BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/10/2021 10:03:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got that gun and it makes it much easier and faster to hit all the zirc fittings on my Land Cruisers during oil changes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny you post this. I recently bought a new manual grease gun because the one hanging up in the barn never worked right.

Then I thought for sure I was a moron that suddenly didn’t know how to work a grease gun.

Now I have two hanging up in the barn that don’t work right. Garbage.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn now I think I need one. But mine would have to be red
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had the same issue, and was told the same thing.  I have Ridgid tools and just got an email last week that they are making a $180 grease gun now.  I probably oughta just bite the bullet now, as opposed to waiting for my current gun to shit the bed.  My uncle has the Milwaukee version and he and his boys love it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Once you go to a battery powered grease gun you’ll never go back.

I have 5 https://www.skf.com/alemite/products/grease-guns/battery-operated-grease-guns/20V-series-596-597

They’re in my various shops.  But they’re amazing. The dewalt / Milwaukee / other brands are all going to be based off Alemites pumping technology.  

Just be warned. You will go through more grease because of how much grease gets delivered.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Just be warned. You will go through more grease because of how much grease gets delivered.
View Quote

Yep. They really move some grease.

Also, dad bought a Dewalt and it works pretty good so far.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Scroll past the story if you just want the link....it's in RED below.

I've been through three manual grease guns in two years.  

I thought I was stupid about grease guns.

Walked into Napa today and asked the guy who never lies to me, "I need a grease gun that isn't crap, and I need you to teach me what I'm doing wrong."

Him:  You're not doing anything wrong probably.  All the new grease guns are made in china and they are garbage.  You need a battery grease gun if you want a good one.

Me:  My dad used the same grease gun for 60 years or more.  I want that grease gun.

Him:  That grease gun isn't made any more.  If you want a good grease gun now, you have to get a battery gun.

Me:  Okay so how much will that cost?  I'm in the DeWalt battery system.

Him:  We have that.  *Looks up price for gun*    $229.00  (I had already looked this up, so knew I didn't have to pay that)

Me:  Hmmm...lemme think about that. Thank you for educating me and helping me understand I'm not an idiot who cannot make her grease gun actually work.

Him: You're not an idiot.  Your grease gun is no good.  Go down to BG Muffler and ask them if they will grease your spreader so you can fertilize your customer's lawn.

Me:  Thank you so much.  

*goes to regular car shop where they take care of our cars, asks for help...they grease my spreader.*

Me:  gets home later, goes online and buys this grease gun for $150.

Here's the Link:
Grease Gun
View Quote

For reference, your NAPA guy is wrong.

https://locknlube.com/products/alemite-1054-s4-grease-gun-bundle

Made in the USA hand grease gun.  However, it is very expensive at, ~$150.

They are bomb proof still.

None the less, the battery powered is the way to fly in my opinion, if you're just starting out.  We retain hand grease guns in my shop for various specialty applications such as needle greasers, button head grease fittings, and different types of grease.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought that exact model in April of 2019.  7 tractors to maintain.  After years of manual grease guns I'm beyond satisfied with the purchase.  Priming the guns always seemed to be my problem.  The Dewalt is effortless when changing tubes and priming them.

Time savings all the way around is great.

Also added a LockNLube coupler as the cherry on top.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:23:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Thank you.  Right now I'm going through NO grease because the f***ing guns don't work.  So my equipment will be glad for any improvement.  Grease is cheap when compared to failed equipment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Once you go to a battery powered grease gun you’ll never go back.

I have 5 https://www.skf.com/alemite/products/grease-guns/battery-operated-grease-guns/20V-series-596-597

They’re in my various shops.  But they’re amazing. The dewalt / Milwaukee / other brands are all going to be based off Alemites pumping technology.  

Thank you.  Right now I'm going through NO grease because the f***ing guns don't work.  So my equipment will be glad for any improvement.  Grease is cheap when compared to failed equipment.

Grease and oil had been my family’s business for 102 years.

Ask any questions regarding those and you’ll get an answer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this compatible with the 20V XR Max batteries?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#15]
@foxtrox08 what's a good grease to run in these? General purpose for mowers spindles and tractors.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:47:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#19]

I knew you were in that business.  I appreciate your input in this thread.

You said something that made me question my decision.

You said you keep hand guns because of specialty uses.. (needle tips, etc)...can that not work with the battery gun?  I have never used a battery gun, so don't know anything about them.

I will learn on Monday, when the gun gets here, cuz that's how I roll.
View All Quotes

Grease and oil had been my family’s business for 102 years.

Ask any questions regarding those and you’ll get an answer.

I knew you were in that business.  I appreciate your input in this thread.

You said something that made me question my decision.

You said you keep hand guns because of specialty uses.. (needle tips, etc)...can that not work with the battery gun?  I have never used a battery gun, so don't know anything about them.

I will learn on Monday, when the gun gets here, cuz that's how I roll.

Running a needle greaser with an electric gun equals a mess. I’ve tried.

The button head uses a different grease.  So not worth switching it out. That’s only used for an old bulldozer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#20]
In addition to the lock’n’lube gun the other high quality system is the German made Lube Shuttle.  Uses proprietary grease canisters though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#21]

What is a "lockNLube coupler"?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgtgrits:
I bought that exact model in April of 2019.  7 tractors to maintain.  After years of manual grease guns I'm beyond satisfied with the purchase.  Priming the guns always seemed to be my problem.  The Dewalt is effortless when changing tubes and priming them.

Time savings all the way around is great.

Also added a LockNLube coupler as the cherry on top.

What is a "lockNLube coupler"?

LockNLube coupler
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#22]

LockNLube coupler
View Quote
That's a cool tool. I don't even have or need  a grease gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Okay...can this coupling, combined with a battery driven gun,  force more grease into a fitting than it should take...basically harming the thing?
View All Quotes

LockNLube coupler

Okay...can this coupling, combined with a battery driven gun,  force more grease into a fitting than it should take...basically harming the thing?

Nope

Grease guns, manual or electric, are fairly high pressure by design. They push the old grease, water, and crap out, putting new grease where it belongs, and can lubricate the needed part
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

LockNLube coupler

So 95% of the time no - grease is designed to be used in an open situation. Pins, bushings, open bearings.

Sometimes there will be grease able spots that are semi sealed. Front axles of tractors in some cases.  These will have a rubber seal with a “drip” basically. Over greasing that can cause damage to the seal.  So the way I do it on my tractor is just a quick pull of the trigger and done.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#28]
The last several years I've been working on things that need a grease gun I've been thinking I must be an idiot because I can't get the things to work worth a damn.

Now I have my answer.  Shit.  I don't want to buy a $150 gun just to grease my cars/truck/trailer.

But... I probably will.  I've bought less useful tools that I use less often for way more money.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#30]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#32]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]

So for same money...you could get the battery gun.  But that won't help unless you're in the DeWalt battery system.

FWIW, I wish I had one of the nice manual guns too...  Maybe some day.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tbonifie:
The last several years I've been working on things that need a grease gun I've been thinking I must be an idiot because I can't get the things to work worth a damn.

Now I have my answer.  Shit.  I don't want to buy a $150 gun just to grease my cars/truck/trailer.

But... I probably will.  I've bought less useful tools that I use less often for way more money.

So for same money...you could get the battery gun.  But that won't help unless you're in the DeWalt battery system.

FWIW, I wish I had one of the nice manual guns too...  Maybe some day.

There are many battery grease guns nowadays.  Milwaukee makes a 12v and 18v, Ridgid just came out with one, ryobi has one, makita, dewalt obviously, and there are a few less common ones too

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#34]

This is the next question I had.

When I was a kid and was helping my dad, I'm not sure there were quite so many options...at least not at the farm store where my dad bought grease.  There was just always a tube of grease lying around and I don't remember ever even looking at it.  Grease was grease, to me.  It was thick and blackish brown.

I understand oil weights enough to think through most stuff.  Grease is different.

I recently tried to find the same grease that came with my little rotary hammer from Harbor Freight, and that was frustrating.  Lots of choices.  Blue, red, blackish brown, high temp, etc...

If it were all that important, it seems like manufacturers (of the equipment AND the guns) would make more of it in the instructions.

There is special white lithium grease for the shafts on my Echo small equipment.  But that comes in a squeeze tube.

There is dielectric grease for electrical contacts.   That's not friction reducing grease though.

@foxtrot do you have a down and dirty, quick and easy tutorial, or just a "don't worry about it go buy THIS"?  

Thanks in advance..

Kitties

ETA:  Instructions say, for Grease Type:  

Up to NLGI #2  
capacity:  16 oz bulk (which I won't be using)  or 14.5 oz cartridge

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hammer1995:
@foxtrox08 what's a good grease to run in these? General purpose for mowers spindles and tractors.

This is the next question I had.

When I was a kid and was helping my dad, I'm not sure there were quite so many options...at least not at the farm store where my dad bought grease.  There was just always a tube of grease lying around and I don't remember ever even looking at it.  Grease was grease, to me.  It was thick and blackish brown.

I understand oil weights enough to think through most stuff.  Grease is different.

I recently tried to find the same grease that came with my little rotary hammer from Harbor Freight, and that was frustrating.  Lots of choices.  Blue, red, blackish brown, high temp, etc...

If it were all that important, it seems like manufacturers (of the equipment AND the guns) would make more of it in the instructions.

There is special white lithium grease for the shafts on my Echo small equipment.  But that comes in a squeeze tube.

There is dielectric grease for electrical contacts.   That's not friction reducing grease though.

@foxtrot do you have a down and dirty, quick and easy tutorial, or just a "don't worry about it go buy THIS"?  

Thanks in advance..

Kitties

ETA:  Instructions say, for Grease Type:  

Up to NLGI #2  
capacity:  16 oz bulk (which I won't be using)  or 14.5 oz cartridge

General purpose grease:

Mystik JT6 HT #2

Available at most places.  Generally one the best go to, fairly priced grease.

For marine/salt water applications it’s going to be different. Or electric motors it’s going to be different. It will also be different for yellow iron kinda.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Okay my gun is here.  Per usual, Dewalt makes noises about its tool exploding or creating a tear in time space if you use accessories it does not recommend.  I don't see that they offer a lock n lube, and I'm gonna want one because who has three hands?

They do offer a right-angle coupler, which I think I'll for sure need to get, for tight spaces.  There's a funky spring thing on the coupler end of the tube to keep you from destroying the thing by kinking it, I guess.  That's going to be impossible in some placements.

View All Quotes

LockNLube coupler

Okay my gun is here.  Per usual, Dewalt makes noises about its tool exploding or creating a tear in time space if you use accessories it does not recommend.  I don't see that they offer a lock n lube, and I'm gonna want one because who has three hands?

They do offer a right-angle coupler, which I think I'll for sure need to get, for tight spaces.  There's a funky spring thing on the coupler end of the tube to keep you from destroying the thing by kinking it, I guess.  That's going to be impossible in some placements.

Well Kitties now you've learned me something.

I'm going to get one of those right angle adapters.  Didn't know about them.  I have run into a couple tight places where the LockNLube coupler doesn't fit so well. Now I won't have to find the old manual grease gun to do just one or two zerk fittings.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shortround] [#36]
You need one of these, believe me.  I use my Dewalt in an industrial environment and often have to get grease points on overhead conveyors where you need to hang out in mid air while you grease a bearing.  This is worth every penny:

Lock & Lube

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:44:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#37]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Thank you everyone for the information posted here!  My wife and I both turn wrenches professionally and were just two days ago lamenting the lack of options for decent manual grease guns.  Electric guns are great, but for some applications a manual gun is warranted.  Plus, I'm kind of old school.  Just because you CAN electrify something doesn't mean you SHOULD.  If I'm wrenching on a tractor in the middle of nowhere I don't want to worry about a battery being charged or not.

I see an Alemite 1056 or two in our future.  $150 is a lot for a manual gun, but if it lasts for years instead of a year like the Chineseum guns around the house it'll pay for itself in the long run.  Trouble is I have three different greases to dispense.  General purpose for bearings/joints, long fibered for some equipment, and marine/lithium.  That's pushing $500 for grease guns.  Yikes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#40]

@Sea2summit you have one of those?

Proprietary grease canisters would scare me off...

Which leads me to my next question..

View Quote

I do not but I fondled one and the build quality was exceptional.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By shortround:
You need one of these, believe me.  I use my Dewalt in an industrial environment and often have to get grease points on overhead conveyors where you need to hang out in mid air while you grease a bearing.  This is worth every penny:

Lock & Lube

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51QiF3lyeKL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
View Quote

Wish they had a 90 degree option, it’s too long for a few zerks so I keep a gun with a traditional fitting around.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#42]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Outside of the battery powered options, this combo is the BEST that I have used in a long time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

Wish they had a 90 degree option, it’s too long for a few zerks so I keep a gun with a traditional fitting around.
View Quote

Maybe?

LockNLube Simple 90° Coupler

LockNLube 90 Degree Grease Coupler Adapter
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Ohh my, gonna have to grab that second one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#45]

For reference, your NAPA guy is wrong.

https://locknlube.com/products/alemite-1054-s4-grease-gun-bundle

Made in the USA hand grease gun.  However, it is very expensive at, ~$150.
View Quote

I've been using the Alemite 500-E from lock-n-lube for over a year now. Haven't had a single problem with it. I'm not sure if it's made in USA but Alemite is good stuff. Only cost $73 with swivel hose, extended reach lock-n-lube coupler, and free 90-degree attachment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

View Quote

The best 90-degree grease fitting I've found is this Lincoln made for really tight fits... because you still push it on straight in line with the hose it can truly be a lifesaver is really tight spots where you can't fit a hand to push one on from the side.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top