Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2018 4:11:47 PM EDT
Recently, my hunting buddy and I decided that we are going graduate from wild hogs and deer to black bear. We've been scouring the internet for outfitters and have found that Maine and New York are the most cost effective states to hunt in. Wanted to see what yalls opinion was on the two states and even if any of you guys have a recommended outfitter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Don’t forget to check out North Carolina and Ontario.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
what is your budget ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:
what is your budget ?
View Quote
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what would be s reasonable budget for a guided bear hunt in a good area?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:13:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#4]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what would be s reasonable budget for a guided bear hunt in a good area?
View Quote
the reason why i asked because bear hunting costs are all over the place, usually going up with different locations and species

if you want to black bear hunt in Maine you will spend anywhere from $2000-2500 for the average baited hunt. some will cost more . hound hunts in Maine can be from $2500 to $4500.

black bear in Idaho with hounds will be in the $3500 range.

Kodiak bear off of the coast of BC or Vancouver will be in the $18,000 range.

mountain grizzly in the Yukon will be $18-22k
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
the reason why i asked because bear hunting costs are all over the place, usually going up with different locations and species

if you want to black bear hunt in Maine you will spend anywhere from $2000-2500 for the average baited hunt. some will cost more . hound hunts in Maine can be from $2500 to $4500.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks.  I'm interested in a black bear hunt, preferably within driving distance of PA.  Would Maine be my best choice?

Can you recommend a guide?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks.  I'm interested in a black bear hunt, preferably within driving distance of PA.  Would Maine be my best choice?

View Quote
I would think maine would be your best option.  Maybe ontario if your willing to go to canada.  I have no first hand experience but I have heard GA is decent as they allow baiting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Maine is certainly your best bet. do you want to hunt with hounds or over bait?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes

I'd prefer bait.  It seems like a more natural hunt.  However, I'm not against dogs.

Is either more effective?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#10]

I'd prefer bait.  It seems like a more natural hunt.  However, I'm not against dogs.

View Quote
both can be challenging.  first, what is a bear size you are looking for? many first time bear hunters want a big boar but are happy for a nice framed 185lb bear.  some only want a big slob and are disappointed when they don't have one come in.  big bears are like big deer, they are not big because they're stupid.  so on a bait hunt, you may see bear at the bait every night. many of them will be smaller immature bears or sows with cubs. once in a while a slob will come in , but maybe not. some bears may fall in the 200-250 range and are great bears. many hunters will pass on that size. you may see a 300 + and those are always shooters in my book , some hunters pass on those too. I dont

hound hunting is always looked at to be an easier hunt . dogs find the bear, you go shoot it, home by lunch. this isn't the case.  good hounds will get on a bear , but 9 times out of 10 its immature.  most houndsmans in Maine will start off bait with trail cams. they check cams to see what was at it and decide to drop the tailgate or pass. many times the bear was at the bait far earlier in the night and the dogs cant track a scent far. sometimes they can.

both hunts are completely different styles of hunting , but its still hunting. no guarantees.  you may see nothing but 130-150lb bears for both hunts, which to me is the equivalent to a small 6 point buck.  can you shoot it? yup and no shame in doing so.  but if you want a fatty you need to be prepared to go home empty handed.  just because you are using a bait, or hounds, doesn't mean you will get a big boomer.

i prefer hound hunting. i hunt with a handgun and have to run less crap in the woods.  its more physically challenging as these bears don't run to the nearest road and stop and wait for you to catch up. they will go in the thickest nastiest country you will ever see, and you HAVE to get the dogs no matter what they are on.  ive been on many runs where you walk a mile in the woods to find a 80lb cub in a tree, pull the dogs and start over.   its an exciting hunt and fast paced.   bait hunting is a great hunt, just not for me anymore
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bravo_Six] [#11]
both can be challenging.  first, what is a bear size you are looking for? many first time bear hunters want a big boar but are happy for a nice framed 185lb bear.  some only want a big slob and are disappointed when they don't have one come in.  big bears are like big deer, they are not big because they're stupid.  so on a bait hunt, you may see bear at the bait every night. many of them will be smaller immature bears or sows with cubs. once in a while a slob will come in , but maybe not. some bears may fall in the 200-250 range and are great bears. many hunters will pass on that size. you may see a 300 + and those are always shooters in my book , some hunters pass on those too. I dont

hound hunting is always looked at to be an easier hunt . dogs find the bear, you go shoot it, home by lunch. this isn't the case.  good hounds will get on a bear , but 9 times out of 10 its immature.  most houndsmans in Maine will start off bait with trail cams. they check cams to see what was at it and decide to drop the tailgate or pass. many times the bear was at the bait far earlier in the night and the dogs cant track a scent far. sometimes they can.

both hunts are completely different styles of hunting , but its still hunting. no guarantees.  you may see nothing but 130-150lb bears for both hunts, which to me is the equivalent to a small 6 point buck.  can you shoot it? yup and no shame in doing so.  but if you want a fatty you need to be prepared to go home empty handed.  just because you are using a bait, or hounds, doesn't mean you will get a big boomer.

i prefer hound hunting. i hunt with a handgun and have to run less crap in the woods.  its more physically challenging as these bears don't run to the nearest road and stop and wait for you to catch up. they will go in the thickest nastiest country you will ever see, and you HAVE to get the dogs no matter what they are on.  ive been on many runs where you walk a mile in the woods to find a 80lb cub in a tree, pull the dogs and start over.   its an exciting hunt and fast paced.   bait hunting is a great hunt, just not for me anymore
View All Quotes

You totally just made me 180 on that.  I am now favoring dags.

We have to drive in PA.  Bait and dogs are a no go.  I like the physical nature of driving (doing something vs waiting).  It's just that we never see bears in my part of PA. (During bear season)

ETA- I'd be happy with any "adult" bear.  FWIW, I consider 2.5 YO deer adult, so whatever is equivalent.   Just would rather not shoot a cub.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#12]

You totally just made me 180 on that.  I am now favoring dags.

We have to drive in PA.  Bait and dogs are a no go.  I like the physical nature of driving (doing something vs waiting).  It's just that we never see bears in my part of PA. (During bear season)

ETA- I'd be happy with any "adult" bear.  FWIW, I consider 2.5 YO deer adult, so whatever is equivalent.   Just would rather not shoot a cub.
View Quote
sending you a PM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top