Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2021 10:31:39 AM EDT
I just saw on Reddit that new firmware was released on 2/26. I'll put it on this am.

https://www.icomjapan.com/support/firmware_driver/3248/

Changes from Version 1.30
[Spectrum scope is improved]
- A Scroll mode that can seamlessly change the displaying scope range, depending on the operating frequency, is added.
- A popup screen that displays when SPAN or EDGE change is added.
- The number of FIX EDGE memories is expanded to 4.
- Each band independently memorizes the Reference level.
- Improved the Scope function of the RS-BA1.

[Preset function is added for FT8 operation]
- A Preset function that can set each operation is added.

[Multi-function dial is enhanced]
- A Multi-function dial now works as a memory channel selector in the Memory mode.
- A Multi-function Menus Customization function is added.
- A function indicator for the Multi-function dial is added.

[Other changes]
- A Front Key Customization function that can change the function of [VOX/BK-IN], [AUTOTUNE], [], and [] is added.
- A MIC Key Customization function that can change the function of [UP] and [DOWN] is added.
- The Band Stacking Register window is added.
- While operating in the Data mode, the receive tone control is deactivated.
- The default setting of the CI-V USB Port is changed to "Unlink from [REMOTE]."
Refer to INFORMATION IC-7300 Version 1.40 for details.
The Scroll mode for the RS-BA1 Version 2 software will be added to Version 2.30.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, that looks like it is worth doing
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be doing that later for sure.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll let you guys go first.  What I have works and I'm in no hurry to change it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Done, no drama. Scary warning screen...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Done, no drama. Scary warning screen...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461668/update_png-1844947.JPG
View Quote

wow

They have a lot of confidence in their firmware upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a nearby friend upgrade mine just yesterday.

I was actually going to post it today.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did it  on Friday. Definitely has some nice features. I have my multi knob set to adjust RF power without having to push and then tap the screen. Handy for when I forget to turn down the power when switching to digital modes. The new scope features are also great.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

My new favorite feature is also the RF power adjust.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

wow

They have a lot of confidence in their firmware upgrade.
View Quote

I think their lack of confidence might be in the end user.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
- A Multi-function dial now works as a memory channel selector in the Memory mode.
View Quote

Finally! I try to use it for that every freaking time and then realize "oh, it doesn't do that like every other rig I've owned" when it doesn't work.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
You can change underwear firmware in those things? I'm off to the shack to get it done. Will also do this in my Kenwood TS-520.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Finally! I try to use it for that every freaking time and then realize "oh, it doesn't do that like every other rig I've owned" when it doesn't work.

View Quote

Serious question: Why would you need memory "channels" on an HF rig? Do you use it on 10m repeaters? I never once use "memory" feature on any of my radios. I just can't understand what it would be useful for. The dynamics of HF comms is too fluid for this.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I have memories setup for the 40m calling frequecies for our net, also have one for 7114, the local ares 80m frequency, 10m and 6m ssb calling, and a few others.

I can't believe they made it so I can reassign vox and autotune but I can't add stuff to the damn quick menu, WTF. Talk about a useless button/menu...

And what is an FT8 preset?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Serious question: Why would you need memory "channels" on an HF rig? Do you use it on 10m repeaters? I never once use "memory" feature on any of my radios. I just can't understand what it would be useful for. The dynamics of HF comms is too fluid for this.
View Quote

Nets, beacon monitoring, HF listening, all preset on right frequency and mode.

Example for my radio, I've got the major WWV stations (5/10/15 MHz, AM), the digital net (7114, Data, USB), SSB net, NCDXF beacons (14100, CW, they have other bands but I don't listen there), a bunch of SW broadcast frequencies (each WWCR transmitter, for example), air force HFGCS (example, 11175 USB), a half-dozen pirate beacons on 4 MHz I listen to (ex, "Windy" on 4102.850 KHz.) There's a few others like WEFAX freqs, channelized ham modes (SSTV, Olivia.)

Saves a lot of time v. tuning/switching.

If all I were doing was CW or SSB voice outside of nets, yeah, "channels" wouldn't do much. But most of what I do is listen for specific things and the net, and for that channels are great.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nets, beacon monitoring, HF listening, all preset on right frequency and mode.

Example for my radio, I've got the major WWV stations (5/10/15 MHz, AM), the digital net (7114, Data, USB), SSB net, NCDXF beacons (14100, CW, they have other bands but I don't listen there), a bunch of SW broadcast frequencies (each WWCR transmitter, for example), air force HFGCS (example, 11175 USB), a half-dozen pirate beacons on 4 MHz I listen to (ex, "Windy" on 4102.850 KHz.) There's a few others like WEFAX freqs, channelized ham modes (SSTV, Olivia.)

Saves a lot of time v. tuning/switching.

If all I were doing was CW or SSB voice outside of nets, yeah, "channels" wouldn't do much. But most of what I do is listen for specific things and the net, and for that channels are great.
View Quote

Interesting. I almost never venture outside of the ham bands. When I'm in the shack, I often call CQ or do "hit and run" contacts. All the nets are in my memory (between the ears). Perhaps it all comes down to what we are used to. Humans are creatures of habit. None of the memory features were available on my home made HF radio when I got into this hobby. It would take a lot of parts like variable caps, precision coils, switches for that. It was much easier to simply white down all the frequencies and post the paper on the wall. And no, no printers or computers were available back then either.
Also, I forgot about the 6 meter band since I've never used that band in my 30+ years of "hamming". HF is where the fun is.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the WWV frequencies, the 60M channels, both USB and CW, the 10M FM repeaters, and two of the 10M FM simplex channels along with various digital mode frequencies that are essentially channelized.
Rob
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Did it yesterday and my FT8 settings got messed up. I'm not sure what it did but it took me a little while to work it out to get back online.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Total noob question: do you download the update to an SD card to update the 7300?

I have a 7300 in my cart at HRO and am about to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Total noob question: do you download the update to an SD card to update the 7300?

View Quote
Yes, you need a SD card and download the update to the card.  Then insert the card into the 7300 and push update.  I followed a youtube video and it was very easy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are going to need to format the SD card.  These videos will help.  While this first video was for an older upgrade that was back in 2018, it shows everything from formating to backing up settings, unmounting the SD card, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2qQURI91g

Here is a recent video....just be sure to "unmount" the SD card before taking it out of the IC-7300.  I believe the first video has a better presentation....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLaAyWQ06g
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine arrived yesterday and has yet to be unpacked. Is it safe to assume that they don't come with an SD card and that I'll need to pick one up? Any particular size, class, or capacity?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I use a pretty small one from an old point and shoot camera, might be 8gb. I don't take many screenshots and don't record qso's so I don't need much space. Worth its weight in gold to be able to put it back to a working condition quickly if a setting gets messed up (by flrig for example.)
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#27]
From the manual-

“You can use an SD card of up to 2 GB, or an SDHC card of up to 32 GB.”
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah I had to take an old one for the 7300, all my SD cards are 64gb or more
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#29]
dumb question.

can you update the firmware via the USB port on the back of the unit via an Iphone download instead of the SD card?

All my interwebing is through am ipad.  I might have a old tower with an SD card port that hasn’t been used in years.

edit, latest 7300 shipments lack the full CD manual.   You have to download it now.

Edit. Update.

Not there yet.

I have the full manual and 1.40 Firmware update downloaded to my Ipad.  I also got it over to my work laptop to get on an SD card I liberated from my camera.  I didn’t even know the sucker had a SD card port..   But no winzip to unzip the file.   Laptop is quite locked down so I cannot even add winzip.  

I am on covid exposure lock down as well so version 1.30 for now.  

Spent an hour digging through boxes looking for the power cables for the old tower and monitor........unsuccessfully.  

I really do need to get an up to date laptop for multi use,.....digital radio tech, my 2.4 GHz RC radio stuff,, and general use.  

I hate buying computers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I really do need to get an up to date laptop for multi use,.....digital radio tech, my 2.4 GHz RC radio stuff,, and general use.  

I hate buying computers.
View Quote

I still use a laptop with Vista on it.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
dumb question.

can you update the firmware via the USB port on the back of the unit via an Iphone download instead of the SD card?

All my interwebing is through am ipad.  I might have a old tower with an SD card port that hasn’t been used in years.

edit, latest 7300 shipments lack the full CD manual.   You have to download it now.

Edit. Update.

Not there yet.

I have the full manual and 1.40 Firmware update downloaded to my Ipad.  I also got it over to my work laptop to get on an SD card I liberated from my camera.  I didn’t even know the sucker had a SD card port..   But no winzip to unzip the file.   Laptop is quite locked down so I cannot even add winzip.  

Spent an hour digging through boxes looking for the power cables for the old tower and monitor........unsuccessfully.  

I hate buying computers.
View Quote

Download / use a runtime version of 7zip portable, no need to install it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
dumb question.

Edit. Update.

Not there yet.

I hate buying computers.

thanks for that.  I will look into it.  

I got a bit better with the radio today.   Actually getting better signal out today.   Made a couple more contacts and started a QRZ logbook tonight.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Edit.

I ended up figuring it out despite being a computer dullard.

First dumbness was not knowing I had an extract function on the borrowed laptop.  I was looking for a winzip or zip program.

Second dumbness was moving the extracted file to the SD card and it was right there listed AFTER the 7300 file folder.  The 7300 couldn’t see it outside of the folder.  I ended up reformatting the SD card in the laptop and the 7300.  Then I put the data file in the IC7300 folder.

Then it saw and took the 1.40 firmware update.  

Third dumbness.......reformatting the SD card erased my saved settings on the SD card.  . I know better.

Not the end of the world, I hadn’t had all that many changes, a few waterfall setting preferences, the ZULU time, my call, my SWR auto  tunings already on 40m, 20,m etc.

I redid the waterfall settings and band tuning operations but I didn’t get them the exact same.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Great minds think alike... I also placed the file in the root directory and not in the 7300 folder! After a quick search I realized my mistake. That process though reminded me to make another backup so once the upgrade was complete it was quick to get the old settings back.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:52:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I wonder if the radio I ordered today will have the update.  Probably not.  Guess I'll find out in a few days.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:12:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Word on the street is DX Engineering received an order of 400 ic-7300 in December.  They are down to about 20 left and not sure when they will get more.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#39]
WTF, when I touch the 7300_140 file name it goes to the YES NO page and when I touch YES it does nothing. It just sits there. I can hit NO and go back through the menu but YES does nothing.

Do you have to reformat the card first?

Nevermind: You have to push the YES button for a few moments.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Hold down the “yes” button for a few seconds, if the new dat file is in the 7300 folder you are gtg.
Rob
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep, I was just touching it too fast.

The improvements are nice, especially the memory channels on the MULTI knob.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Made it past all the scary screens and it's up an running.

Very happy with the memory selection knob. Reminds me of my R-71A from 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Word on the street is DX Engineering received an order of 400 ic-7300 in December.  They are down to about 20 left and not sure when they will get more.
View Quote

They're out now, but stating an estimated ship date of 3/17 if ordered today.

HRO has them in-stock, though they now have one less.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They're out now, but stating an estimated ship date of 3/17 if ordered today.

HRO has them in-stock, though they now have one less.
View Quote

Make that 2 less.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I got mine from HRO about a week ago.  Having 4 35-45' used utility poles delivered today.  Adding a top rail fence section to each should get my up about 50'.  Going to spend the next couple days crafting a fan dipole for 80-40-20-maybe 10
Still waiting on coax to get here anyway, so will be a while yet to get back on the air.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#46]
IC 7300 A to Z #43 Firmware Version 1.40 Update Part 1

IC 7300 A to Z #44 Version 1.40 Firmware Update - Part 2

IC7300 from A to Z #45 Version 1.40 Firmware - Part 3

Nice IC-7300 v.1.40 firmware setup and features and demonstration video series.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5nsVfhe0MU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY5q9vKtcdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVUBjTcLX4

Nice IC-7300 v.1.40 firmware setup and features and demonstration video series.

View Quote
Good series, learned a few things.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I just unboxed my new IC-7300 and power supply, hooked them up, and formatted an SD card. I then downloaded the update on my laptop, updated the radio, and now they're going back into their respective boxes.

I don't have an antenna yet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just unboxed my new IC-7300 and power supply, hooked them up, and formatted an SD card. I then downloaded the update on my laptop, updated the radio, and now they're going back into their respective boxes.

I don't have an antenna yet.
View Quote
I just unboxed mine!  Haven't done any of the rest of that, yet.  Also no antenna up.  Waiting on items to build a 9:1 unun for an EFRW.  Hoping I have room for a 71' antenna, but may only be able to run a 58' wire.  

I've had a Butternut HF-6Vx in storage for years.  Need to build a counterpoise for it and then it will replace (augment?) the EFRW.

ETA: Just updated the firmware.  Too Easy!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Did the upgrade change anything that anyone liked the way it was before?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top