Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 7:29:19 PM EDT
So I've always been a glutton for punishment, so much so I'm on my second marriage.  It started when people laughed at my 30/30 marlin that dad gave me, and said to man up and get a 270.  Ever since, I've had the need to get bigger guns.  I thought the 300rum in a sporter rifle, no brake would do it, but nope.  I thought the 375H&H would, heck that was easier to shoot.  I thought one of my two marlin 1895's would do it, considering the crappy recoil pads they use, while hot loads are intense, the recoil wasn't so bad once I put real recoil pads on them.  So, I finally after all these years, went big bore.  Picked up a 416 rem in a M70 safari, got it transferred from Buds last Friday.  Loaded up 5 rounds of 350gr Speers over Re15, and 5 rounds of 400gr Barnes TSX over some Re15.  Guess Wednesday I'll venture out to the range and see if I can hurt myself, lol.  I'm smart enough to do it standing, and not on the bench.  Question is, will I cry, or will I go looking for a Lott?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
There's something missing from this thread OP
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheDevilYouLove:
There's something missing from this thread OP
View Quote

Yeah, you are right.  I'll see about some photos Wednesday.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Wimp gun, you need a .458 Lott
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By snakeman48:
Wimp gun, you need a .458 Lott
View Quote

Baby steps first
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Your reply got a chuckle out of me.

I have a 300RUM in a Remington Sendero, first version, and another in the RMEF Model edition. Them guns kick ass from the bench.
All I can manage is about 20 rounds on each shoulder, and I have a PAST strap on recoil pad to help tame it.
The 300 RUM  Sendero was bought for an ELK hunt that ended up being a "high altitude walk about".

I always lusted after a 416 Rem. Almost bought one on GB last year. Just didn't think it was necessary for White Tails.

Sounds like a nice gun. Waiting on the RRA, as per ARFCOM rules, pictures.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:46:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigtwinlvr] [#7]
There's some photos.  I've been lusting for this gun for a number of years.  Waited too long last year to catch one in stock.  Local shops rarely have a safari model, and when they do, its a 375.  I really struggled, trying to decide, 458 or 416.  I finally decided to be different and go 416.  If this thing doesn't knock me into next week, I may go for a 458 win next, in the same rifle.  I'll decide then if I should have it punched out to a Lott or not.  Trigger is nice on this, rivals my 300rum which is a New Haven M70 with a filed and adjusted trigger.  I can shoot boxes of 375 standing, and can do a box of it on a bench coupled with my rum, I'm pretty confident I can tame this animal standing.  If all goes well, then I'll look at getting a couple more boxes of norma brass for it(hornady is made of unobtanium), and maybe a low power scope with quick releases.  Now who wants to go to the range with me and get their laugh?

eta: Nice thing is, for the price, you get two crossbolts, a three position safety, and barrel band, compared to the CZ, for almost the same price.  Only plus of the CZ, it's a true magnum mauser and can digest 5 rounds of H&H cases(375, 458 win and 458 lott)
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I survived the trip to the range. Didn't bother to shoot from a bench. Standing, it was comparable to my guidegun loaded hot, before I changed recoil pads. It will take a bit to get used to, that's for sure!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Bigtwinlvr:

Well I survived the trip to the range. Didn't bother to shoot from a bench. Standing, it was comparable to my guidegun loaded hot, before I changed recoil pads. It will take a bit to get used to, that's for sure!
View Quote
If you get something big enough running at you you won't notice the recoil OP.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I got to work on my big bore shooting form more.  That and practice, I'll get there.  It definitely is not a 375!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:48:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crash700] [#11]
I have that exact model of rifle and love it with the exception of buying factory ammo. I also have it in 375 H&H. I truly have no reason for both, but have a love for the 375 H&H (have 2). The brother in law insisted that we get 416 Rem Mags and away we went. They are heavy enough that recoil is not bad at all from a standing position, the bench is not so pleasant for me. I think that you will enjoy the 416RM, but if its not enough in the recoil department, good luck in your search for the Lott, which will get your attention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top