Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2018 6:25:25 PM EDT
Waterfowl hunting regulations are pretty clear that you can't be in immediate posession of lead based ammo while hunting waterfowl.

Recently the bear population has increased dramatically around here (grizzly bears)  many of the places we hunt are now prone to having bears in close proximity.  I was thinking it might be a good idea to carry a couple 12 ga slugs in case you find yourself in an area where there may be a bear.  It would be more of a oh shit we probably ought to work out way out of this area because something is not right, load a couple slugs and beat feet.  Obviously in an actual bear encounter you would not have time to unload and load.

Question is how much trouble are you going to be in if the fish and game cops do a license and ammo check and find you in possession of a lead slug?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
They're gonna hang you.  Even if you tell them the bear protection story.

If you're really worried about the bears pack along a super-magnum revolver.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The same amount as you'd be if they found a round of #4 lead.
View Quote
Sadly I think you're correct.  I guess they could argue you could be sniping at stationary geese at long range.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Carry lead free slugs or Tungsten buckshot.
Either way, you're still in possession of shot larger than F size, so against federal regulations for waterfowl.
I'd place a phone call to both the state and USFWS wardens in the area you primarily hunt and discuss what your best option is for lethal bear protection with lowest risk of getting a ticket.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
as others have said....no tox shot.  Heck, solid copper slugs have been sold in big box sporting goods stores for years.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
can't you carry a handgun with you and keep it concealed? If you call the wardens they will probably tell you carry pepper spray.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
can't you carry a handgun with you and keep it concealed? If you call the wardens they will probably tell you carry pepper spray.
View Quote
Virginia specifically allows CCW while hunting, if you've got the permit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top