Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2019 9:54:23 PM EDT
I’m in the ozarks and we have had a hog explosion. I have hogs rooting up my hay fields, and they need to go. I don’t have a golden goose so is it possible to get something in the $2-3000 range that I won’t feel like I’m wasting money?? (3k would be a stretch but could manage)
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My personal suggestion would be pulsar trail/apex xq38.  Short of that, call some dudes from TX to come kill them . I may know a guy.....
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Are there any outfitters in the ozarks you can recommend ?
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/We-got-HOGS-Missouri-/9-693468/
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]
There are many hog hunters in my area.  My boss and his son is big into it.  They all run dogs, and I have heard many stories around the break table about the dogs going after calves and cattle they come across.  We raise registered Dexters on our farm, and my wife would flip out if someones dog clamped down or killed one of our calves....

I've gotten the Dept of conservation involved, they have been baiting and have a trap out.  So far they have shot one boar, trapped none, but keep on trying (about 6 weeks so far).  Im at wits end, and the only things I can think of is trying a thermal scope and shooting them.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy either the Bull Creek or Jager pro trap if you have doggy boys you will always have hogs. I would start with one of those two options and rent a couple of thermal optics first. Then go with a digital scope and hand held thermal monocalor and save my money to get as good a midrange thermal as I could buy. I played with one of the new ATN Thor the other night and wasn’t as impressed as my Pulsar D50. Oh PS stay away from the Hornady steel force I’ve had five duds out of the last box. Four coyotes and one hog has been granted a Hornady reprieve! According to the game cameras I’m down to one no eared barrow that is staying on the very North East corner of my property. I kinda wonder if a neighbor has a feeder near by.

Trapping is the only real way to make a dent in their population.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]
If you watch you can find decent deals on legacy Armasight Zeus’s.

Heck there was an Apollo Clip On 640 (just clip it in front of you day scope) on TGT the other day for $3750... still kicking myself for not making an offer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Well Kenzie’s showed three in stock so I just ordered a flir pts 233. After reading forums all day, I think it will suit my needs just fine. They had a 10% off so I got it for $1979
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well Kenzie's showed three in stock so I just ordered a flir pts 233. After reading forums all day, I think it will suit my needs just fine. They had a 10% off so I got it for $1979
View Quote
Beware. You have just entered dangerous addicting territory...
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are running a farm as a business don’t forget to write the equipment off as work expense.   For you it is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are running a farm as a business don’t forget to write the equipment off as work expense.   For you it is.
View Quote
X2! Plus damages!
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’m in the ozarks and we have had a hog explosion. I have hogs rooting up my hay fields, and they need to go. I don’t have a golden goose so is it possible to get something in the $2-3000 range that I won’t feel like I’m wasting money?? (3k would be a stretch but could manage)
View Quote
There have been some NIB Pulsar APEX xq38's popping up.  They have been going for $2K.  I saw one the other day at Sheels in Des Moines but they still wanted $2,700 for it. Might call and make them an offer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
just got back from TX where we smoked 36 over 4 days.   I was running NODs with a lazer, zeroed on a a 308.   that worked real well for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top