BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will y'all talk about this barley thing?

I could divide my small chicken yard and maybe do that.  Certain kind?  Any advice?

I love the idea of the green for them.  NOTHING can outgrow the chickens I've had in the past, but maybe with fewer....
View Quote
I only have a few hens and only one area to confine them so I can't grow anything inside the run but I supplement their food/scratch with some fresh greens in the winter time which they love.

Below is my setup.  I grow the barley fodder in the small plastic containers, 1 per day of the week.  It takes the barley 7 days to get to the green stage seen on the middle left end of the shelf.  This way they get some fresh greens over the colder months when the pickings are slim in the yard or there is snow on the ground.  You soak the seed overnight (bottom right container)  Each day I spray them with water (with a tiny bit of bleach in it to kill baddies) to keep everything moist.  Each day I take the "finished" tray out to the hens and move the other trays one place further along.  Grown like this the barley fodder creates a small mat, like a piece of turf, so it pops out easy and stays together for the birds to eat.  Rinse the container and start the process over.  It takes a minute or two each day.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,

Sounds like to do it right, treat them as they deserve, will take more time and attention I can provide.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Had sort of a milestone today.

We got a second egg, late in the day.

Our little girls are all growed up!

HobbitWife is so happy, you'd think she invented them!

A question for you all: How do you keep their water from freezing up? We have a one-gallon waterer for them; wife wants to put some kind of $20 heater under the waterer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking of getting a short gun safe Goldenrod heater; put it under a pie pan and put the waterer on top of that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You will be heating the entire world with a heater meant for a contained space, and definitely not designed for that application.  I doubt that will work, but would love to find out I'm wrong.
View Quote
[grumble] I should never have shown that thing to her![/grumble]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ignorant 1st question about chickens.....

I have land an hour away.... currently 170 acres [thinking of buying adjacent land later], 11x acres wooded...

can and do get up there 4x of the 52 weekends and often during the week....

but it is best described as a weekend place....

Could I run chickens up there with, basically, weekend attention?

Love the thought of organic meat.... [ would love to run a few beef as well ]

can I have chickens under this fact pattern?

Thanks
View Quote
Yes and no. In theory you could set up a Premier1 Electronet with a solar charger to keep them "contained". I'd build a mobile coop, but keep in mind during the summer and dead of winter you're going to lose eggs to spoilage and freezing.

If you go this route id go with a heavy breed and trim their flight feathers, also a rooster and a guard goose would help keep smaller predators away.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No.  Don't do it.

Beef...yes, you could probably do that, though I don't consider it particularly good practice, but beef cows are a lot less vulnerable than are chickens.

With chickens, you are basically setting up a bait tray for predators, in an artificial situation with birds not equipped to survive on their own, and with no support when they have trouble.

And they WILL have trouble.

Chickens are prey.

There are predators waiting for you to throw prey at them.

Don't do it.

Buy your chicken at the grocery store.

It is far less cruel, and far less frustrating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ignorant 1st question about chickens.....

I have land an hour away.... currently 170 acres [thinking of buying adjacent land later], 11x acres wooded...

can and do get up there 4x of the 52 weekends and often during the week....

but it is best described as a weekend place....

Could I run chickens up there with, basically, weekend attention?

Love the thought of organic meat.... [ would love to run a few beef as well ]

can I have chickens under this fact pattern?

Thanks
No.  Don't do it.

Beef...yes, you could probably do that, though I don't consider it particularly good practice, but beef cows are a lot less vulnerable than are chickens.

With chickens, you are basically setting up a bait tray for predators, in an artificial situation with birds not equipped to survive on their own, and with no support when they have trouble.

And they WILL have trouble.

Chickens are prey.

There are predators waiting for you to throw prey at them.

Don't do it.

Buy your chicken at the grocery store.

It is far less cruel, and far less frustrating.
Agree.  If you can't tend to them every day or at least every other day then don't even bother.

Ours will go three maybe four nights when we go on a vacation or camping but that includes the use of a kiddy pool for their water.  They also stay locked up in their coop/ run when we do this.  Any more than 3 nights home alone and we have someone come check on them, collect the eggs, give them more food etc.  That only occurs a few times a year when we are away.  Things would go really bad if you only tended to them on the weekends.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
The second post says to use a chicken tractor. Our yard is constantly beset with nasty stickers and the plants that grow them:

sand grass

and goat head stickers

If we positioned the coop over these plants, would it be safe for the chickens to eat? I'm guessing that they would not thrive but I've seen them eat stickers before.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The second post says to use a chicken tractor. Our yard is constantly beset with nasty stickers and the plants that grow them:

sand grass

https://neilsperry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Grass-burs.jpg

and goat head stickers

https://media.buzzle.com/media/images-en/photos/botany/1200-34033044-goathead-weed.jpg

If we positioned the coop over these plants, would it be safe for the chickens to eat? I'm guessing that they would not thrive but I've seen them eat stickers before.
View Quote
We keep our chickens far away from goat heads, I don't think they will eat them but we have never let them try. I used a weed torch and a whole lot of propane to get rid of them in our backyard.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#18]
We have a sick chicken.
Lucy is the smaller of our 2 chickens (both Barred Rocks). Yesterday we saw blood on an egg and today, the other chicken seems to have been plucking her ventral feathers. She seemed to have a somewhat prolapsed cloaca.
We gave her a sitz bath for about 2 minutes, then applied Preparation H to the cloaca. Shes resting now, inside, and away from the other chicken.
She ate a few meal worms but has not eaten any of her regular feed. She's also drinking water, to which we've added Save-a-Chick electrolyte. Right now she's not very active at all, not making chicken noises. Wife says she seems to be puffed up a little.
We got these responses from BackyardChicken.com
Has anyone else encountered this situation? Any suggestions?

eta They were vaccinated against coccidiosis while they were chicks.

eta2 This from an  online source:

Outward signs of coccidiosis in chickens include droopiness and listlessness, loss of appetite, loss of yellow color in shanks, pale combs and wattles,
ruffled, unthrifty feathers, huddling or acting chilled, blood or mucus in the feces, diarrhea, dehydration, and even death. Other signs include poor feed digestion, poor weight gain, and poor feed efficiency. Some symptoms can be confused with other diseases. For example, necrotic enteritis is a gut disease that also causes bloody diarrhea.

The symptoms she does NOT have have been lined out. She IS smaller than her sister-both were bought at the same time from the same store, indicating possibly poor weight gain. No
blood in her stools. Her feathers seem to be normal except around her cloaca.
Wife is now concerned that she's laying bigger eggs than she's ready for; we just started getting 2 eggs a day from our mini-flock about 3 days ago. Prior to that we got 1 egg per day, and they were always on different sides of the nesting area, indicating that the chickens were laying on alternate days.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#19]
The patient is resting comfortably now. The butt cloaca medicine (Preparation H) seems to be working, she's not inflamed and the blood seems to be drying on it.
We've covered her cage to keep light out so she won't be stimulated to lay eggs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay, it's 9:23 the next day, she's apparently straining to lay an egg. How long does she have to go through this? I guess I just thought they sort of popped out, but she's grunting and straining.

eta She started grunting about 9:15.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#21]
9:45 the egg is out, with blood on it. There's a spot of blood on the ground where she was.
How long does she go through this, until she's no longer bleeding? Wife is worried, this is her favorite chicken.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Lucy (the hen) has just had her sitz bath and Preparation H again. I had to help.

Maybe no one is answering these posts because they don't care... or maybe you are rolling on the ground, laughing.

I feel so used.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@FrankSymptoms
Weekend before Thanksgiving, and I'm guessing folks are running crazy. I just got on the forum and have been really scarce myself.  Just checking for issues and trying to fulfill the minimum mod responsibilities, at which I've failed pretty miserably since family issues hit last winter.  Also guessing not many people have dealt with this sort of issue.

I think she has torn herself laying large eggs, and I don't know how to help much.  You CAN lube her up, even reaching in with a finger to lube up the end of the egg, but I've never done that, only read about it.

I don't think your hen has a disease.  I think she's just too small for the eggs she's laying.  The dark thing...to slow down egg production...is a good thing, but it's not an instant fix of course.  Her system will respond slowly, and you want a quicker fix, as would I, if my chicken was in trouble.

Have you read "raising poultry the modern way?"What I have learned about difficult chicken issues like this, came from that book.  It's worth a read, and very practical.

The good news is, your young hen is not egg bound.

One question:  What have you been feeding them?  Any kind of ramped-up diet? If so, I'd back that off for certain.  Normally her body will eventually adjust, but at the moment, she's obviously uncomfortable and though I have seen blood on eggs regularly and not worried about it, it has not been a lot of blood, it went away after a few days, and I have not seen long-term effects for the hen from this.

Please keep the reports coming.  I have heard of people taking a syringe (with no needle of course) and injecting particular lubricants into the oviduct via the vent.  But I don't remember what the lube was, and the production end of a chicken is not the easiest thing to navigate without harming the hen.  Just sayin.

Just how bad IS the prolapse?
View Quote
Thanks for responding! I was trying to inject a little humor here with my earlier remark. Sorry you're having family issues- BTDT.

The prolapse wasn't that bad IMO, not as bad as any of the pics I've seen on the internet. Wife says it was about like this one at 6:10 or so.
We gave her a sitz bath and put some Preparation H on her bum, and she seems to be OK now-- except when she tries to lay an egg like this morning.
Its nice to know my wife isn't overreacting in this.
I too think she'll adjust. We will keep her separated from her coop mate (Ethyl) till the bleeding stops, as chickens tend to attack anything that looks red.
Food: Regular chicken food, with some grit and some oyster shell. Wife likes to give them some meal worm treats too, but it's not the major part of their diet.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're certainly not doing anything wrong.  Are you treating same as that video for the prolapse?
View Quote
Essentially the same. Sitz bath and some lotion. We got some antibiotic and ground it up into her drinking water, also put some minerals into her water. She's LOTS  more comfortable than she was yesterday. She sits and lies down easier and she's more active and "chatty."
She's got the cats scared silly!

eta We're keeping her separated from her sister Ethel, who pokes at Lucys wounds.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Frank,
We have owned chickens now for 17 months and learn something new about them every few days.  
We have run into a couple of things where there wasn't any info on the internet or anywhere else that we could find.
Twice we have had issues that just took time to solve themselves since we couldn't find any way to help.
Someday we will know it all, but be too old to own chickens anymore!
Anyway, I am sure there are several of us that read your problem, but didn't know how to help and didn't want to "muddy the water".
Good luck my friend!

James
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@Franksymptoms

When you say "regular chicken food" what do you mean?

Scratch? Laying mash?

Or what?
View Quote
Wife says it's "Organic Layer Feed." Lots of protein in it.
She's also been feeding them lots of 'treats:' suet, mealy worms.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Someday we will know it all, but be too old to own chickens anymore!
View Quote
That's called "Life!"
That's also why this forum is so valuable: No one can survive making all the mistakes in this life, so we try to learn from those of others.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, we've rejoined the two chickens. Ethel, the one left outside, acted overjoyed to see her sister.
Lucy seems to be healed and we think she'll get over her small cloaca.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Basically we did what the video above showed us: give her a sitz bath, doctored her cloaca with Preparation H, and dried her as best we could. We separated them for about 4-5 days. We'd take Lucy (the patient) out and leave her in the pen with Ethel to reduce stress of separation, always leaving her in her cage to protect her from Ethel*.
A few days ago we checked Lucy for bleeding, and she seemed to be healed. So we have re-introduced her into the chicken coop and are keeping an eye on her. We check her every morning, and also check to see if there are any bloody eggs.

*The experienced chicken keepers know this but if anyone reading this doesn't: Chickens seem to be  predisposed to peck at a wounded bird. Anything that is red looks like blood, so they'll peck at it. HobbitWife says that this is to eliminate a sick bird from the flock. We had this problem a couple of months ago, when Lucy had a wound on her beak. She got better with treatment after 2-3 days.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#35]
We kept Lucy in a cat cage about 2' square by 18" high. We kept her just inside the back door. Each of our 3 cats met her and it was hilarious! If the cats got too close to the cage, Lucy would fluff up, spread her wings and make a loud CAWWW noise. The cats were terrified of her!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#36]
birds are outside together in the chicken yard. Now, they are making lots of noise! They've started standing atop the coop and seemingly squawking in counterpoint.
Any idea why they do this? We're gonna go outside and check for eggs in a half hour or so, but is that normal "Oi, I'm layin' a egg, matey!" behavior?

Wife is afraid the neighbors will object.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:50:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#38]
It can also NOT mean that, but it's important to note that chickens make a lot of noise when there is an intruder.
View Quote
Thanks! Yeah, that was our first thought. We have all kinds of intruders here, cats, raccoons, dogs, hawks, crows, skunks, ravens... all the stuff that goes with a desert-near-the-river environment. As far as we can tell, they just wanted to make some noise. And they weren't panicked, just noisy.

We're still getting only one egg per day, from Ethel, the largest chicken.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You need two more hens.  Four or five is about right for folks who eat eggs regularly, and when the inevitable loss comes, it is a little easier (I don't mean that to sound crass, but it just is, in my experience, even when they're all pets.)  AND the loss doesn't decimate your egg supply.
View Quote
That changed almost the day after I posted it. We're getting 2 eggs per day now, one light brown, the other almost beige. And no one is bleeding now!

BTW now that winter is here, I've found a neat little contraption. It looks like an electric plug splitter but it's a temperature-controlled splitter; it turns on at 35 Degrees F. and turns off at 45 Degrees. I have it on my chicken water heater. The heater itself only uses about 12 watts so it doesn't really "heat up" the water but keeps it from freezing. On Amazon, about $10.

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Chickens ARE warmer than humans! (105 to 113 F, according to Google.)
It's 11F outside... inside the coop it's 58! I put a blanket over it and covered that with a tarp; between the two hot-blooded chickens and their water warmer, it's plenty warm in there!

I haven't heard any complaints from them but the morning temps are going down with the blizzard we had recently. 2"-3" of snow on the ground.

We put a dog waterer in the coop and set the water atop that; seems to keep things warm enough.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#42]
The girls' laying has decreased, I get one egg every day, from a different chicken (their eggs are color coded). The temps have plunged, into single digits, although (as noted above) their body temps are high.
Is this normal? They will be a year old sometime around Easter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#43]
It is normal.  And it depends.  Some chickens lay about 6 days a week and rarely stop.  Some stop for awhile because the wind blew too hard that day.  Molting, stress, food changes, broodiness and time of year all figure into that.   We have about 40 hens now of laying age.  Back in the early fall we were getting about 30 eggs some days. These winter days it is down to 6 - 12.
The reduced amount of sunlight in winter really effects laying.   About 10 of our hens are in a building that we turn the lights on and off in.  They get at least 12-14 hours of light a day and still some days we don't get but 1 or 2 eggs out of them.
Now all that being said, hens occasionally can get egg bound or have an internal problem.  But most probably not.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Now we're getting one egg one day, 2 eggs the next. I think they are just relaxing a bit. The temps have been down into the single digits for the last week and I insulated the coop a bit with an old blanket on top, and a 1" layer of styrofoam insulation on the bottom of the  "penthouse" of their coop. It's warmer now at night.

I also have a dog heater dish thingy that keeps their water supply warm enough to not freeze.

IT's sort of funny how they flew/climbed to the top of their coop as I installed the styrofoam, like they were supervising.

UPDATE: They totally eliminated the styrofoam at the bottom of their 'penthouse!' They pecked at it till it dropped and then just tore it up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#46]
If anybody in VA needs or wants a rooster I have a lavender Orpington cockerel with some buff bleed through that needs a home or he’s going in the stockpot in 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, you gave them a toy, yaknow?

It's a shame animals don't think ahead to "I'll wish I had this when it's cold later."
View Quote
Next time I'll simply put a sheet of plywood or door skin on the bottom side.

As it was, I had to vacuum a million little styrofoam dots off the dirt floor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#49]
This winter has been very cold for us, and our chickens are pretty well snowed in.  I think we are down to 15 now, lost a couple this fall from racoon attacks.

We have been running a low wattage red light bulb in our coop this winter, leaving it on 247 to help keep the coop at a reasonable temp.

Other than that they don't come out very often in this weather, we must have 3+ feet of snow around our coop.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#50]
One of my hens has a sort of strange-looking condition with her feathers. Just at the base of the tail, they look kind of "furred," sort of downy-looking. Any idea what this could be?

I doubt that the other hen is pecking her as she is the "alpha" chicken, and noticably larger.

eta
Here's a pic of her tailfeathers:

Attachment Attached File
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top