Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2022 8:38:13 PM EDT
Hello Everyone!

New member here. I went on my first hog hunt last year in SC and had a ball.  Now I have the bug.  I was looking for some recommendations on converting a new to me:  DPMS LR-308 into my Hog Gun!  Mainly shooting less than 200 yards.
1) I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9X40.  I assume that is OK?
a.I am not sure what mounts to get?
2)I would also like to add flip up sights as insurance policy. Can you recommend any?
3)I would like to start with torch lights before jumping in on night vision.
a.Can you recommend a torch and mount for this rifle.
Sorry if this has been covered in the past, my ability to search over whelmed me..

Ranger94

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The Leupold will work just fine. Get the Leupold One piece AR mount and you should be ready to slay swine. There’s all kinds of good mounts Burris, dead nutz you can go as expensive as your wallet will allow. As for flip up I kinda like yankee hill or Midwest industry. Magpul are alright and really light weight. I just haven’t warmed up to them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PlayFront36] [#2]
Responses below in bold...

Originally Posted By Ranger94:
Hello Everyone!

New member here. I went on my first hog hunt last year in SC and had a ball.  Now I have the bug.  I was looking for some recommendations on converting a new to me:  DPMS LR-308 into my Hog Gun!  Mainly shooting less than 200 yards.
1) I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9X40.  I assume that is OK? - Yes, though something with a lower magnification at minimum will allow for better peripheral views. If you just plan to shoot single animals that are stationary itll work. If you want to shoot those that run afterwards you will struggle even at 3x.
a.I am not sure what mounts to get? - Get an extended mount that is correct for your scope tube size. QD is more money but may be beneficial to you depending on a couple cases. I like the ADM Recon mount. Geissele and LaRue also make good mounts. Do not bridge the mount across your front free float rail if you have one installed. It should be firmly on the upper receiver.
2)I would also like to add flip up sights as insurance policy. Can you recommend any? - Generally unnecessary. If you absolutely must have then offset Magpul Pros would be my vote.
3)I would like to start with torch lights before jumping in on night vision. - You will generally pay a good deal for a light that will be able to illuminate far enough away to make it viable for hunting. You may be better off buying a motion activated green or red feeder light. They will be cheaper and once the hogs get accustomed you will probably have more success.
a.Can you recommend a torch and mount for this rifle. - If you're dead set on a weapon mounted light you're gonna pay big money to get one that can reach out far enough so you can ID. Streamlight HLX would be cheapest option but at 100yd it could be a deer or the neighbors dog. Look at the Cloud Defensive Rein or Modlite OKW. Both have lots of mounting options available depending on your rail.
Sorry if this has been covered in the past, my ability to search over whelmed me..

Ranger94

https://link.shutterfly.com/kXFskBk63mb
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
That is perfect!  Thank you!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top