Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2021 3:49:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billth777]
I have and can take cuttings of Mulberry, elderberry and fig. I'm looking for sun chokes, walking onion (Egyptian) and or any other hardy perennial food sources that can grow/thrive in the south east.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got some sun chokes growing in the garden and would be happy to trade for some elderberry cuttings. I'm in NY (zone 6) and we grow elderberry up here already.

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Teakyman:
I've got some sun chokes growing in the garden and would be happy to trade for some elderberry cuttings. I'm in NY (zone 6) and we grow elderberry up here already.

View Quote

I'll pull some off and stick them in the rooter. PM me your address and details.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive got a ton of elderberry cut and in the bubbler
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m looking for Paw Paw seeds, the farther north the better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
I’m looking for Paw Paw seeds, the farther north the better.
View Quote

I try and get a few dozen every year and I pot up what takes. I'm trying to get a large grove down near my creek and mushroom garden. If I can locate a large supply (usually from reddit) I'd love to share. It's almost that time of year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

@Teakyman they are in the rooter and pushing new growth but no roots yet. Stand by.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 5:49:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FZJ80] [#10]
Originally Posted By billth777:

I try and get a few dozen every year and I pot up what takes. I'm trying to get a large grove down near my creek and mushroom garden. If I can locate a large supply (usually from reddit) I'd love to share. It's almost that time of year.
View Quote

That would be cool, they don't usually transplant that well, just kinda a tricky understory tree.  You have to have at least 2 genetically different trees to pollinate, and they pollinate with flies and wasps.  Odd bugger.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Tree cuttings:

We have a ranch up in New Mexico that was once an apple orchard- actually the very first or orhard in that part of the state!

I don't get up there very often these days, but hope to this fall.

There are some apple trees, pear trees and plum trees still producing on the property that have had no attention in 40+ years. The large apple orchard itself does not produce, but various trees scattered amongst the out buildings do great every year.

If I can get up there, research cuttings, and take a bunch- would anybody have interest?
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jvhuse:
Tree cuttings:

If I can get up there, research cuttings, and take a bunch- would anybody have interest?
View Quote

Most of the trees you listed would be scion wood for grafts. Not sure how many here are up to the task of grafting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

First official trade in this thread, a handful of rooted elderberry cuttings just went out to @Teakyman
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
If anybody doesn't have black walnuts and wants them, I have PLENTY.  I will send you a box full.

I bet every one will grow, too, cuz.....black walnuts are crazy that way.

I also have some (two-year-old) Paw Paw seeds.   I never got around to planting them, but cannot throw them away.  No idea whether they are viable, but I will send them to whoever wants some.

View Quote

They should be fine.  I threw out a bunch of paw paws seeds and it took them 2 yrs to even germinate,  but now I have like a 100 seedlings all in a cluster.  I think they need hard stratification to get them going.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I have milkweed.

I know, probably nobody is interested in that kind of thing.  I grow it for the Monarch butterflies.

But I don't have much to offer, so throwing it out there.
View Quote

I would be, if I didn't have a bunch.  I grow it for the same reason.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By billth777:

Most of the trees you listed would be scion wood for grafts. Not sure how many here are up to the task of grafting.
View Quote

I'm working on it. But I can't get my cuttings to root.  Any tips?  It's all citrus (which means I won't be sharing it outside of my neighborhood because of citrus greening).
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife is trying a ton of stuff on a small scale before we get our homestead up and running:

Most of it is too young for cuttings, but I'll definitely be tracking this thread.

Avacado
Banana
Banana
Banana
Barbados Cherry
Cassava
Chaya
Elderberry
Goji Berry
Hibiscus
Hibiscus
Hibiscus
Hibiscus
Hibiscus
Hibiscus
Katuk
Katuk
Loquat
Mullberry
Mulberry
Spinach
Spinach
Spinach
Strawberry Tree
Vitex
Vitex
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I have 200 pawpaw seeds about to go in, as well as 60 ginseng rootlets and ~1k ginseng seeds.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:38:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Are your ginseng rootlets cultivated ginseng?  Or gathered from the wild?

View Quote

I got them from here.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jvhuse:
Tree cuttings:

We have a ranch up in New Mexico that was once an apple orchard- actually the very first or orhard in that part of the state!

I don't get up there very often these days, but hope to this fall.

There are some apple trees, pear trees and plum trees still producing on the property that have had no attention in 40+ years. The large apple orchard itself does not produce, but various trees scattered amongst the out buildings do great every year.

View Quote

I would be interested in apples. I have pears I want to replace them with apples
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#27]
If anybody doesn't have black walnuts and wants them, I have PLENTY.  I will send you a box full.

I bet every one will grow, too, cuz.....black walnuts are crazy that way.

I also have some (two-year-old) Paw Paw seeds.   I never got around to planting them, but cannot throw them away.  No idea whether they are viable, but I will send them to whoever wants some.

View Quote

I would like to try some. If you'll think they'll take in zone 8b?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm on the hunt for anything cool that will grow in a zone 4. I'm right on the line between zone 4 and 5.  Nut trees that attract deer or berries would be great.   I tried to take cuttings of my blueberries in July and I didn't get any branches to root.  I should have tried using clonex and some rooting hormone on the end of the cutting but I wanted to see if I could clone them with just tap water in rapid rooter plugs in a cloning tray.

I've got some sommerset seedless table grapes I can take cuttings of this winter.  I'll also have red, purple, yellow coneflower seeds once the flower heads mature.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#30]

@Lucky13Don

I'm so sorry!  I didn't see that you had responded.

If you're interested still, Black Walnuts will be dropping within the next few weeks.

View Quote

It's ok, if you have some extra I'll give them a shot. Anyone know how to get cuttings from beauty berry? I've got a ton of them. And would be happy to share.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 9:04:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#32]

@Lucky13Don

I have about 2.5 million black walnuts on the ground.

Tell me the zone you are in.  Let me see if they will grow there at all. If they will, I will send you some.

~Kitties

View Quote

Zone 8b Florida panhandle.

Sorry...edited yours instead of quoting.

~Kitties

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#34]

@Lucky13Don

Read this:   Juglans nigra good writeup
View Quote

Think they might grow pretty good. I'm up for a test.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Tis the season, but should I untack this?  Y'all think more people will see it if it is not tacked?

No posts since November.
View Quote

Seems like (almost) no interest.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I have to trim up my muscadines.  The cuttings root pretty easily.   If anyone wants some send me a message. Not sure how I will ship them, but we can figure out something.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I've seen this thread off-and-on, and while I'm interested, I also need to get better at cuttings/growing than I am.  I kill most of the cuttings I've taken.  So far the best is just to stick them in soil, and basically forget all the fancy stuff like soaking in water.

I did get some spineless cacti to take finally though, and I did the least work to those buggers.  I'd be happy the send some of those out in a year when they're actually growing.  Goodness knows I got them for free.

Currently working on some evergreens I took cuttings of from locally, as well as chipping up the two trees I just dropped over where the garden is going to be this spring.  

This is in regards to the level of interest question from @Kitties-with-Sigs

Problem is also that these kinds of things take a while to go from starting to success at the best of times, nature being what it is.  No fast forward button, sadly.  Or pause button for that matter!
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I would love to get a mulberry cut or two. I have some nut trees that need to go. I'm located in MO.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Just discovered this thread.
Subscribed.

I will have some stuff fall and late winter.
Pecan graft wood and sawtooth oak acorns.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I have elderberry volunteers I can dig up. Plenty in the row that need to come up so I can mow.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#43]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#44]
So it seems like this kind of thread needs to be long-term and ongoing.

Because maybe somebody says, "I'd like to have some cuttings of Sauvignon Blanc grapes.  Does anybody have some?"  And then someone might see that and respond.  BUT...it might be the following fall before they can provide the cuttings.

So more long-term than anybody has tried before.

OP, if you are up for it, I will help if I can.

We can figure out how to do it, then edit the OP and go forward.
View Quote

I'll do whatever. Tomorrow AM i'm digging elderberry. No fig cuttings this year I lost all but one tree to the cold. They're all growing back from the roots i'm going to have to cut down the entire scaffold.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I have 8 elderberries I pulled out and potted. I may grab an handfull more, still deciding. These aren’t very happy yet and ready for shipping.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I think I have some spineless cacti that made the move with us, and have started rooting.

Willing to ship some out when they get established.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ClichedUsername] [#48]
I live near Austin and saw a Wonderful pomegranate tree for sale in Costco.

After researching to see if they would actually grow in my area, I learned that pomegranates are related to the ever present crepe myrtle! I also learned that pomegranates have all sorts of interesting varieties that have softer seeds than the store bought "Wonderful" fruit. Some are sweeter, more tart, or  have other characteristics that sound interesting. Do any of y'all grow pomegranates? All the local nurseries do not have anything other than wonderful in stock.

I would be happy to pay for the cutting and shipping if someone had them to offer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ClichedUsername:
I live near Austin and saw a Wonderful pomegranate tree for sale in Costco.

After researching to see if they would actually grow in my area, I learned that pomegranates are related to the ever present crepe myrtle! I also learned that pomegranates have all sorts of interesting varieties that have softer seeds than the store bought "Wonderful" fruit. Some are sweeter, more tart, or  have other characteristics that sound interesting. Do any of y'all grow pomegranates? All the local nurseries do not have anything other than wonderful in stock.

I would be happy to pay for the cutting and shipping if someone had them to offer.
View Quote

Im not sure how well the cuttings would root, we'd probably have to graft and I have NO idea what rootstock would be appropriate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:51:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ClichedUsername] [#50]
When looking for rootstocks I found some crazy people that successfully grafted pomegranates onto crape myrtles!

Texas A&M's home pomegranate publication says that they are very easy to propagate from cuttings. Both softwood and hardwood cuttings can be rooting in soil or water. They recommend softwood cuttings rooting under mist or humidity dome to prevent desiccation.

UF says cuttings can be rooted in just about any well draining medium and rooting hormone is not necessary but can ensure success.

I am reasonably confident this is possible
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top