Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2020 9:09:42 PM EDT
I inherited some Norinco 308 China Sport
If it 30 years old it could be 40 years old!
Is this ammo good to go? Any reason not to shot it?
And NO! I'm not sending it to anyone to test it for me! LOL!!!

PITA45

P.S. A considerable amount!!! More then I may need!
But not as much as I would like to have!
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how it was stored. If stored well, it’s fine. I’d shoot it. Probably wouldn’t shoot it in my precision bolt gun but for plinking, I would.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Possibly corrosive so treat it as such when cleaning up after a shooting trip but other than that it's likely fine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
it's fine, shoot away and consider it corrosive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
GTG as said probably corrosive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd be careful with the .308, the other CS stuff wasn't corrosive. .45acp was cheap but very dirty, sooty as heck.

I think I still have a crate or two of the yellow box 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be careful with the .308, the other CS stuff wasn't corrosive. .45acp was cheap but very dirty, sooty as heck.

I think I still have a crate or two of the yellow box 9mm.
View Quote

I have about 4 boxes of the yellow box 5.56 and a wood crate 1200 rounds I think it is of the green box 7.62x39
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you open it to see what it looks like?  

What are you shooting it out of?  SKS? AK?

I would not hesitate to dump it downrange if it looks good!

Bill
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have about 800 rounds of German 8mm Mauser ammo in the original WWII boxes, been stored in ammo cans for years. Thought about digging out the K98 from the back of the safe and taking it to the range. I know that ammo is corrosive.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Concur with posters saying to treat most WW II, and somewhat later, as corrosive ammo.  M-1 Carbine being an exception as all of it was non-corrosive.

Some ammo collectors might be interested in some old ammo, so might be worthwhile to investigate.

Having a few old ctgs is of scant use, since they are likely to shoot to different POI from modern ctgs, bought in bulk.

OTOH, as mentioned, some rare ammo is valuable, so investigate before shooting it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Concur with posters saying to treat most WW II, and somewhat later, as corrosive ammo.  M-1 Carbine being an exception as all of it was non-corrosive.

Some ammo collectors might be interested in some old ammo, so might be worthwhile to investigate.

Having a few old ctgs is of scant use, since they are likely to shoot to different POI from modern ctgs, bought in bulk.

OTOH, as mentioned, some rare ammo is valuable, so investigate before shooting it.
View Quote

NO NO NO, there was some 1952 [52] ? LC marked .30 carbine sold quite awhile ago that was NOT LC and was most likely chinese and is absolutely corrosive. That crap will rust up the barrel and  the poppet valve very quickly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

NO NO NO, there was some 1952 [52] ? LC marked .30 carbine sold quite awhile ago that was NOT LC and was most likely chinese and is absolutely corrosive. That crap will rust up the barrel and  the poppet valve very quickly.
View Quote
OK.  First I've heard of it.  I was posting about USGI ammo initially, and not Chi-Com rip-offs.  Not doubting you, but can you supply some cites?
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OK.  First I've heard of it.  I was posting about USGI ammo initially, and not Chi-Com rip-offs.  Not doubting you, but can you supply some cites?
View Quote

CMP forum, box is marked 7.62 mm.

Absolutely 100% corrosive, has berdan primers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

CMP forum, box is marked 7.62 mm.

Absolutely 100% corrosive, has berdan primers.
View Quote
Thanks.  Goes to prove there is always an exception to every rule.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top