Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2019 8:24:17 PM EDT
Hey guys I recently moved to Texas and a buddy I made at work is gonna take me hog hunting. I have a vepr 12 I would like to use also a sig m400 or 516 I can use. Any reason not to use the 12 gauge and what rounds for the shotgun seem to work the best.?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I take it you are not a hunter.  When you hit the stomach its a huge mess when you clean it.  While hogs can be taken with a .223 anything .30 caliber is a better choice. Shotguns using 00 Buckshot at 50 yds and in would kill it but what a mess to clean and butcher it because pellets go where you don't want them to.  Slugs might extend your range to 75yds possibly 100 with some luck and practice. Texas hunting is often done over a feeder so longer shots may not be needed but its so much nicer to clean something that was shot in the head or heart.  Eventually you will want something in .308 or 30-06, 300 Win Mag,  300 WSM because hunting Texas can often be 200 to 400 yd shots on game and sometimes its as close as 25yds so knowing where your bullet will strike at different distances is a huge advantage.  ballistics chart
77gr for your .223 is a good choice until you own something heavier.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I wont be eating them just eradicating them. I have an ar10 and a 300wsm but have no desire to carry my heavy barrel guns hunting. I have done plenty of deer hunting and varmint hunting back home. But never pigs
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey guys I recently moved to Texas and a buddy I made at work is gonna take me hog hunting. I have a vepr 12 I would like to use also a sig m400 or 516 I can use. Any reason not to use the 12 gauge and what rounds for the shotgun seem to work the best.?
View Quote

Okay how do I answer this? What do you shoot the best. How patient are you? And what range will my shots be? Those are the questions I would ask myself with and how far will I carry the weapon? If your watching a feeder or a cut you might want the longer range capability of the heavier rifle. If your spot and stalking the carbine. The shotgun will pretty much be useless once the pigs get past a certain range. But if your tight to brush where fewer shots are able to be present the shotgun is very viable. So I would wait and see what the area has to offer and choose my weapon accordingly. Who knows you may decide to try a bow and really get a rush.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Will you be day or night hunting?

What does your friend shoot? and why?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
In Texas I hunt with a 5.56, x39 or 6.8. Anything works honestly- most of your shots are under 70yds and, at least in M Texas it’s a lot of stalking.

If you want to eat go for neck shots, otherwise we usually shoot in hips so they die somewhere else.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Will be stalking in a brush filled area no feeders present. I will not be eating. My m400 is the most accurate but at 50ish yards a shotgun will do the most damage... again I font care about meat so if I blow out their guts not a big deal my buddy uses a deer rifle as that's what he has.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Use this as an excuse to get a 6.5 Grendel upper. They are cheap in the EE used

Or, go with the 556 and use heavy bullets and head/neck shots.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
The most damage will be multiple shots from a good semi auto, which will also let you shoot more accurately past the 50m or so that 12g slug will get you
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#9]
No way I’d consider a shotgun for hogs in Texas. Too much likelihood of 25 yd shots one minutes followed up by 200 the next. Hornady 75 Gr Black suits me well. Dropped 9-10 Friday night with them. If the first doesn’t do the trick then pull the trigger again.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I will check out the hornady 75g black. But I'm in east Texas where we will be hunting there is about 0% chance of 200 yard shots
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use this as an excuse to get a 6.5 Grendel upper. They are cheap in the EE used

Or, go with the 556 and use heavy bullets and head/neck shots.
View Quote
Nail't it.

I personally would not hunt them with a shotgun, that said one guy here recently posted a picture of a hog he got that way.

But yeah, use one of your rifles or seize this chance and buy a 6.5g or 6.8 or even a 300blk if you were thinking about that anyway.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
A basic 16" .223/5.56 AR with a red dot and mounted light loaded with cheap 55 grain, even steel cased, and 3-4 mags is all that you will need.

This covers you well whether hunting at 100 -300y out of a blind, ground pounding or night stalking where you might have 15-25y shots and have to carry everything for several hours, also works for vehicle borne... all of it.  Anyone who tells you otherwise has only ever done one of these things and not all 3 in one trip... or has done zero of these things.

Shotguns are good for hogs out of bow stands where you are within 25-40 yards of them. I can tell you that twice I have been in a bow stand with a shotgun and had hogs that stopped about 75 yards out and starting grazing in another direction and I felt really stupid holding my Benelli M4 when I could be makin' bacon with a .223 AR. I started carrying my 12.5" or 9" .300 blackout for the bow stand.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 300blk but I'm not overly impressed with the round and dont want to use it for hogs
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a 300blk but I'm not overly impressed with the round and dont want to use it for hogs
View Quote
I'd take the 300blk every time over a shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:45:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What he said. My 9" blackout pistol loaded with 110 grain Hornady at 2,100 FPS is more impressive with a forward-of-shoulder shot than my Benelli M4 with 00 buckshot in the same spot. Still, when it comes to rapid incapacitation, velocity is key.  55 grain .223 has this in spades.  A buckshot round at 1,300 FPS... not as much.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I know a dude that has killed a whole mess of hogs with a Remington 870 using thermal.  I would highly avoid .223/5.56 if you're in East Texas hunting forests.  Too many hogs will run after being shot.  I'd use the shotty if I were you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Why use a shotgun? Rifles are better. Your AR will work. I have a 10.5” 516 that kills hogs just fine.

Now get out there and kill something.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would highly avoid .223/5.56 if you're in East Texas hunting forests.  Too many hogs will run after being shot.  I'd use the shotty if I were you.
View Quote
Respectfully don't agree with this
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know a dude that has killed a whole mess of hogs with a Remington 870 using thermal.  I would highly avoid .223/5.56 if you're in East Texas hunting forests.  Too many hogs will run after being shot.  I'd use the shotty if I were you.
View Quote
I would choose a 5.56 AR over a shotgun any day when hunting hogs and I hunt some thick woods and swamp.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've tried both in the Everglades in moderate cover, and I'd personally take 5.56 without question.

In TX it's been straight rifle for me. I wouldn't go back to shotgun under any circumstances I can think of. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess I should clarify/rephrase.  Most of my experience with .223/5.56 hog hunting is watching others use 55gr ball ammo and sending pigs off to die in the woods, never to be seen again by anyone but the buzzards.  Horses for courses.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would choose a 5.56 AR over a shotgun any day when hunting hogs and I hunt some thick woods and swamp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good .223/5.56 = dead pigs.  The piles of pigs we've killed would agree.  Shotguns are a bad choice for hoggin' with other options out there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I've tracked pigs into yaupon thickets after shooting them, very short (10yd) visibility range

Was kinda wishing for my 8 shot Defender about then.

But not for regular hunting. IR laser covers quick, short range shots.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I will try both. I have a ton of slugs left from NY deer hunting I can use.  ( no rifle hunting allowed in much of NY before someone tells me a shotgun cant kill deer or I'm an idiot for using a shotgun)
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I will try both. I have a ton of slugs left from NY deer hunting I can use.  ( no rifle hunting allowed in much of NY before someone tells me a shotgun cant kill deer or I'm an idiot for using a shotgun)
View Quote
I don't think anyone is trying to bust your chops about this thread. IMO 223/556 has probably killed more pigs them any other cartridge. It does it plenty well with good shot placement at appropriate distance.

Use what you want, but you started this thread and asked for opinion and got it from people that hunt hogs and have been hunting hogs for a long time.

Good luck out there and post up pictures of any kills!
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't think anyone is trying to bust your chops about this thread. IMO 223/556 has probably killed more pigs them any other cartridge. It does it plenty well with good shot placement at appropriate distance.

Use what you want, but you started this thread and asked for opinion and got it from people that hunt hogs and have been hunting hogs for a long time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2! Just go kill some pigs and use common sense and you'll be alright. 5.56/.223 has killed lots of pigs. What people are pointing out is the recoil management is much easier than a 12 gauge. Use what you want and have fun that's the main thing. I still have not head shot one at a quarter of a mile with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I think it's unlucky!
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, perfect!  Shotgun will kill em too.

Go forth and slay, my son.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#28]
The 1st responder said I must have never hunted before because a 5.56 or shotgun can not be used to kill a hog. He also assumed incorrectly that I intended to use buck shot. He also said I need to buy a 300wsm... look at my F#$%ing name lol
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The 1st responder said I must have never hunted before because a 5.56 or shotgun can not be used to kill a hog. He also assumed incorrectly that I intended to use buck shot. He also said I need to buy a 300wsm... look at my F#$%ing name lol
View Quote
Copper platted BB's work pretty good if you have some little pigs hanging around a trapped sow.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
He didn't assume any of that, he covered all the bases and gave good suggestions - one of which was 300wsm. Lighten up Francis
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
He didn't assume any of that, he covered all the bases and gave good suggestions - one of which was 300wsm. Lighten up Francis
View Quote
Suggesting .300WM or .300WSM for hogs makes me disregard anything else he said.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those calibers will indeed kill hogs, though they are not a requirement.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wont be eating them just eradicating them. I have an ar10 and a 300wsm but have no desire to carry my heavy barrel guns hunting. I have done plenty of deer hunting and varmint hunting back home. But never pigs
View Quote
Thank you for helping out with hog hunting!  You will get a chance to practice many firearms skills while hunting such as quickdraw, target identification and situational awareness that few other training courses can teach you.

Over here in Louisiana, I always carry .40 with 180gr JHP.  In rifle I prefer .300 blackout or better.

Most of my hog hunting is them coming across me as I walk pipeline trails.  Hogs do not care about checking before entering a clearing or field like deer do.

Last Saturday, I had a chance encounter while gathering game camera photos on one of my Louisiana forestry conservation properties.

A group of seven hogs came out 30 yards behind me and began rolling around in two mud holes.  Hogs enjoy rolling around in water and are an excellent way to find them in the woods or open fields.

After I closed distance to 20 yards, I was able to get hits on three of the hogs with my .40 pistol.  Hogs can take mulitple hits and keep moving so be prepared to spend the next half day searching for them in the woods.

NOTE:  I always carry a basic hunting license in Louisiana.

Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just silly to say that you'll be looking to move to those calibers for hogs. If you need more gun, then you need more practice. I've been killing them for years with a .22lr and a .300Blk.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's just silly to say that you'll be looking to move to those calibers for hogs. If you need more gun, then you need more practice. I've been killing them for years with a .22lr and a .300Blk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not disagreeing, just pointing out that those calibers will indeed blow a hole in a hog you can see daylight through.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't intend to use my 300wsm. Its massively overkill on anything short of Elk. I have a 260 and a 308 ar10 I may try but again its super heavy. I'm going to a friends farm in a couple of weeks. I will post pics if I get one. I need to find a spot to dispose of them next
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#38]
For what you're talking about I'd take a 300blk sbr. Killed hundreds of hogs with mine loaded with 110 VMAX or 125 Nosler. For me it has been much more effective than 5.56, less weight and faster follow-ups than 308
Don't bother with subs. 200yds and in it's perfectly capable.

Grendel is the new hotness for me. 12.5" 123gr = same ballistics as a 10.2" 300blk up close but gains with distance.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Grendel is the new hotness for me. 12.5" 123gr = same ballistics as a 10.2" 300blk up close but gains with distance.
View Quote
I've had a ton of fun with my 12.5" Grendel and made kills out to 250 yards with it, as well as point blank. For me it does everything 300blk does and a whole more
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Killed several hogs with .223 using either hornady v max and full boar. I have also used 300 blackout with Remington hog and Barnes vortx. We aim for the head when they are broadside, never really had a problem with.223 or the 300 blackout, my opinion based on my hunts is good shot placement. Put a round through the medulla and they drop and you save the best eating parts.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Laughed pretty damn hard at that one
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Going out tomorrow morning. Hoping to find some hogs. I'm ordering a NV scope next week to slap on my sig and I found a bunch of breneke slugs going through my stuff today. I may use them tomorrow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top