Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2020 9:07:20 PM EDT
ETA sorry for all the pics being sideways

Picked up a generator a couple years ago that needed a bit of work. Haven’t really had time to work on it until recently.

1943 US Army Signal Corps 1500 W Kohler generator 1 M21-A

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It hadn’t run in years, maybe decades and needed to be totally torn down.

4 cylinder with 2” bore and 3” stroke

Attachment Attached File

The valves look horrible in this picture but actually cleaned up pretty nice and seal well

Attachment Attached File

Looking up at the crank/cam shafts

Attachment Attached File

The oil sump was full of sludge

Attachment Attached File

Top of the head. Looks pretty ugly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool.

I want another project, that one looks fun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
A little time in the parts  washer and sand blaster makes a huge difference in appearance.

Attachment Attached File

Oil pump in the back corner.

Attachment Attached File

Mounted onto its new transportation

Attachment Attached File

This oil Pan is filled by a line from the oil pump and the crank bearings dip into the grooves as they spin. The main bearings are pressure lubed and the oil lines feed the rockers, cam/crank gears, and governor

Attachment Attached File

They cleaned head ready for valves etc. 9/16” wrench fire scale.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
This to me is the coolest part of the whole project. Cast into the inside of the flywheel housing is the date. This was made during the height of WW2 and the people making this new it was destined for war and this comms generator was their part in the war effort.

Attachment Attached File

A fresh coat of paint.

Attachment Attached File

Fuel pump cleaned and painted

Attachment Attached File

Cylinders cleaned and deglazed. They were surprisingly in very good shape.

Attachment Attached File

Pistons almost ready to reload. Broke two rings and had to find rings. Not an easy task. Found some NOS refrigeration compressor rings that were the same size. Also found a gasket  set That was NOS.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The gasket set had one broken gasket (for the governor cover) so I improvised. It should be fine. It was a paper gasket anyway.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is the oil pump suction screen. Pull the plug and the oil drains  and the screen comes out the be cleaned. Unit holds 7 qts of oil.

Attachment Attached File

Putting things back together. My son in law is very talented when it comes to engines of every type. He really loves old engines and we have fun on our projects.

Attachment Attached File

This is where we’re at right now. I’ve got a bunch of other pieces cleaned and painted and will be putting more together this week and hopefully have it running soon.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m going to get an electrician buddy to look at the generator end and see what I need to do to get it running.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks nice.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks great. I can appreciate the amount of work you have put in it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I’ve been there and joined. Just haven’t posted any questions yet but I’m sure I’ll have some soon
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Getting closer to running

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Pretty cool.

Amazing though that we have generators the size of a couple loaves of bread that will put out the same output now though.

And plugs haven't changed much through the years..................

The rings are interesting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Flywheel, fan and rotor installed

Attachment Attached File

Tag on the windings.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#14]
In 1943, an OHV generator engine must have been pretty high-tech stuff.

With a commutator and brushes carrying the generator's full output current, I'll bet the resulting AC waveform is...distinctive.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#15]
When I get it running I’ll get an O scope and see. Hadn’t  really thought that far ahead yet. The wires need to be replaced where they come out of the stator and I’m not really sure how to connect them yet. The original connection is some kind of cloth tape and I’m assuming a solder connection.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Getting close to firing it up. Need to finish mounting the magneto and run the wires. The radiator is the only major component left to get cleaned up and mounted.

The generator end won’t be producing power right away. I need to figure out how to wire everything so I just pulled all the brushes and holders.

If anyone can tell me how to get the pictures to not load sideways please let me know. It’s kind of frustrating
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope you post a video of it running on youtube as I like to hear the sound of those old engines
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Well done.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#19]
This is one of the coolest DIY threads I've seen in awhile.  Thanks for sharing!

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Finished the radiator today. The sides are steel and needed to be removed and sandblasted. It was soldered on so i desoldered it and cleaned and painted it. Reattaching was a pain. Had to solder the top of the shield to the radiator, bolt the base and pipes together and solder the bottom in place.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Tried to start it yesterday but haven’t got the timing just right. Got it to puff a couple of times but no bang bang

It was missing the air cleaner/intake/choke assembly so I cut and drilled a piece of 1/2” steel to match the valve cover and silver soldered some 3/4” copper into it. Then I just soldered some copper together for the manifold. I need to get an air breather. Not sure what I’m going to do for a choke yet. It would be nice to have an original piece there but I’ve been unable to find one yet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Son in law getting a face full of smoke!

So close!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#24]
It lives!! Smoking pretty good still and having an issue with the fuel pump but we ran it off and on for an hour tonight

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Great sound!

Reminds me of my Dad's IH Farmall B when I was growing up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top