Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2018 7:40:47 PM EDT
I have an  X-Stand brand ? The Duke model. It's an 18' ladder stand. Very comfortable stand. My issue is when the tree rocks from wind, the stand makes a popping noise. It spooks the deer. All fasteners use lock nylon nuts with poly washers.
It seems that stand requiring assembly of multiple components may be the issue. All those parts create joints that move ever so slightly.
The stand is strapped very tight to the tree. It uses the pinch type grip in two locations.

Any ideas on making a nice stand quieter?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
That is the problem with ladder stands, they contact the ground and the tree that moves, they are always noisy.

Climbing stands are much quieter. Crazy part I noticed is they are noisier when your in them because of your weight pushing down on the legs.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Wheel bearing grease at the male/female ladder contact points. (Smelly )

Depending on how loose the fit is you could wrap the male plug with Jean/Levi's fabric or tape.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
We have plenty of steel ladder stands that are quiet, even getting into them.

A few where the ladder makes some noise getting into it then all quiet.

The key to keeping the lm quiet seems to be putting enough pressure on the legs to stop movement.

Try digging out the legs and putting a piece of treated 2x6 or bigger underneath.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a bigger tree.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The only ladder stands that didn't make noise on windy days were brand new ones.  Seems all the ladder stands I've ever sat in after 3 years or so were noisy.

I don't like them anyway.  Get a hang on if you don't move the stand often.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If your issue is where the ladder steps connect to each other, use a ratchet strap and connect it to the top rung and Bottom Rung and tighten it up. Most of the noise from my ladder stands come from where they connect
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 16 ladder stands up at the farm.   Most are quiet with the exception of climbing in / out.  most squeak from the movement.

Only thing I have found to stop the noise is to tighten the bolts very tight, Most of mine have some crushing of the steel frame.

Now the pin together ladder sections, not much you can do.

When I set up the stands I use ratchet straps, not the pull tight ones.  Get the straps as tight as possible, then I wiggle the stand left to right and dig in the teeth, then tighten the strap again.

I have trees from 8 - 24"  that we lean against.  The big ones are easy.  The smaller ones are a pain.

On the smaller trees I strap the seat with one strap and the foot rest with another.  Then use 2 long straps that run from the highest step around the tree to the 2nd lowest step.  Forming an X with the straps.

Even with my 2 man stands this seems to work.  although my brother was complaining yesterday that my stand squeaked and chased of a deer that was 10 yards behind him.  My bro weighs 350+ lbs.  I told him there are limits.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I wrapped my entire ladder stand in camo duct tape.   It helped.  I also would push the ladder down into the ground before strapping it to the tree.  This also gives some flex to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top