Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2020 3:40:19 PM EDT
  1. Attach SMA jumper cable to CH0 port, and use the female-female adapter to attach the little capped SMA connector that has the open cavity (no pin). Press CAL>CALIBRATE>OPEN. The highlighted button then moves down to SHORT.
  2. Attach the capped SMA connector that has a pin, but no insulator (all gold interior). Press SHORT. The highlighted button moves down to LOAD.
  3. Attach the silver colored capped SMA connector that is longer than the others (has a 50 ohm resistor inside). Press LOAD>DONE>SAVE 0 (or whatever save number you prefer). Then press BACK>BACK to get to the main menu.
Your NanoVNA is now calibrated and you can begin measuring.

1. You will now set a low and high limit frequency to sweep. The NanoVNA will gather 101 scan points between the two limits, so the greater the spread, the less reolution you'll have. Press STIMULUS>START>(enter desired frequency>M for Mhz, k for kilohertz, G for gigahertz), menu will close. Tap screen again and press STOP>(enter desired frequency as before), menu will close. By default you should be seeing the Smith Chart with your impedance reading at the top of the screen. You can drag the yellow triangle along the curved line to measure the impedance at various points along your frequency sweep, or use the rocker switch at the top to move it incrementally.
  2. Tap screen, press BACK to get to the main menu. Press DISPLAY>FORMAT>SWR. You should now see a nice line across the screen that displays the SWR across the frequency sweep that you defined in the previous step. Slide the yellow triangle cursor to view SWR at various frequencies, or use the rocker switch.
Additional Pro Tips:
  • Turn off all but Trace 0 under the DISPLAY menu
  • Use the tip of a 5.56 cartridge or your wife's bobby pin as a stylus to manipulate the tiny buttons
  • Having a selection of SMA/BNC/SO-239 adapters will make life easier

If you want to know how to do anything else, I'm not your man...

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
To emphasize your point, make sure the range you are sweeping is small and relevant. If you want a general idea you can sweep 1.6-30 or whatever but don't use those settings to trim an antenna as the steps can be pretty coarse. With the pc software you can specify the steps, I don't know that you can do that from the panel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Good post. The one thing that threw me at first (that I probably screwed up by tapping stuff, early on) was my trace was at the very top of (and off) the screen - I needed to shrink SWR "points" (horizontal lines) down so it appeared to look "normal".

I finally did something (no idea) and got it right (below), but maybe the instructions on how to do that, would help any "crazy tappers"

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips, I have some experience on a big Network Analyzer but that was long long ago. I'm going to get the big dipole in the air today, checking it out with the analyzer will be part of the fun as will comparing it to the trusty MFJ 259B.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been wanting an analyzer for a while but I don't really NEED one.

I did a quick search on amazon and found a bunch for about $100-150. Is there a good source for these?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did a quick search on amazon and found a bunch for about $100-150. Is there a good source for these?
View Quote

@LT_Beaker
I can't give you a specific source but E-bay is where they first started appearing. Be mindful of what you are getting, some were with out cases or batteries. In short, shop for the most well equipped unit including cases, batteries, adapters to the PL-259 perhaps the most recent hardware upgrade. I'm sure some of the guys can be more specific on the cautions for buyers.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's the one a lot of us just bought. I'm sure they're working on getting more units into inventory: http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=75127
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys! I'll check it out!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Crazy talk!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went with AURSINC on Amazon, and it is a quality unit. This was about 5 months ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You just don't know you need one ;)

I picked one of these things up just because they were cheap, figured it'd be fun to screw around with. Turns out it's a pretty useful tool that gets utilized often.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I went with AURSINC on Amazon, and it is a quality unit. This was about 5 months ago.
View Quote
Thanks everyone! I fent.

Will have to check back here to learn how to use it
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Hangfire...

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I never realized the importance of return loss, which is the component of SWR, until a friend told me to look at it. I was trying to look at pass bands and what not on filters and you can't really see it until you look at the return loss. Once you get your mind around it you see what's going on and it all starts to make sense. These things are freaking amazing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Good post, thanks OP!

Finally got some time to mess with it a little.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks!

I usually hook it up to a laptop and run the program.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
decided to finally get one of these. hope to tune some cheap VHF antenna and maybe some RC stuff.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Also worth noting... Do that OSL cal at the point you're actually interested in measuring.  

If you're interested in the antenna, but you've got a feedline and a polyphaser in place along with a few adapters... do that OSL cal at the connection to the antenna, then plug the antenna in.  Put some thought into what you're actually measuring, do the cals and make the measurement.

Did a sweep of some equipment at work yesterday, both RL/SWR and trans.meas.  Need to pull those sweeps and kick out a report/xls/csv...

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 1:38:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Also worth noting... Do that OSL cal at the point you're actually interested in measuring.  

If you're interested in the antenna, but you've got a feedline and a polyphaser in place along with a few adapters... do that OSL cal at the connection to the antenna, then plug the antenna in.  Put some thought into what you're actually measuring, do the cals and make the measurement.

Did a sweep of some equipment at work yesterday, both RL/SWR and trans.meas.  Need to pull those sweeps and kick out a report/xls/csv...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Work/i-rMGw5M4/0/8cb661bd/L/i-rMGw5M4-L.jpg
View Quote
I just saw that OP mentioned using the jumper when calibrating. I didnt do that but used the cable when testing the antenna. good tip. Ill recal and test again in the Am. curious how much diff it makes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just saw that OP mentioned using the jumper when calibrating. I didnt do that but used the cable when testing the antenna. good tip. Ill recal and test again in the Am. curious how much diff it makes.
View Quote

It'll probably be significant.  VNA's need that OSL cal to get a good reading at the point that OSL cal happened.  
8753 at the office "remembers" cal fairly well, if I don't change feedlines/ports around it does well at the ends of those cables even after a few power cycles.
My Sitemaster's not as good, but it's easy enough to mash the "Start Cal" button and do that OSL cal before making the measurements.  That gets used for all sorts of measurements anyways, so even if it was on par with the 8753 i'd still be doing cal probably every time I fired it up anyways.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#22]
any idea how usable this is at the upper range? say 915mhz and 1.3ghz
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
@SimpleScout

Thanks for posting. I just ordered one of these things.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#24]
do you need to recalibrate each time I use the unit? Or how often should I do it?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
do you need to recalibrate each time I use the unit? Or how often should I do it?
View Quote

The calibration is stored in whichever channel you select, so it 'should' be saved.
I've calibrated mine, hooked it up to my PC and rechecked an antenna a week later, just for S&G's and had identical test results.
Having said that, I spend 30 seconds and recal. before each use.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine has to be calibrated every time I use it. For the price it is a great tool, but I’d rather have a full sized antenna analyzer. The touch screen sucks, even when calibrated and using a stylus, the rocker switch is equally bad, and mine rarely takes the frequency range I try to set for it. I usually just use my SWR meter to tune antennas because it’s way less hassle than using it.
Once I have an SMA to PL-259 adapter, associated coax, etc. between it & the antenna it’s just a guess anyway.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mine has to be calibrated every time I use it. For the price it is a great tool, but I’d rather have a full sized antenna analyzer. The touch screen sucks, even when calibrated and using a stylus, the rocker switch is equally bad, and mine rarely takes the frequency range I try to set for it. I usually just use my SWR meter to tune antennas because it’s way less hassle than using it.
Once I have an SMA to PL-259 adapter, associated coax, etc. between it & the antenna it’s just a guess anyway.
View Quote

Why can't you save the cal to one of the cal memories?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top