Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2021 1:34:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I still have $500 worth of PPE I bought back in 01/20.  Is it a good time to unload them now?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still have $500 worth of PPE I bought back in 01/20.  Is it a good time to unload them now?
View Quote

If you are looking to unload them 2-3 months after you bought them would have been ideal.  Now is better than later, but your peak selling time is well past.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have yet to wear a dang mask
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you are looking to unload them 2-3 months after you bought them would have been ideal.  Now is better than later, but your peak selling time is well past.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you tried to sell them, any online venue such as Ebay or Facebook marketplace would have removed your listing. I had some stuff I would have sold but couldn't.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now that respirators of all kinds are back in stock, do you have a full face mask for each member of your family? Stocking up on cartridges?
View Quote

Why? If my family didn't need them during the WuFlu, why get them now?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Projects around the house where you don't want to breathe nasty shit in your lungs

There are many, MANY reasons to own high quality PPE.
View Quote

I can get behind this reason, but I think a half respirator would work and only really need one for me. Not sure I agree on needing full face PPE for the whole family.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I like using the 3M N95 masks for welding. (Worn under welding mask).  Would be nice to have a few of those on hand.  All mine are 4-5 years old and used.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I continued to supplement and upgrade through 2020. I'm at a stage now where I might unload the israeli masks I have since I upgraded to 3m and Mestel. I have a multitude of N95 masks. I realized the Aura masks are ok for short term use but standard cup style are better options for me. I have a bunch of KN95 and KF94 masks that are good for stashing in packs and bags, and I probably have a years worth of ASTM level 1/2 masks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, this IS the prepper/survival forum, is it not?

I go by the idea that if I don't want it in my lungs, I don't want it in my eyes (mucus membrane) either, and 3M 6000 series (I believe all models in that series, but don't quote me) have safety rated lenses as well, so built in safety glasses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can get behind this reason, but I think a half respirator would work and only really need one for me. Not sure I agree on needing full face PPE for the whole family.

I go by the idea that if I don't want it in my lungs, I don't want it in my eyes (mucus membrane) either, and 3M 6000 series (I believe all models in that series, but don't quote me) have safety rated lenses as well, so built in safety glasses.

Everyone is forgetting the big forest fires of previous years. Not a bad idea to have clean air for the family during an evac or even on perimeter defense duty wetting things down. Among other things.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I use the same mask and filters that you do, op.
Last January my wife and I were in Phoenix for her work. We were on the flight back to TN when they announced a student at ASU had covid. We were staying at the Moxie in Tempe right across from campus. I had walked all over that campus a couple of times while my wife was working.

I had been reading the thread in GD as a lurker about the Chinese locking down Wuhan. When we landed, I ordered a case of 100 filters. There were like $190.00. I sold 5 of the 10 packs at $40 each so that mine were free. We also were buying every mask/ n95 at Wal-Mart, HD/ Lowe's and paint store around. My wife thought I was nuts until March/ April came around. She trusts me though and supports me following my instincts.

I don't know how anyone considers themselves "prepared" without the basic needs covered. For me, breathing falls into that category.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the same mask/filters that I had before the virus.
Never felt the need to use them.

I been social distancing for years, my wife always thought i was just a cranky, old man.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Everyone is forgetting the big forest fires of previous years. Not a bad idea to have clean air for the family during an evac or even on perimeter defense duty wetting things down. Among other things.
View Quote

Smoke will quickly clog filters. Scba is needed for heavy smoke environments.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Ya'll don't be hoarding them, we still need them at work for pulling pigs (mercury exposure) and for knifemaking.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Smoke will quickly clog filters. Scba is needed for heavy smoke environments.
View Quote

Can you quantify "heavy smoke"?

I was envisioning light smoke, the type that would be incredibly degrading as an irritant to the eyes and lungs, not heavy smoke where you would see increased CO & CO2 as well as degraded O2 levels.

That being said, fighting a fire with some mask is certainly better than no mask I would say. The only downside I can foresee is if the mask gets you further into a dangerous area you shouldn't be in and then the filter becomes degraded and you can't get out.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be more worried about my car stalling out from the ash first.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
A gas mask or whatever with filters is just filtering particulates out of air.  As lobby day neared there was a run on surplus masks and filters.  Then covid wandered in and masks and filters disappeared.

Now some of the stuff is back but a filter that was 12 bucks was recently around 40 bucks or so.  Have not checked recently, just saw it in an email and did not check other sources.

We have discussed how a rail road wreck may cause you to bug out even if you really don't plan to ever bug out, kinda depends how far you are from some train tracks and honestly if a semi with the right stuff comes upwind of your area that could be a similar issue.

The forest fire is mentioned and also important.  And air filters for the car engine as well as the cabin air filter are important as well if your vehicle has one.  Air filters for vehicles saw a big surge in purchases but I don't think they ever went nutty.

If you spray chemicals on the yard or house for whatever reason, filters can be nice.

I don't think people need to run out and buy cbrn rated filters if the lower level stuff will work for you.

I know a lot of out of date cbn filters were bought for lobby day when tear gas and stuff was discussed.  By no means am I an expert and don't pretend to be, do your own research and as with most things if the gas mask does not fit well then I don't care what filter you got it won't work 100%.

I can honestly say after this go round of no good gloves for old prices, no good dust masks for old prices, and similar stuff I kind of look at supplies for hobbies like wood working or spraying pesticide or weed killer a little differently.  Now some stuff like rubber gloves don't keep all that well but like batteries in storage you can buy a box now and another one later and stagger em out.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
They're awesome as long as you're not one of those people they don't fit or fog up on. I've gotten bits of metal stuck in my face while grinding and cutting. Respirator only covered the lower half, glasses covered upper, but there's that nice gap in the middle. Plus, one piece of gear to deal with rather than two... That said, I'd still buy the half face first, but having both is a great option.
Good to hear filters are coming back, I need some.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like using the 3M N95 masks for welding. (Worn under welding mask).  Would be nice to have a few of those on hand.  All mine are 4-5 years old and used.
View Quote

Went to Lowe's today and they had some in stock.  I use the ones with the valve thingie.

5 pack for $19.XX or 10 for $22.98.  So I grabbed a 10-pack.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#25]
For those who acquire and intend to rely on respirators: have you done fit testing to ensure they will work when you need them?

Everyone reading this may be aware of the necessity for fit testing, but it's worth mentioning.  N95 and N100 masks won't work as respirators if they don't seal on the face of the wearer properly and there are many sizes and shapes of them to accommodate a variety of human face sizes and shapes.  I think it's wise to fit test before you invest in a significant supply of a specific make and model of respirator.  Once you know what actually works for your face, then it's time stock-up.

The same is true for full-on respirators with changeable filter cartridges.  Although those are far more adjustable, I think it's prudent to do fit testing before you really need them  if nothing else than to confirm that you have it properly adjusted to make a proper seal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a supply of N-95 masks for my woodworking hobby. I would never waste them for covid, that would be stupid.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Stocked up january 2020.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top