Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/18/2019 6:03:15 PM EDT
Been a little inspired by the My Self-Reliance videos from the canadian dude. Where would I go about aquiring a couple of acres to do such a thing and build myself a little retreat? I'm in the pocono mountains so it's all tourist land. Looking at out West in the PA Wilds but is it just about offering money for a few acres or is there a specific avenue I should take?
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:29:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 7:53:19 AM EDT
Here is a link to a blog where a guy built a A-Frame Cabin off grid in central Kentucky.
https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9259.0

Lots of information and photos.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:19:43 AM EDT
Start looking at Landwatch. It has been a favorite for me. I am looking to move in the next 2 years. I found a piece in Tennessee that is in the middle of a state forest and about 2 miles off the road. It was not too out of hand. Included a pond and a large shop. You have to dig a little and be a little vague searching and read a lot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:14:20 PM EDT
Bump
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:44:03 AM EDT
I've owned off-grid island camps, and off-grid 'in-the-woods' cabins. In my limited experience, its often unlikely to offer someone some money for a few acres in the woods... There are often issues with access (and state laws) not to mention the process of severing a parcel, dealing with approvals, survey's, etc...

I've had far more luck simply trolling Realtor.com, the local county Realestate board MLS, and craigslist. Right now I can easily find several parcels, all under $20,000, that are considered "cheap" because there is something less than wonderful about them. They are seasonal access. Or they are half swamp. Or they are far from town. Or, or, or. Most are running somewhere between $800 and $1500/acre (but real estate here is cheap).

Consider one thing carefully: Water. Too much and too little. Too much: watch for flooding or parcels that loose their access when spring run off hits. Its a real issue. And too little: Drilling a well can easily exceed the cost of the parcel, not to mention the need for electricity for a pump. A reliable source of running water is a HUGE benefit. Decent stream water is fine for 90% of uses (washing up, dishes, etc) and can be filtered and purified far cheaper than trying to drill a well. A reliable year round spring or stream is a BIG benefit for the cabin in the woods.....

Beware taxes. When my last cabin, used mostly for hunting, had taxes run $3,000 a year, I started to figure that it would be more fun to simply take $3,000 every year and pay for a decent outfitter hunt somewhere....
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:27:17 AM EDT
You can get a lot of good info on http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:59:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dsparil:
Been a little inspired by the My Self-Reliance videos from the canadian dude. Where would I go about aquiring a couple of acres to do such a thing and build myself a little retreat? I'm in the pocono mountains so it's all tourist land. Looking at out West in the PA Wilds but is it just about offering money for a few acres or is there a specific avenue I should take?
View Quote
Pocono's are not ALL Tourist Land... If you look in your AO, you will find some reasonably priced land. I recently saw 25 acres with a small house that needed a gut/rebuild newly placed on the market in Pike County.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 5:32:45 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bill3rail:

Pocono's are not ALL Tourist Land... If you look in your AO, you will find some reasonably priced land. I recently saw 25 acres with a small house that needed a gut/rebuild newly placed on the market in Pike County.

Bill
View Quote
Yes it is. Poconos is now the 6th Borough of NY.

OP might I recommend looking in up near Sullivan County.
Very rural, in developed area, with alot of protected land and only about a 2 hour drive from Pocono's. Headed up there this evening to a 600 acre property (not mine). It's not off the grid, but it's pretty damn close.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 3:45:11 AM EDT
Some great buys here...
As far as a cabin is concerned...look at barndominiums. Basically a car-port turned into a house. Spray foam insulation is your best friend...
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:04:02 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By boerseun:
Some great buys here...
As far as a cabin is concerned...look at barndominiums. Basically a car-port turned into a house. Spray foam insulation is your best friend...
View Quote
Thanks.
Top Top