Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2023 9:48:43 PM EDT
Our neighbor has four Huskies and Malamutes. In years past, they’ve wandered on to our property several times. I’ve expressed concern when I was hunting on our property with my son, and two of his dogs chased off a decent buck within shooting distance while we were in a stand. To be clear, their home is several hundred yards away from ours with woods in between. Up until tonight, they’ve done well with keeping their dogs at their place more recently.

I was outside working near one of the outbuildings when I hear my kids yelling. I ran up to find two of their dogs chasing the chickens every which way- feathers flying everywhere, some bleeding, one that needed to quickly be dispatched due to severe injury and suffering. Our kids were quite tearful witnessing the whole event and trying to take care of the injured chickens. Our large breed dog was pretty much useless in defending the chickens and was just sniffing the other dogs while they were chasing the chickens. The rooster we have is timid and pretty much ram for cover and disappeared.

He drove over within a minute or so of the encounter, assuming that they were at our place because of the chickens. He was apologetic and offered to pay for the chicken. He has also offered to let me hunt his several hundred acre property in the past. I don’t want to create any ill feelings between the two of us.

How would guys respond in this situation?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd take advantage of the opportunity to make a new friend. He's a dog guy. Plus. He came over to make amends. Plus. He offered you a place to hunt. Plus plus. Chance to make a new "neighbor" for your family to call on if needed. Plus.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
seems like he was remorseful and tried to make amends.... seems pretty simple.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a big ass rooster.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Piss on the owner, shoot the dogs?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
How much field fence would it take to prevent his dogs from coming over to your place?  

Good fences make good neighbors.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
seems like he was remorseful and tried to make amends.... seems pretty simple.
View Quote

This^^^

By your own admission he has done fairly well at keeping them off your property. Crap happens. It seems he was aware crap happened, immediately addressed it, and offered compensation. He's acting like a morally straight adult should. Engage him with negotiations on the value of the chicken. Make friends with him. Reassure him that you understand that it was not intentional and you don't have any hard feelings. Tell him you appreciate the offer to compensate for the loss and use it as a chance to educate the kids about how to properly behave when crap like that happens. The hunting access sounds like a great opportunity to take the kids hunting and open up a long term relationship.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
That’s how I’d want a neighbor to respond.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Accept the neighbor's apology, and put a donkey in with the chickens.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Let's wait and see if the dogs return to terrorize your chickens (and kids) again before passing judgement on actions that need to be taken.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Inform him that it is your legal right to shoot them next time they chase your livestock.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I was hog hunting on private property one day and saw two dogs chasing a deer (shootable offense in Florida) but they got away before I could shoot one. Later that day I retrieved the card from a game cam nearby and sent the photo of the dogs and deer to the owner of the property and to a couple other guys who hunt there. The owner recognized the dogs being from a nearby property and said they have been there before and the owner was warned that guys hunt and target shoot quite often,and will not hesitate to shoot the dogs if they become an issue.

The owner called a few days later and said he went to the dogs owner and showed the photo, and said "if those dogs come back on the property and the guys are there, they will shoot your dogs, end of discussion." We hunted and shot a few more years until the property was sold and never saw those dogs again during that time.

Those dogs you are having an issue with are accustomed to chasing animals and attacking them. That will not stop and will only become worse as they get more accustomed to attacking. It may be fun to them, so regardless of how friendly you want to become with the owner, be advised the worse is yet to come and it will. Nip it in the bud now before your family become victims.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's wait and see if the dogs return to terrorize your chickens (and kids) again before passing judgement on actions that need to be taken.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I would take him up on the offer to compensate you for the bird, get a big mean rooster, and use the opportunity to hunt his land.  You said he's been doing a pretty good lately and he even came to apologize for the transgression.  If it continues to be a problem, then I would reevaluate the situation.  Guy sounds decent.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m tired of assholes’ dogs roaming free and coming onto my property and killing my chickens and my ducks so now I just shoot any dogs on my property. That having been said, your neighbor came over and offered to try and make it right. I would take him up on the offer and wave the price of the chickens and hunt his property. Good neighbors are hard to find and he sounds like a good guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top