a very good reason!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I am going to post my chicken operation.  At some point I will post a showcase of my entire operation (cattle, peaches, blackberry all the things, garden fresh produce, pickled okra, and eggs), but for now it's chickens.

We got into the chicken game with little knowledge of chickens about a year ago.  I built a 98'x98' garden/chicken run that is split down the middle.  I was going to rotate chickens and garden, but I soon realized that I needed to be able to rotate the chickens more often than the garden so I am expanding.  This is a picture of the two chicken runs, each 98'x49', and the 98'x50' expansion going in to the right.  It will be the permanent garden.  The fence is 6' tall welded wire to keep the deer out.  Dogs do that anyway.  We have a net that we use sometimes to keep the birds of prey out but it hangs low.  I need to put something in to hold it high.

Attachment Attached File

While sitting around with the neighbors after making sausage I learned that a neice of theirs had a coop that they needed to get rid of.  I checked out the coop and really liked it.  She asked if I wanted to give $300 for it and that was actually exactly what I had in mind.  I hit the lottery on this thing.  It is perfect.  It is about 10' x 4' or so with three doors, 16 boxes, and some roosting bars.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm going to put molasses tubs under it to catch poop for composting and then fertilizing.  They to go under for shade though.  This rabbit fence catches a lot of poop so I rake it out into tubs.

This is an adorestore automatic door.  It is GREAT.  Fortunately the coop builder made all doors the same size.  I made a frame out of 2x2s for the door and I can move it from the east run to the west run in a few minutes.

Attachment Attached File

In the spring before we bought pullets we planted German millet.  With a little water it flourished.  For $19 I grew a bunch of feed.  I did have a bunch of weeds though.  I'll have to work on that.  I spread it with a simple hand spreader and then dragged it with a 6' rake behind a BX2350.

Attachment Attached File

It won't let me upload any more pictures.  Stand by.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I moved the chickens in here and they also got shade because the plants were tall.

Moving into the cool season I planted cereal rye on the side that used to have the garden.  When it was sufficiently lush I moved the chickens and the door to that side.  Then we raked and burned the residue from the east run, then smoothed it, threw more cereal rye with a push spreader, and raked it in with the Kubota.  I would like it to be thicker.  I'm not sure why it runs in rows.  Hopefully the east run looks better.

West run with the first of two rye plantings.
Attachment Attached File

East run.  I wish I would have gotten a before picture.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#37]
This is the flock.  We bought 20 originals that were mostly pullets. We ended up slaughtering 4-5 roosters.  Then we bought 10 laying hens (all of these are Ameraucana ).  Later we bought 10 more laying hens of a different breed.  We have lost a few young pullets to birds, one got caught in the net, one died in the coop for unknown reasons, and one got killed by my dogs while they were free ranging.  I thought they would respect my 8 year old, and maybe they did until two hens basically walked 150' away from the run for the first time (normally not more than 10') and right to my dogs.  Bitch couldn't control herself and the aussie that normally shows no interest because he knows no better joined in the fun.  Both beaten with a belt and then a dead chicken.

We have 30 right now and we get between 12 and 15 eggs per day which we sell primarily to friends and family.  We only ask for $3/dz which is not enough but I don't know any suckers than want to pay $4/dz.  My MIL was selling a bunch for that.  I work with engineers and technicians.  They will not spend even $3/dz.  Another problem is these young chickens lay small eggs.  When they are larger I may try for $5/18.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#38]
On to the economics.

Like I said, we got into this game in 2020 with young chickens so our revenue was not that high.

Chicken Run: $2,339.61
  • Pipe for fence bracing
  • 8' t posts
  • 500' of 72" welded wire
  • cement
  • Coop
  • Two 8' gates
  • Net
  • Automatic chicken door
  • some 4x4s for fence bracing around the coop
Chickens: $370
  • $160 for 20 chicks (not like little tiny newborn ones.  these were self-sufficient) - Wife's friend
  • $150 for 10 laying hens - Wife's friend
  • $60 for 10 laying hens - Craigslist

Various waterers, feeders, hay, etc.  $177.12
Pass through egg purchases from MIL: $33
Seed: $43
Feed: $313.06

Total: $3,328.60

Only the last two categories will continue into this year.  I will be depreciating the entire run over 7 years.  

Revenue: $367.50 (First eggs sold in August so this is 5 months of revenue.  Many birds were still young and not laying until November or so)

So far this year we have used roughly $45 of feed accounted for in the total above because it was purchased just before the end of the year.  I expect I am feeding more right now because it is winter.  When they are on the rye they don't eat as much feed, and through the spring and summer it should be even better.

Revenue so far for this month is $69 over 20 days.  Bearing in mind that egg production will increase with the length of the day, and assuming no major chicken massacres, I'm hoping for an average of 20 eggs/day over the year.  That is about 600 dozen or $1,800 at the current rate.  I've got to keep my feed costs down.  It's harder to estimate the feed costs.  We bought the first birds in May, and this is what our feed costs look like over the rest of the year.  Clearly I spend much more for feed in the winter.  This is the ugliest bar chart ever created.  It's Excel 2007...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

New coop is up. It went together fairly easily. Good quality for a production line coop.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#40]
If I haven't said elsewhere, I sell my hatching eggs for $40 a half dozen and I make way more than my chickens cost. Around 60 head of free rangers eat around 3.8lbs of food a day right now in the height of winter, for a total monthly cost of around $32 (1/3 laying crumbles, 1/3 cracked corn, and 1/3 sweet feed). I believe that in the summer I can cut that ration in half.

Mild climate, rare breed with strong survival instincts and in high demand, large farm area with rich habitat for natural chicken food. That's how you make chickens self-sustaining and profitable at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I am going to post my chicken operation.  At some point I will post a showcase of my entire operation (cattle, peaches, blackberry all the things, garden fresh produce, pickled okra, and eggs), but for now it's chickens.

SNIP

It won't let me upload any more pictures.  Stand by.

View Quote

I've used ADOR for years.  I love it.  I mount mine on the inside and have an overhang to keep it from freezing.  The battery has been lasting a few years.     I have a remote light sensor and button as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/210946/8F076FBD-7896-4724-BB95-F992C912E9E9_jpe-1792969.JPG

New coop is up. It went together fairly easily. Good quality for a production line coop.
View Quote

Looks good! It looks similar to mine that I had custom made by the Amish.

I wish I would have specified the nesting box size as they made it too small. Chickens wouldn’t go in there so they were laying in the corners. I constructed (2) 12”x12” boxes and that fixed the problem.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#43]
How much were those coops if you don’t mind me asking?  We need another one, but with lumber prices being stupid high right now it may be easier and make more sense cost-wise to buy a kit an assemble it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I paid $900 for mine.

Then I added one of these automatic doors which has been awesome. I upgraded to the 5w solar panel, it was around $275 total.

https://chickendoors.com/product/left-side-standard-pullet-shut-door/
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Paid $1400 shipped for mine. For me it was a time issue more than anything been working 6 days a week at work and needed something now rather than later.

Starting my rabbit hutch this week and already preordered my bees for our house hive.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How much were those coops if you don't mind me asking?  We need another one, but with lumber prices being stupid high right now it may be easier and make more sense cost-wise to buy a kit an assemble it.
View Quote

I have built two of these tractors, but you're right about lumber prices: using pressure-treated pine, the second one this fall cost twice what the first one did--it was around $250 in materials alone--plus the time to put it all together.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have built two of these tractors, but you're right about lumber prices: using pressure-treated pine, the second one this fall cost twice what the first one did--it was around $250 in materials alone--plus the time to put it all together.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/141220/tractor_complete-1796691.jpg

View Quote

Find a commercial glass shop. They constantly get glass delivered in giant crates. I pick up about 10 a month from my local shop for free. I then pull them apart and use the lumber for homestead projects where certified lumber isnt needed.

Saving me hundreds right now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Find a commercial glass shop. They constantly get glass delivered in giant crates. I pick up about 10 a month from my local shop for free. I then pull them apart and use the lumber for homestead projects where certified lumber isnt needed.

Saving me hundreds right now.
View Quote

That's a good point-I had a replacement window that showed up in a wood frame once. Some of the 1x6s and 2x4s couldn't be salvaged, but I had enough from it to build a collection box to mount my corn sheller on.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Here is an update on the cereal rye.  Need more rain.  I have to water it periodically.

January 17
Attachment Attached File

February 2
Attachment Attached File

Existing run still doing great.  It would have been better if I could have held them in the east run until this rye went to seed.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top