Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2020 10:06:37 AM EDT
So I've been on a guided trip and would like to get my own gear.  

I'm in Texas, and will primarily be fishing the hill country and would like to focus on Bass.  Guadalupe Bass, Small Mouth Bass, and maybe some Large Mouth, though we have plenty of Sunnies and other stuff that I wouldnt turn down just to get out of the house and have some fun fishing.
I'd also like to do some trips for Trout, but that'll be few and far between.  

Everyone seems to recommend a weight 5-6 rod, but which?  Looking into TFO's Pro-II since its got a lifetime warranty and is a medium/fast action.  (seems to be well rounded, correct me if I'm wrong)
Fortunately, I already have a reel, and seems to be a decent one, in the 5/6 size range.  (Redington Rise)

The next question is Fly-line.  Seems for most beginners a weight forward floating line is suggested.  But again, the options are immense.  I dont know where to begin and trying not to break the bank.  Was looking at Orvis's Clearwater since its around $45 but dont have a clue if its a good option or not.  

Anyways any help would be great.  Many thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You spend the most money the closer to the fly you are. What that means is this, the fly line is much more important than the reel.

Not all fly lines are created equal either. A so so rod with a line that "fits" it will do better than a top of the line rod paired with a line that does not. Price is now always indicative of the better line for a rod. Depending on the exact make and model of rod, some rods prefer true to weight lines and some prefer heavier lines. Some lines are true to weight and some are 1 to even 2 times the given AFTMA line weight.

Buy the rod first and determine which line(s) work better with it. You can ask around of those that have that rod or better yet visit your local fly shop if you are fortunate enough to have one.

TFO rods are some of the best bang for the buck. But be aware that right now a lot of fly fishing makers (rods, reels, lines, etc.) have been hard hit by COVID 19 and this includes both domestic and foreign makers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
For the money TFOs aren't bad.  I got my wife a TFO Mangrove 8# for bonefishing and I thought it casted well.  Also keep in mind a person who has limited experience is likely not going to notice the differences in a $500 dollar rod compared to a $1000 dollar rod.  My advice get a rod with a warranty.  Fish the heck out of it maybe even use that warranty a few times and then decide if a super expensive rod makes sense for you.  I have gotten the opportunity to fish lots of high end rods.  I liked RL Winston, Orvis, and Sage.  But when it really comes down to it, especially in warm freshwatter fishing I can catch the same fish with a $200 rod as I can with $1000 one.  The benefits become more apparent when having to throw a big heavy rod in a strong wind all day on the ocean, Or having to delicately place a dry fly in a tight spot to very spooky trout.   If my main target species is bass I would go with a 6wt.  It will be easier to throw big poppers and bigger sized streamers.  If half trout and half bass then the 5wt is the best all around wt.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Another issue that has come into play with fishing gear and fly fishing as well is availability. COVID has killed production both in this country and overseas. It is still having an impact as there are more people fishing these days as well. As an example, in my home state of TN, we have sold an all time record high of licenses so far this year. The trend that has been going on for the last 10-15 years has been a decline, now there is much more demand as people got shut down and now have figured out how to enjoy the outdoors.

So, whatever you can get, you best get it because waiting will likely leave you with no choices.

As an aside, Orvis (not that they are the be all end all) has many items backordered with delivery not expected until next year. Other companies are experiencing the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
My TFO Pro 8'6" 4 weight is probably one of my favorite fly rods.  Casts beautifully, awesome construction, not too fast for a beginner.  I have no idea where the "You must have a WF flyline" became gospel.  Unless you're routinely casting over 50ft, there is absolutely no need for a weight forward line!  Up to that distance, WF's an DT's are pretty much equivalent!  I've been flyfishing for over 40 years, and still rarely cast over 50 ft.  Short casts are easier to mend and control!
Pm me if you want to talk more...dont listen to the Sage or nothing, don't bother if it aint WF crowd!

Dave
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If I may jump in on this: took a 101 and river side class and would like to get some equipment. I think I'd be mostly at smaller streams/rivers in the back country, after trout. A 3-4wt should be fine right? I'd rather pay for the more premium stuff now, within reason. Would a RECON® 4-WEIGHT 8'6" 4-PIECE FLY ROD be OK? (Looking at Orvis site).

What are the accessories I truly need? Snips and net? Not looking for waiters just yet.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I may jump in on this: took a 101 and river side class and would like to get some equipment. I think I'd be mostly at smaller streams/rivers in the back country, after trout. A 3-4wt should be fine right? I'd rather pay for the more premium stuff now, within reason. Would a RECON® 4-WEIGHT 8'6" 4-PIECE FLY ROD be OK? (Looking at Orvis site).

What are the accessories I truly need? Snips and net? Not looking for waiters just yet.
View Quote

I don’t know if that rod would serve your purposes or not as I don’t know your area and pretty much everyone’s “smaller streams/rivers” can vary wildly. But that being said, the absolute best bang for the buck rod wise is the Redington Classic Trout. They make several variations regarding lengths and weights but for $150 or so it fishes very well. I would strongly recommend starting with that as you most likely will buy more rods for varying conditions and streams.

One other things about rods. You can have the absolute great rod but without having a line that pairs well worth it will make it cast/fish like shit. All fly lines are not created equally. There are many factors that go into selecting the best line for a rod. Your local fly shop is the best place to start.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don’t know if that rod would serve your purposes or not as I don’t know your area and pretty much everyone’s “smaller streams/rivers” can vary wildly. But that being said, the absolute best bang for the buck rod wise is the Redington Classic Trout. They make several variations regarding lengths and weights but for $150 or so it fishes very well. I would strongly recommend starting with that as you most likely will buy more rods for varying conditions and streams.

One other things about rods. You can have the absolute great rod but without having a line that pairs well worth it will make it cast/fish like shit. All fly lines are not created equally. There are many factors that go into selecting the best line for a rod. Your local fly shop is the best place to start.
View Quote

Thanks. That's a good idea. I'll stop by my local shop and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks. That's a good idea. I'll stop by my local shop and see what they have to say.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a good place to start.

But getting back to your original question about the rod. What do you plan on using the most? Nymphs, dries, dry/dropper, streamers? This will dictate a lot to the correct weight rod you would need.

I have seen guys frankly who could take a dogwood branch, a shoelace and a safety pin and catch fish (me not being one of them). You can go as fancy or basic as you want. At the end of the day it is all about having fun, remember that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is a good place to start.

But getting back to your original question about the rod. What do you plan on using the most? Nymphs, dries, dry/dropper, streamers? This will dictate a lot to the correct weight rod you would need.

I have seen guys frankly who could take a dogwood branch, a shoelace and a safety pin and catch fish (me not being one of them). You can go as fancy or basic as you want. At the end of the day it is all about having fun, remember that.
View Quote

All good points. I think dry flies to start since that's what we did in the class.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I was strictly a dry fly fisherman for years. That was how my dad was and how I learned.

But think about this statistic, 90% of a trout's diet is obtained below water. Namely nymphs. My point being, learn how to nymph and dry/dropper it will really up your catch rate.

Although I have never fished in CO, here in TN and the southeast where I fish, fly hatches only occur at certain times of the year and can be quite lean. Get below the surface as well, that is where the bulk of their diet comes from.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

An 864-4 is a great all-around trout rod.  It will fit 90% of trout fishing applications across the country.  If you’re going to get a single rod to start, a 4wt or 5wt is best for trout to match all circumstances.  4wt is light enough that you can run smaller patterns and flies and go after smaller fish in smaller waters.  It also allows you to run in most major waters without an issue if the wind isn’t too bad.  A 5wt starts to give you some backbone to cast in windy conditions, or to start throwing larger streamers or terrestrials.  However, what you’ll find with fly fishing is that you will want to run multiple fly rods on a trip if you get into it pretty seriously.  

I’m a fan of buying better rods from the start, but everyone has a budget and there are ways to get good rods in the middle and lower budget ranges.  I have my preferences for rod action, and the more expensive rod companies tend to offer a wider array of options for every niche.  I can tell the difference between a $180 rod,  $340 rod and a $900 rod, but when you’re new to fly fishing, you won’t know what to look for.  New fisherman really don’t know what rod action they prefer, or what kind of eyelets, grip or reel design/feel they want.  

A vest, waist pack or chest pack is a must.  Chest packs, minimalist vests and waist packs are good for when you’re within a mile or two of your vehicle and you won’t have a need for an additional rod/reel setup, or any day trip or overnight survival gear.  A chest/back pack combo or vest are ideal if you plan on needing to carry enough items for a full day trip out, or overnight survival if needed.  It really depends on the terrain and time of year you’re going out.  I run a FishPond Wasatch Tech Vest, which has a rear pack feature on it.  It has a 3L water reservoir with tube, GPS, spare batteries, trauma kit, space blanket, fire starter kit, signal whistle device, TP, hand sanitizer, some high calorie survival snacks, and a spare reel.  It has a strap system on the side for carrying a spare rod tube, and most days I carry a second rod in with me when I go.  I run one of three combo loadouts for trout, depending on the time of year or the stream/river.  

Polarized sunglasses are a must.  Polarization is not the same across brands, as some brands outright suck, others are functional, and a few are outstanding.  I ran junky ones at first and they did poorly.  I picked up some Oakleys and they worked for years.  Then a couple years ago I was given a demo of Maui Jim polarized glass lenses by one of their reps and I compared it to my Oakleys, and HOLY SHIT was it a massive difference.  Maui Jim were vastly superior and I when I took them fishing, I started seeing things in the streams that I had never seen before.  Imagine how nuts it was the first time I took them flats fishing for bonefish in Mexico... That was beyond a night and day difference.  Maui Jim and Costa with GLASS lenses (not polycarbonate) are going to have the best polarization for fishing.  They make a big difference.  I’m especially a fan of Maui Jim because they’re still an independent company.  

Some tools to have-
Tie-Fast Knot-Tying Tool
Hemostat/forceps
Leatherman (Skeletool is my favorite, built-in clip)
Line nipper on a zinger
Spare zinger
Floatant shaker
Strike indicators
Spare split-shot weight or weight putty
Space blanket
Additional survival items as needed
Medical/trauma items as needed (always a TQ at a minimum for me)
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

An 864-4 is a great all-around trout rod.  It will fit 90% of trout fishing applications across the country.  If you’re going to get a single rod to start, a 4wt or 5wt is best for trout to match all circumstances.  4wt is light enough that you can run smaller patterns and flies and go after smaller fish in smaller waters.  It also allows you to run in most major waters without an issue if the wind isn’t too bad.  A 5wt starts to give you some backbone to cast in windy conditions, or to start throwing larger streamers or terrestrials.  However, what you’ll find with fly fishing is that you will want to run multiple fly rods on a trip if you get into it pretty seriously.  

I’m a fan of buying better rods from the start, but everyone has a budget and there are ways to get good rods in the middle and lower budget ranges.  I have my preferences for rod action, and the more expensive rod companies tend to offer a wider array of options for every niche.  I can tell the difference between a $180 rod,  $340 rod and a $900 rod, but when you’re new to fly fishing, you won’t know what to look for.  New fisherman really don’t know what rod action they prefer, or what kind of eyelets, grip or reel design/feel they want.  

A vest, waist pack or chest pack is a must.  Chest packs, minimalist vests and waist packs are good for when you’re within a mile or two of your vehicle and you won’t have a need for an additional rod/reel setup, or any day trip or overnight survival gear.  A chest/back pack combo or vest are ideal if you plan on needing to carry enough items for a full day trip out, or overnight survival if needed.  It really depends on the terrain and time of year you’re going out.  I run a FishPond Wasatch Tech Vest, which has a rear pack feature on it.  It has a 3L water reservoir with tube, GPS, spare batteries, trauma kit, space blanket, fire starter kit, signal whistle device, TP, hand sanitizer, some high calorie survival snacks, and a spare reel.  It has a strap system on the side for carrying a spare rod tube, and most days I carry a second rod in with me when I go.  I run one of three combo loadouts for trout, depending on the time of year or the stream/river.  

Polarized sunglasses are a must.  Polarization is not the same across brands, as some brands outright suck, others are functional, and a few are outstanding.  I ran junky ones at first and they did poorly.  I picked up some Oakleys and they worked for years.  Then a couple years ago I was given a demo of Maui Jim polarized glass lenses by one of their reps and I compared it to my Oakleys, and HOLY SHIT was it a massive difference.  Maui Jim were vastly superior and I when I took them fishing, I started seeing things in the streams that I had never seen before.  Imagine how nuts it was the first time I took them flats fishing for bonefish in Mexico... That was beyond a night and day difference.  Maui Jim and Costa with GLASS lenses (not polycarbonate) are going to have the best polarization for fishing.  They make a big difference.  I’m especially a fan of Maui Jim because they’re still an independent company.  

Some tools to have-
Tie-Fast Knot-Tying Tool
Hemostat/forceps
Leatherman (Skeletool is my favorite, built-in clip)
Line nipper on a zinger
Spare zinger
Floatant shaker
Strike indicators
Spare split-shot weight or weight putty
Space blanket
Additional survival items as needed
Medical/trauma items as needed (always a TQ at a minimum for me)
View Quote

Great info. I appreciate it. Still need to get to my local shop. I'm heading out to one of the popular ski resorts for the holidays and want to try my hand while I'm out in the area, assuming everything isn't frozen over. Can you ice-flyfish?

Also, I got the Maui's myself last year and they are great.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:08:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Great info. I appreciate it. Still need to get to my local shop. I'm heading out to one of the popular ski resorts for the holidays and want to try my hand while I'm out in the area, assuming everything isn't frozen over. Can you ice-flyfish?

Also, I got the Maui's myself last year and they are great.
View Quote

Several states have a winter fly fishing season.  Here in MN and next door in WI, we have a season in January that coincides with some midge and black stonefly hatches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top