Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2021 10:04:55 PM EDT
For more than a month my 25 chickens have been giving me 2 eggs/day.  I'm guessing it is because they are molting because there are feathers everywhere.  A friend of mine has 9 chickens that are molting and he's getting 9 eggs/day.  What is going on?!!?  We can't supply our customers like this.

Damn welfare recipients.  :(
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy oregano oil and add it to their water. Feathers will get back to normal ASAP and they will start laying again
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Molting like you said but that's pretty bad in my limited experience. We usually get about 1/2 egg laying while they molt.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:52:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Anything else that would stop the whole flock?  I read that I need to bump the protein up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I you have 25 birds all molting at the same time, yeah that is unusual.   I put porcelain eggs I get from the feed store into the mounting hen's nest. Then I'll move the hen and check for eggs as normal.  

They get a little pissy, when you move them around when molting, but hell they're chickens, wear gloves.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I you have 25 birds all molting at the same time, yeah that is unusual.   I put porcelain eggs I get from the feed store into the mounting hen's nest. Then I'll move the hen and check for eggs as normal.  

They get a little pissy, when you move them around when molting, but hell they're chickens, wear gloves.
View Quote
I think you are confusing molting for brooding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top