Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2021 6:29:25 PM EDT
Just checked in on 14.332, the YL system.

Net control assured me that all check-ins are required to wear masks.

"CQ DX but only those hams wearing their Covid masks. I'm in a high risk group."

Confusion and hilarity.

One wag answered "Mwhgh! mwhgh!" like he was talking through a gag. It took about 10 minutes to get his call. He had picked up on it.

I asked if he was a Monty Python fan. He was.

I KNOW it went over the heads of a few others, though. There were some very confused hams out there.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Like anything, fun is what you make of things.  

Is that going to be a Pic blog item?

If you were watching me an hour ago,you would have been laughing your butt off.

I just came in from fruitlessly trying to get a messenger line in a tree.  Well I got one bottle well stuck in a tree like Charlie Brown’s kite, the wrong tree at that, a short one off the side down the hill. Broke off leaving a chocolate milk bottle up there as a decoration.

Then a few lame attempts, trying to whip a bottle launch off a broom handle, trying to sling a circle and toss, the old baseball arm,.....not a sound option probably since hitting forty over ten years ago.

I had too many errands this morning and got a late start.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I just climb, but I heard a QSO a few days ago where a guy said he used his rod & reel to cast a lead weight through the branches. I think he also said he got lucky because he missed what he was aiming for and nailed a better limb higher up, lol. It might have come from the 80M net, now that I think about it...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the way you think! LOL!

You know, sometimes I wonder about people who wear a mask while driving a car with no passengers in. They vote too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You know, sometimes I wonder about people who wear a mask while driving a car with no passengers in. They vote too.
View Quote

For next weeks net we ought to make sure everyone has their masks on except for SWLs.

We wear our masks to protect THEM!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just climb, but I heard a QSO a few days ago where a guy said he used his rod & reel to cast a lead weight through the branches. I think he also said he got lucky because he missed what he was aiming for and nailed a better limb higher up, lol. It might have come from the 80M net, now that I think about it...
View Quote

Ooooh, thank you!

I will try that tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only time I do that is after work (where a mask is required) if I'm on the way to the grocery store down the road (mask also required). It's not that I'm afraid of the covid boogie man getting me in my car, I'm just too damn lazy to put it on and take it off repeatedly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm tempted to call CQ on 40 meters and ask each if they are wearing a mask when they talk into their microphone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm tempted to call CQ on 40 meters and ask each if they are wearing a mask when they talk into their microphone.
View Quote

Do it. It's hilarious.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#12]
You could do it on CW, also.  Ask them to wear a mask (sock) when they QLF.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You could do it on CW, also.  Ask them to wear a mask (sock) when they QLF.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would have loved to hear that live on the air!

@SteelonSteel

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108158/DSCN5675_JPG-1841525.jpg

View Quote

Now that is cool.  

I had tons of blanks from my guard days but gave them away.

What is the rocket made of?

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do it. It's hilarious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it. It's hilarious.

If the mask has an opening in the front for the microphone does it count? Asking because I've actually seen them used.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#16]
- Sir, may I have your name, QTH and your mask wearer's certificate number?......
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
- Sir, may I have your name, QTH and your mask wearer's certificate number?......
View Quote
"Before I confirm that QSL, could you please transmit an SSTV image of your COVID vaccination card?"  
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Cheaper than Dirt sometimes advertises a "Golf Ball" launcher that uses blanks. It did cross my mind to think it could be used to shoot a wire over a tall tree... but reading the advertisement it was talking about up to 300 yards distance - which is significantly farther than I needed. I never thought about using custom/homemade blanks. I may have to revisit that idea.... then I can tell my wife that I combining my two hobbies so I wont be spending as much money anymore... LOL
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I shot all the ropes over the trees at my house with a can cannon. I tied paracord thru a tennis ball and have a fishing reel mounted to the picatinny rail. I loaded my own blanks with Trailboss as it is pretty loud with normal blanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I got it done after work tonight.

A combo of an old  bow and old aluminum arrow with the fletching rotted off.   I did have to learn to tape the 40 pound test down the shaft and especially near the nock or it would never work.  

I have my OCDP in the air and had to trim some branches on a small ash tree that had a bit of crown touching the antenna.

Listening to a net on 40M, 7.178.00MHz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top