Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2021 3:21:11 PM EDT
Looking to get a nice wood and steel rifle for hunting. Most of the newer rifles seem to be cheaper made or have a bunch of plastic parts. Anybody have any experience with the newer super grade or Alaskan model 70? Just wondering how it compares to the pre 64 70s. May look for a used older one or possibly something else too. Just not wanting another composite stocked rifle or something made with cheaper parts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Aside from the box trigger they are the best model 70s ever made. Even the late model CRF guns were better than the Pre-64s.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking to get a nice wood and steel rifle for hunting. Most of the newer rifles seem to be cheaper made or have a bunch of plastic parts. Anybody have any experience with the newer super grade or Alaskan model 70? Just wondering how it compares to the pre 64 70s. May look for a used older one or possibly something else too. Just not wanting another composite stocked rifle or something made with cheaper parts.
View Quote
The Alaskan models and safari express models are  90% of what a pre 64 rifle is/was. They have crf, hood front sight, rear flip down sight, really nice factory triggers (they come set about 4.5 pounds out of the factory with no creep), jeweled bolts, a bedded recoil lug under the barrel band (on larger caliber rifles), and my personal favorite they weigh around 12 pounds loaded with ammo. You can hold 3+1 on the 375 based cartridges. You really can't go wrong with them. That's probably why they discod the models.

im partial to the safari express models for my big guns.

edit- just saw your avatar, took my first buff with a safari express model 70 in 416, my Ph bought exactly the same rifle based on my recommendation so you can I say I trust these rifles a lot lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aside from the box trigger they are the best model 70s ever made. Even the late model CRF guns were better than the Pre-64s.
View Quote
100% agree, them getting rid of the 3rd screw and modernizing it just enough to make it bulletproof.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
They're exceptional, well made hunting rifles.  The actions are also really smooth compared to the other existing CRF actions like the Ruger M77 and the discontinued CZ 550s.  All metal, no plastic on them.  Wood is usually pretty nice.  The ones I have had shot MOA so perfect for hunting.

I've had a few Safari Express rifles, a few Extreme Weathers, and an Alaskan.  They're probably my favorite factory hunting rifle.  I've handled and shot them all - Sako, Weatherby, Winchester, Tikka, Browning, etc.  The only factory rifles I'd say are slightly better than the current Model 70s are the Sako 85 and Weatherby Mark V.  And even then I'd put a current Winchester Model 70 just barely a tier below them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Iv been trying to find an Alaskan in 30-06 for over a year with no luck, Iv seen used ones in .375. I’d look at the Bergerac B14, or weatherby vanguard. The bergara’s have excellent reviews.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the South Carolina featherweights and it’s been good. No experience with the Portugal model 70s but they seem to be good quality.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you looking for a .375 H&H?

If so, I’d keep an eye out for a BRNO ZKK-602 or a CZ 550.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top