Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2018 5:09:56 PM EDT
My experience raising turkeys have been awesome in many ways. Love watching them roam the property.

Issue is I have a neighbor across the street whom they like to visit and poop on his walkway. He's frustrated if not really mad, I am as well, that they won't stay put. I need to pen them up now.

Went over there Sunday to eat crow, apologize  and let him know I'm working on a pen that will house them more than just overnight.
They're not agressive at all, my 2 year old can chase them, just curious, stupid and poop where they aren't welcome.

Shame as they've kept ticks to zero over the summer whereas last year we had one or two a week. 8 acres of back lot, plenty of open space to my right and left and they go to the front and cross the street pissing off my neighbor.

/rant off.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey at least you acted on the issue quickly and it seems to be resolved. You are a good neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey at least you acted on the issue quickly and it seems to be resolved. You are a good neighbor.
View Quote
Not as quickly as he'd have liked.  Really tried over the last couple weeks to find other solutions.  They'd work for a few days, give me hope, then back across they went.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy the neighbor a gift certificate to a decent restaurant that has turkey on their menu. Make a joke out of it, have a laugh. Share a bottle of whiskey.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Buy the neighbor a gift certificate to a decent restaurant that has turkey on their menu. Make a joke out of it, have a laugh. Share a bottle of whiskey.
View Quote
Hell, I'll move over there and complain about turkey crap
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not making any excuses, I'm in the wrong not keeping the turkey over here.  I'm trying to do right and have thought of options make it up to him.  I did offer him one dressed and ready to eat come November, help with yard work etc.  Seems that wasn't an option, they don't do turkey on thanksgiving, and he does his own work.

He's a man that is wound tighter than most for some reason.  I'd bet I'm the talk of his workplace\coworkers\rant.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not making any excuses, I'm in the wrong not keeping the turkey over here.  I'm trying to do right and have thought of options make it up to him.  I did offer him one dressed and ready to eat come November, help with yard work etc.  Seems that wasn't an option, they don't do turkey on thanksgiving, and he does his own work.

He's a man that is wound tighter than most for some reason.  I'd bet I'm the talk of his workplace\coworkers\rant.
View Quote
What's his screen name?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not making any excuses, I'm in the wrong  I'd bet I'm the talk of his workplace\coworkers\rant.
View Quote
All the more reason to follow through with my suggestion. That way he will or might feel guilty about talking shit about you. It will at least work to change his perception of you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's his screen name?
View Quote
The thought has occurred.  He's more of a golf guy than firearms guy though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Must be something attracting them over there. Maybe he's got lots of ticks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Several years ago my next door neighbor got some chickens and they started coming over to our place and scratching all the mulch out of beds around the house.

We live out in the country and these were super good neighbors and I really didn't want to say anything.

Turns out the chickens were doing the same thing to the mulch in their yard and away they went.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
If I was the neighbor I'd be having free turkey dinners as long as the disgusting birds were on my property.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I have found that fences is contain turkeys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
They fly 11 to 12 feet up in the air.  Fences won't work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Must be something attracting them over there. Maybe he's got lots of ticks.
View Quote
Just curiosity.  Nothing to eat over there more than there is over here.  They do "like" humans.  Kinda like dogs in that way they always want to be close by.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Sherlock

Sherlock Strut by FredMan, on Flickr

Sherlock Gobble by FredMan, on Flickr

But I prefer these.  They require absolutely no care or maintenance, and they're fun to shoot!!

Flock Alert by FredMan, on Flickr

Strut 20170403 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#16]
How do you keep the domestics behind the electric fence?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I had burbans ones that were very flighty but my heritage birds have always stayed on the ground unless the dogs were chasing them.
unless I am late to close the coop door at night and which case they will all leave the coop and fly up into the tree next to it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like you need a 15' fence.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Want to keep them in the fence? Trim their wings so they can't fly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Semi serious question; have you considered invisible fencing?

Only two birds, it might actually be cheaper than building a covered pen.

Definitely need clipped wings.

Though I'm pretty sure there are systems with towers you can set proximity distances from them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's his screen name?
I've carried a pistol in my golf bag.......just sayin'.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They're beautiful.

Tag for what you figure out. I don't have anything to offer.  Wish I did.

ETA:  I do wonder if roaming free has taught them they CAN  roam, and if you penned them from day one (baby chicks) they might not.

I've raised exactly three turkeys, all who died young because of one issue or another, so I don't know if this is the same as chickens or not.
View Quote
They were penned up till 8 weeks old due to the cold here.

After 6 weeks they seem to be bulletproof.  I got 8 thinking I'd lose a few.  All have survived but one that got beat up really bad by another jake and I culled him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had burbans ones that were very flighty but my heritage birds have always stayed on the ground unless the dogs were chasing them.
unless I am late to close the coop door at night and which case they will all leave the coop and fly up into the tree next to it.
View Quote
These guys and gals fly up on the roof of the barn and house just for fun.  They may get heavier and stay grounded as they get older.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Though I'm pretty sure there are systems with towers you can set proximity distances from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were 8 birds till just recently.  Now there are 7.  3 jakes 4 females.  Doubt they're smart enough for the invisible fencing...
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
These guys and gals fly up on the roof of the barn and house just for fun.  They may get heavier and stay grounded as they get older.
View Quote
I found that they will fly up and down like that but not away not to the next feild etc. They don't like to fly but the like to be up.
Mine like roam the hills and clifs up to about 1200 yds and unless a dog chases them they walk or run.
Same with my chickens,  geese, and peahens.
Ducks stayed by the pond.
None cross the 3' fence around my wife's garden.
My guinea hens flew all over the damn place.
I only have a few birds now as I'm too busy but I want to figure out a dog that can Shepard them as I have so many predators that some days it feels like a three gun shoot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There were 8 birds till just recently.  Now there are 7.  3 jakes 4 females.  Doubt they're smart enough for the invisible fencing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to be smart to feel pain.

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#29]
You are much better than my neighbor with the roosters.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How do you keep the domestics behind the electric fence?
View Quote
There's only one, and he has a bunch of chickens for company.  He may honestly not even know that he can fly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Good job seeing the problem and doing something about it.

I can’t stand it when people let their animals run free off their property. Sometimes animals get loose, it happens to everyone and usually is no big deal. If someone lets them go free and doesn’t do anything about it, then the animals are fair game!!!  As long as they are trying to do something about it, it am usually ok and understand. I have had dogs break free before. I just can’t stand it when people try to argue with you when you let them know their animals are on your property. “Well, that’s an outdoor cat, he’s a mouser, he’s doing his job” “No he’s shitting in my wifes garden!”  I hate to hold an animal accountable for the failures of its owner.

Again, thanks for seeing the problem and trying to do something about it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd love to trade my neighbor out for you...

He has two pits that like to come over. One is aggressive and the other like to have his unwanted way with my Blind Basset Hound Ellie.

I've talked/texted both him and his wife more than a Dozen times now. Seem to work for a few weeks then one or the other (usually the K9 Rapist) is back over being a nuisance.

I think I'd welcome the turkeys.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:cross the street pissing off my neighbor.
View Quote
And now we know why the turkey crossed the road...
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Clip the big feathers on one wing, should stop that flying crap.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#36]
#JusticeforFelipe
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I found that they will fly up and down like that but not away not to the next feild etc. They don't like to fly but the like to be up.
View Quote
I have kicked up a few wild ones deer hunting, they fly like a fat guy runs.  Just because they can doesn't mean they like doing it.

They run as hard as they can to get speed up and sound like a helicoptor as they start pumping their wings.  They get into the air but barely, they have too high of wing loading for any maneuvers just yet so they just plow thru small trees until they get their airspeed up.  The whole thing sounds terrible and usually you about kick them (unknowingly) before the commotion starts.  And then after the tree branches settle they are gone, the deer are gone and the would be deer hunter is having a panic attack.

Only thing better is when a buddy is walking up to you and kicks one up. You can hear it coming at you thru the trees but can't see it and for sure don't want to get hit by the stupid thing...

Domestic turkeys are heavier, I don't think the storebought ones are even capable of flight.  I think a pen with high enough walls they can't get out of the tree plowing stage of flight would keep them grounded.  When full grown they will lose some of their sportiness in the air too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top