Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2020 11:18:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0002s]
Hunt from this week.

Nilgai 8 & 8 1/4 and Axis 34 and some change.

The Axis stacked up immediately w/ double lung shot @ 100 yds.  Lungs looked destroyed.  Big pile of connected mush.  I expected this with the 212's.  Overkill.

The Nilgai was 210ish yards uphill with 10ish" of the top line of the back exposed over a ridge line.  He was slightly quartered towards me.  I was on shooting sticks.  The shot hit even with and right behind the left front shoulder.  The bullet passed through the left lung and destroyed it.  It continued to the spine (diameter of a tennis ball) and broke it. Then it changed angles and messed up the right lung.  Not as bad as the left.  From the scope the Nilgai gave the impression of W..T...... and then stacked up.  I was impressed by the round and the bullet.  I was unable to find the bullet in the gut pile.  I confess to not looking that hard.  We did cut the spine to see the bullets path.  There was little copper fragmenting so the bullet held together well.  The WUMP on the Nilgai was impressive.  Definitely a great round.  I suspect once Ruger/Savage/TC/Mossberg start turning out $500ish rifles in this caliber it will become the Magnum Jesusmoor in it's following.  Definitely a great one gun for anything anywhere, excluding 4 out of the Big 5.

300 PRC 212 ELD-X over 77.5 gr RETUMBO @ 2845 FPS

Bergara Premier Highlander / Swarovski 1.7-13.3x42 / APA GEN 3 LB

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a good time.  Thanks for the write-up and awesome pics.  Definitely a round that has grabbed my interest.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3BP:
Looks like a good time.  Thanks for the write-up and awesome pics.  Definitely a round that has grabbed my interest.
View Quote

Aside from the obvious long range target shooting, this round is going to catch on quick with hunters, once inexpensive rifles become available. A good brake will run you a couple of hundred.

Thanks

Browning (least expensive), Christian and Bergara offer, somewhat available, hunting rifles right now.

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been working on trying to decide between Nilgai and Axis for this summer and here you are with both.

What feedback do you have on the outfitter?
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NDWoods:
I have been working on trying to decide between Nilgai and Axis for this summer and here you are with both.

What feedback do you have on the outfitter?
View Quote

Nilgai is more elusive due to the nature of the terrain on this ranch.  Axis are plentiful and there are legitimate 35"-36"+ opportunities.  You will see a lot of 32"+  No lack of seriously good Axis Bucks in the 34" range.

The Ranch and Accommodations are first class.  Chef prepared meals that use game meat from ranch. Open Bar stock with top shelf. Pool and hot tub.  Bass fishing and skeet shooting.  Pool table and Big Buck video game.  Rooms are dude ranch feeling hotel rooms with two queen beds.  You're not roughing it at all.

You will not be rushed through the hunting process and there are no hidden fees.  World record 'X' is same price as 'X' on the sheet.  Whitetail are tiered by score for price.  You can choose your style of hunt.  Bow or Rifle (gas or bolt or suppressed).  Thermal/night.  Stand or stalk.  They will accommodate you as long as they can.  Really great people and the owner is a great guy as well. 10,000ish acres of differing terrain and cover.  You will see hundreds of head of game on a three day hunt.  You are not limited to what you can shoot as long as you are not limited by your wallet....lol

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks bud
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top