Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2022 4:54:22 AM EDT
Let's assume the top M1913 Rails are strong enough to do this. I hope they are steel.

Inspired from O/U rifles combining the ability to fire two different cartridges (because the gun have two barrels, typically break-action).

Would it be possible to make a bolt action, single shot, 22LR rifle with a very thin, very lightweight "pencil" barrel, as an attachement to be put on top of a full length AR (assuming it is free of obstruction, no M16 style sights or any such tall fixed front sights?).

Due to the strange nature of this idea that no normal AR owners would risk losing zero on their rifles, is why i post it here instead of in AR-15 thread, or should i move it there ?

Purpose : in a long trekking trip you dont want to waste higher powered rifle round for a target that a 22LR is perfectly capable to harvest. the two barrels will use the same optic (attached on top of the 22LR, or behind it if your AR is long enough).
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It would seem to me the much easier solution would be to get a CMMG .22 conversion kit and a few 22 magazines.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Certainly possible, but seems like a lot of work for little reward.  

A basic 22 pistol would be cheaper and easier. Or the conversion kit as well.

If you wanna get weird with it, maybe buy a chiappa badger and see if you can’t attach it to an AR. Make sure you stay within length rules but it would be a $180 adventure at worst.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Let's assume the top M1913 Rails are strong enough to do this. I hope they are steel.

Inspired from O/U rifles combining the ability to fire two different cartridges (because the gun have two barrels, typically break-action).

Would it be possible to make a bolt action, single shot, 22LR rifle with a very thin, very lightweight "pencil" barrel, as an attachement to be put on top of a full length AR (assuming it is free of obstruction, no M16 style sights or any such tall fixed front sights?).

Due to the strange nature of this idea that no normal AR owners would risk losing zero on their rifles, is why i post it here instead of in AR-15 thread, or should i move it there ?

Purpose : in a long trekking trip you dont want to waste higher powered rifle round for a target that a 22LR is perfectly capable to harvest. the two barrels will use the same optic (attached on top of the 22LR, or behind it if your AR is long enough).
View Quote

No…
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Possible? Sure. I would just rather carry a small backpack 22 instead though, or pistol for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Single shot? How about a chamber adapter?

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Chiappa little badger in the pack or a 22lr pistol would be my first choice.  (I have both.)

If you are looking for something lighter but still a rifle take a look at the pack-rifle:

https://www.packrifle.com/product/pack-rifle/

Attachment Attached File

The over under concept really only works on break actions and anything you do to attach to guns together will be just that, two guns attached together.  Great idea in theory but no way to reasonably execute said idea.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I would instead carry a second firearm, either a scoped pistol (first choice) or something like a marlin papoose or a henry ar-7 (distant second choice)

I have an ar-7 from before they were manufactured by Henry and have not been impressed with the sights, accuracy, or reliability of the firearm.

My scoped Ruger Mark 2 pistol on the other hand, I am very happy with.

My eyes are getting older, and I just can't use open sights as well as I once did.

If you are planning on staying with the AR platform as your primary firearm, I don't think you will find a practical way to do what you want.

If you spend much time in the woods, you know that opportunities to harvest game are sometimes short lived.  Drawing a handgun will be faster, quieter, and require less movement that unpacking a second firearm or emptying your chamber, installing a 22 lr chamber insert, and firing - not even including the increased chances of missing due to point of aim shifting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Combination type firearms are always intriguing in theory, but execution is often less than stellar or end up requiring a lot of investment and tweaking to get acceptable levels of performance.

Quoted:
A basic 22 pistol would be cheaper and easier.
View Quote

Aside from adding more weight onto your rifle that is only a “contingency” use, if you really feed the need, the US RSOG, who’s been instructing E&E and SERE training for almost 30 years, quickly found out that a semi-auto .22LR pistol with optic (light for hunting nocturnal game), and I personally would recommend a suppressor, was the best option for an emergency survival tool. While they aren’t necessarily small, but my Ruger 22/45 LITE weighs 25oz; I’ve added a small MRDS and will planning to get a suppressor for it.  

Their explanation is a little dated, but still sound:  Survival Firearm

It's a lot of extra weight for contingency hunting, but for the survival-focused minuteman, I guess it would be a good option to have available.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I should mount a Saiga 12 on my AR

For Science

Neva been done be4
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

.22lr is rimfire, the firing pin won’t line up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Single shot? How about a chamber adapter?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/121629609300-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

.22lr is rimfire, the firing pin won’t line up.

Yes they will! The chamber on the adapter is offset a little to alow to allow the firing pin to line up. The chamber on the adapter is angled just slightly.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
just a comment... a second stand alone long gun or pistol would equip another family member... I shoot Steel Challenge and there are a couple of local 11 year old little girls I would not want to face if they are shooting their 10/22...
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry a .22 handgun on hunting trips. I don’t think your idea would work very well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]

That is a beautiful Ruger by the way!
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I actually got a Chiappa Badger to set up as a "survival" gun. Added some cord, ammo holder, etc. Never shot it, and I sold it. Why? I realized any time I would be in a situation I could carry a rifle, it would literally never be this one. a 10/22 take down fits the same sized bag and is infinitely more useful. If size/bulk was the main concern I would do pistol. I also don't fly over any back country so really the chance of "needing" anything to hunt was slim to none.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Wow, that's a new one on me!!

Also is this from their website;

Why is this not sounding like a good idea to me.  A rod and reel you bolt onto the gun............

Gun looks cool.  Rod and reel.......not so much......

JMHO
Doc
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.packrifle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Pack-Rifle-together-logo-side-all-1030x687.jpg

Wow, that's a new one on me!!

Also is this from their website;

https://www.packrifle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Pack-Rifle-Fishing-Rod-and-Reel-Kit-687x1030.jpg

Why is this not sounding like a good idea to me.  A rod and reel you bolt onto the gun............

Gun looks cool.  Rod and reel.......not so much......

JMHO
Doc
View Quote

I don't have one but have thought about getting one for a long while.  
I always enjoy the weird small kit/ packable/ survival 22LR options out there
I currently have a Chiappa little badger, got one as soon as they came out.  I also have an older version AR7 and the newer one made by Henry.  I had a marlin papoose but wasn't over impressed for what it was.  I sold it because I already had a marlin model 60 which I liked, and a a regular ruger 10/22.  The other neat one I have is a Rossi youth matched pair, it has a 22LR barrel and 20GA.  My 22LR pistol that also fits the bill is an older original ruger standard or MK1 that I picked up used for cheap at a local gun store.  Shoots minute of a tack all day long.

I have been thinking about ordering one of those pack rifles this fall.

ETA/ the fishing thing for it is stupid IMO and I would not bother with it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I would carry a mag of 55gr FMJ or JSP or whatever over 4.0gr of IMR Trail Boss.

That way you have .22 "+P" power and all you have to do is change the magazine and rack in the reduced load.

Won't cycle of course but neither will a single shot .22

Seems like the cheapest and easiest solution.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is a beautiful Ruger by the way!
View Quote

Thank you. It has become my favorite gun to shoot. This was the first handgun I put an RDS on and it was definitely a “ah-ha” moment after I got used to it. My furthest kill with it has been a 75 yard head shot on a swimming beaver. A trigger job is next for it and than it will be complete I think.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seems like an interesting idea, but it'd add a lot of weight to a rifle.    I think a good pistol would be better and would give two points of failure/loss instead of 1.     On the other hand I'd seriously consider buying something like that if it was on the market and the right price for the weird/cool factor as a range toy.    Might be more useful on something like a 410 AR shotgun for hunting small game.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Under barrel spear gun lol
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#24]
That is beautiful.

Single shot isn't the only option, a minimum 5 round magazine with either bolt action or semi automatic is also considered (leaning towards bolt action for overall simplicity and weight + size reduction). With integrally suppressed barrel.

CZ 455 magazine and action are admirably thin.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Under barrel spear gun lol
View Quote
Real estate of underbarrel attachment is quite limited. That is why i am going for the top rail which has much more available space.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Combination type firearms are always intriguing in theory, but execution is often less than stellar or end up requiring a lot of investment and tweaking to get acceptable levels of performance.

Aside from adding more weight onto your rifle that is only a "contingency" use, if you really feed the need, the US RSOG, who's been instructing E&E and SERE training for almost 30 years, quickly found out that a semi-auto .22LR pistol with optic (light for hunting nocturnal game), and I personally would recommend a suppressor, was the best option for an emergency survival tool. While they aren't necessarily small, but my Ruger 22/45 LITE weighs 25oz; I've added a small MRDS and will planning to get a suppressor for it.  

Their explanation is a little dated, but still sound:  Survival Firearm

It's a lot of extra weight for contingency hunting, but for the survival-focused minuteman, I guess it would be a good option to have available.

ROCK6
View Quote
the link is a good read, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In the US there are restrictions for barrel length and overall length on a rifle. If you mount a second barrel to your rifle it's considered a rifle also, and the barrel would need to be a minimum of 16". One way around that would be to register it as a short barreled rifle (or possibly an AOW as a "combo gun"), but the $200 cost of just the tax stamp would be better used for a .22lr sidearm or a small separate .22lr rifle in my opinion. Another option would be a .22lr conversion for the AR, which could be installed or removed as wanted.
View Quote
Good point on the length part regarding US laws. Thnx
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would carry a mag of 55gr FMJ or JSP or whatever over 4.0gr of IMR Trail Boss.

That way you have .22 "+P" power and all you have to do is change the magazine and rack in the reduced load.

View Quote

damn that's a good idea! do they get going fast enough that way? I imagine it could be pretty quiet, especially if you go with a can and it doesn't move/cycle the bolt too much
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#29]
USFS zip mounted under the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Real combo guns are bad ass. The rifle rifle combo proposed isn’t all that useful, conversion kits, chamber inserts, or custom light loads will take care of the proposed OP use. I’ve got a 22/410, 22/20ga, 223/20ga, and the North American Special 30/30/12ga. They enable a unique game harvesting option and could be pressed for defense use, but would be best used slung with a defensive rifle in the hands if the world has gone down hill. The 22/410-20 aren’t much over 4 pounds.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It would seem to me the much easier solution would be to get a CMMG .22 conversion kit and a few 22 magazines.
View Quote

I have been pleasantly surprised at how little difference there is in POI between shooting .22LR out of my conversion kit and shooting 5.56 out of the same AR rifle and optic.

It's not a perfect match, but it's close enough for a lot of practical uses.

If you don't mind hand-loading each .22lr shot, you don't even need any extra magazines.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

damn that's a good idea! do they get going fast enough that way? I imagine it could be pretty quiet, especially if you go with a can and it doesn't move/cycle the bolt too much
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blue Dot is the answer you seek.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/tobee2.php
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  Let's assume the top M1913 Rails are strong enough to do this. I hope they are steel.

View Quote

AR-15 upper receivers' M1913 rails are aluminum, magnesium or plastic; the M1913 rails on the AR handguard are aluminum, magnesium, plastic, or carbon fiber.  I know of no steel handguards for the AR-15.  A steel upper could be made from 1" internal diameter pipe, but that largely defeats the raison d'etre of the AR-15.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top