Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2018 3:53:29 AM EDT
My state just changed their regs to allow 209 primers and in line ignitions (still iron sights only, no optics) so I am considering buying a ML for elk hunting.

I don't know anything about ML hunting and would like some suggestions on what kinds I should be looking at.  Ive perused the CVA and traditions sites and a buddy has a new T/C Pro Hunter .50 ML that he is selling.  I have a T/C center fire rifle and like their quality but the TC ML is about twice what the rest seem to be.  Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#1]
My TC M/L is an Encore; once you have a frame  you have so many options
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I started out with a Knight DISC inline and replaced it with a TC Pro Hunter.  I think it's a great rifle and have had good results on eastern whitetails with mine. I would not hesitate to take a 150 plus yard shot on a game animal (scopes are allowed here in Virginia) I don't use the blackpowder pellets, but have heard others say they've had no issues.

If buying used, check it over carefully- muzzleloaders need thorough cleaning after firing and good off season storage prep to not turn in to a rust bucket.  
Make sure the breach plug isn't frozen.  If it's a good price, I say get it. Then practice- to work up an accurate load for elk and build confidence for a heat of the moment reload.

Disclaimer- I have no experience with CVA
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dbd870:
View Quote
Is your upper a T/C or a Katahdin?  My understanding is that the factory MLs don’t separate like the centerfire ones do.  I already have a frame but my buddy said his doesn’t come apart into two.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve been looking at the CVA Wolf stainless.  It seems to have very good reviews online and I have a buddy at work who uses the same with good results.

I know you often get what you pay for but it’s hard to justify $500+ on the unshot T/C vs >$200 shipped for a CVA.

I also ready that the T/Cs often have very tight bores, has anyone experienced this?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/muzzle-loaders/great-plains-hunter-rifle.html

If you can't use optic sights, my recommendation for Elk would be the Lyman Great Plains Hunter in 54 caliber. A lot of power, ability to use conical and sabot bullets (if allowed), pre-drilled for receiver peep sights, (or tang sights). IIRC the Lyman can be swapped to use "Musket Caps" in lieu of the lesser powered #11 caps. Not positive about that though. Quick web search shows the rifles available for around $500.

I shot Lyman rifles for a long time, after starting out with a Navy Arms kit rifle long ago. To me, the T/C and Lyman products lines were the top choices for an "off the shelf" back in the 70s and 80s. Everything else was either cheaper, or much more expensive. I would be happy with either the T/C or Lyman were I to do it all over again. Personally I PREFER the "Long Rifle" pattern rifles for aesthetic reasons, a little more juice from the longer barrel, and just because /;-)).

Nothing at all wrong with the shorter carbine style guns, just not my choice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#6]
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/muzzle-loaders/great-plains-hunter-rifle.html

If you can't use optic sights, my recommendation for Elk would be the Lyman Great Plains Hunter in 54 caliber. A lot of power, ability to use conical and sabot bullets (if allowed), pre-drilled for receiver peep sights, (or tang sights). IIRC the Lyman can be swapped to use "Musket Caps" in lieu of the lesser powered #11 caps. Not positive about that though. Quick web search shows the rifles available for around $500.

I shot Lyman rifles for a long time, after starting out with a Navy Arms kit rifle long ago. To me, the T/C and Lyman products lines were the top choices for an "off the shelf" back in the 70s and 80s. Everything else was either cheaper, or much more expensive. I would be happy with either the T/C or Lyman were I to do it all over again. Personally I PREFER the "Long Rifle" pattern rifles for aesthetic reasons, a little more juice from the longer barrel, and just because /;-)).

Nothing at all wrong with the shorter carbine style guns, just not my choice.
View Quote
11.6lb, no thank you!!  In my state the seasons are too short, the terrain too steep, and the weather too bad to be carrying around a huge smoke pole like that with musket caps and an exposed ignition system.  The rules just changed last year to allow the more modern components in the OP and I want to take advantage of that.

I do have a Cabelas Pedersoli Hawken .54 in my safe that I have never even shot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
Is your upper a T/C or a Katahdin?  My understanding is that the factory MLs don't separate like the centerfire ones do.  I already have a frame but my buddy said his doesn't come apart into two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
Originally Posted By dbd870:
Is your upper a T/C or a Katahdin?  My understanding is that the factory MLs don't separate like the centerfire ones do.  I already have a frame but my buddy said his doesn't come apart into two.
Mine long gun is a Bargerra my handgun is either a MGM or Bulberry. They come off just like any other Encore or Contender barrel
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the TC Encore Pro Hunter.  It shoots great and throws 300 grain Barnes Expanders at just over 2000 fps with 120 gr Blackhorn 209 powder.  Some states do not allow sabots, and I have heard some Encore barrels don't shoot the full bore bullets well.  Have not tried anything other than sabots in mine.  If I had it all to do over again, I would probably get a CVA.  They are a lot of gun for the money.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Allen-in-NM:
I have the TC Encore Pro Hunter.  It shoots great and throws 300 grain Barnes Expanders at just over 2000 fps with 120 gr Blackhorn 209 powder.  Some states do not allow sabots, and I have heard some Encore barrels don't shoot the full bore bullets well.  Have not tried anything other than sabots in mine.  If I had it all to do over again, I would probably get a CVA.  They are a lot of gun for the money.
View Quote
I have an encore 50 cal ML and you can change barrels with other center fire rifle and pistol barrels.  It does shoot very good once I figured out what the barrel liked.  The bore is tight, doesn’t like power belts at all, shoots light out with Barnes sabots and T/C shockwaves.  I use shockeys gold pellets for now, will try the blackhorn 209 when I run out of my pellets.

I also have another T/C muzzle loader, I forget the name but it was just over $200 a couple of years ago. Breaks open like a shotgun.  Shoots as good as my encore.  The first time I went to the range with it there were two guys there shooting those CVA wolf (?) rifles.  They were under $200 and were shooting amazing groups. Plus they were stainless and my new T/C was not.

There are many choices, it is a bit of a challenge sometimes to find the right load for your particular rifle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting mine likes Barnes as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I just couldn’t stomach the cost of the TC as a first go so I bought a CVA Optima.  Step up from the Wolf but not an Accura.  It should ship on Monday so hopefully I’ll get it to the range in a week or two and see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I would buy TC over CVA, mostly because I always have. The TC Impact looks like a lot of gun for the money but I haven't shot one.

I shoot an encore 209x50 on an older encore frame.

There is a muzzleloader only version of the encore that doesn't have the removable barrel. It's called the FX something or other.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I always thought stainless in-line muzzle loaders were ghey until I decided I was going on a meat hunt instead of a mountain man reinactment. I picked up a CVA Optima and it turns out I love it. Well balanced, good handling, very accurate, and the trigger out of the box is as good as several of my custom triggers on other rifles. I had low expectations and they ere all blown away.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By airsix:
I always thought stainless in-line muzzle loaders were ghey until I decided I was going on a meat hunt instead of a mountain man reinactment. I picked up a CVA Optima and it turns out I love it. Well balanced, good handling, very accurate, and the trigger out of the box is as good as several of my custom triggers on other rifles. I had low expectations and they ere all blown away.
View Quote
I haven’t shot it yet but my initial impression of the Optima is pretty good.  The stock seems a little light but other than than the overall construction seems great and the finish looks good as well.  I bought a rear rail/peep sight to try and improve the sight radius as it’s set up more like shotgun sights.  I can’t use an optic in my state to hunt with but I think the peep with be a big improvement over the stock sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top