Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2020 1:41:03 AM EDT
Which one is better?

Looks to me like the OLAES has a slight edge.

Which one would you choose for your kit (or get both)?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:27:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The OLAES is a little bigger in the wrapper, but can be more versatile.  If you have the space, get both!  If you have some space, probably the OLAES first.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Israeli is good, OLAES is better.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Olaes is better than the Israeli, but the trade off is it's bigger.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the OLAES greatly over the Israeli.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Israeli is good, OLAES is better.
View Quote

This...me too!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The izzy isn’t a great bandage. It’s just better than old battle dressings and prolific.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I was looking at both of them to put in a IFAK, but the size of the OLAES may be to big to use in the pouch I was looking at.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Apologies if this is thread drift...

But is Amazon a safe place to buy these and Israeli bandages?  Don' want to get fakes or low quality.

Thanks.......P
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But is Amazon a safe place to buy these and Israeli bandages?  Don' want to get fakes or low quality.
View Quote

How about TacMedSolutions dot com? Flat-packed 4-inch Olaes bandage (NSN #6510-01-631-7893) for $6.95 each.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Apologies if this is thread drift...

Thanks.......P
View Quote

I have bought a bunch of Israeli pressure dressings off eBay with no issues. Just buy from a reliable source.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
My Medic

^^^I'm fond of these guys but that's just because they are locally owned...

The 4inchers they have should be the flat packed verision.

I have a few from TacMed as well who have the rolled or flat in the 4 inch.

ETA...

Your HSA or FSA will cover buying either the Izzy or OLAES
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#14]
pass on Amazon, too easy to get a fake dressing/tourniquet.

Rescue essentials or tacmed. I use RE

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/olaes-modular-bandage/

buy a tourniquet and some other stuff while you are at it :)

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad to have stumbled upon this info, will be getting a couple of these to add to my existing supply of Israeli bandages.  Nice to have the extra features for when/if needed but I also wouldn't be without the Israelis too, will likely pack one of each for my kits.  It looks like everyone thinks the OLAES is tops but it's not like the Izzy actually sucked at any point.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
The izzy isn’t a great bandage. It’s just better than old battle dressings and prolific.
View Quote
Being prolific is certainly a good thing about them over some types, gotta be where and when you need them to count.  Kinda curious, what deficiency do they have?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#17]
How different are they to use?  I try and practice with a Izzy a few times a year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Addicted2Fish:
 Being prolific is certainly a good thing about them over some types, gotta be where and when you need them to count.  Kinda curious, what deficiency do they have?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The izzy isn’t a great bandage. It’s just better than old battle dressings and prolific.
 Being prolific is certainly a good thing about them over some types, gotta be where and when you need them to count.  Kinda curious, what deficiency do they have?

Elastic is very weak.  Lacks absorbency.  Retaining and tightening mechanism are overly complex compared to other bandages and it lacks a true pressure point applicator like the other bandage in question.  Double packaging is stupid but it’s bc DOD wanted it that way.  

For pure strength and tightness, the H is optimal IMO.  For ease of use, NA Rescue.  For what I want used on me...OLAES.  It has wound packing built in.  That’s priceless.  Truly modular.  Chest seal, wound pack, pressure cup, eye shield, all in one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I actually prefer the H and H thin fold for compactness.  It provides the same features as an Israeli bandage.  The Oales has more bells and whistles.  The Israeli TC3 is a better option over the original Israeli bandage.  Buy one of each to compare them yourself.  See which one you like best, then buy in bulk.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Elastic is very weak.  Lacks absorbency.  Retaining and tightening mechanism are overly complex compared to other bandages and it lacks a true pressure point applicator like the other bandage in question.  Double packaging is stupid but it’s bc DOD wanted it that way.  

For pure strength and tightness, the H is optimal IMO.  For ease of use, NA Rescue.  For what I want used on me...OLAES.  It has wound packing built in.  That’s priceless.  Truly modular.  Chest seal, wound pack, pressure cup, eye shield, all in one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's what I like about the OLAES. It is a single item that can cover your basics well enough. It won't perfectly do the job like dedicated items mind you but it's a solid option.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered a couple of the "flat pack" OLAES for comparison.  Still haven't opened it but this is a 4" OLAES vs a 6" Israeli.

The packaging is about a deal breaker for me, I don't want to replace several BOK pouches. (I'm not even sure that there is a BOK kit that would fit that.)

I'm about to order a batch of something (has to be from Amazon because of gift certificate) and dedicate the old ones to training.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I opened an IDF and an OLAES up on camera for comparisons sake.

I've got a bunch of IDF dressings, but will be replacing them with OLAES after I test the 6" rolled in my BOKs for fit. Will probably order direct from TACMED Solutions.

IDF Dressing

OLAES Dressing

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Flat pack is wide and flat but thin.

Regular pack is round and narrow, but fat.  

If your kit is narrow, the regular pack might be better.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Flat pack is wide and flat but thin.

Regular pack is round and narrow, but fat.  

If your kit is narrow, the regular pack might be better.
View Quote

Yeps, made that mistake.  (well not really) I will be ordering a couple of the "regular" to go in BOKs and some more of the flats to go in larger kits, glovebox etc.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I opened an IDF and an OLAES up on camera for comparisons sake.

I've got a bunch of IDF dressings, but will be replacing them with OLAES after I test the 6" rolled in my BOKs for fit. Will probably order direct from TACMED Solutions.

IDF Dressing

OLAES Dressing

View Quote

Thanks for the videos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top